Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past few months my 99 golf agr has got quite hard to start. Always takes a churn to start weather I heat it or not. Battery is good and I don't seem to have any other faults. What would the next thing to look into be? Thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
Being a diesel, I'd think it's a fuel issue. I'd be checking the fuel filter and pump(s). Still worth checking with VCDS for fault codes though, have you checked the glow plugs are definitely working? Earth connections are prone to rust above passenger headlight.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was serviced a short time ago so fairly sure filter should be good, checked earth for glow plugs seems fine no rust etc, car churns a bit weather its hot or cold, got a starter motor just incase but don't think it's the problem. What would cause diesel to go back down the fuel lines, notice bubbles in the fuel line going from the filter but apparently this is normal enough. Plan to do a pd in tank lift pump conversion eventually its meant to be a good help. Just the joys of driving a 23yr old car, Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've also had air in my fuel line before, never had a problem starting her, but she was just stalling occasionally out on the road..... wiggling the fuel pipe on the filter tube i noticed it affected how much air was getting in so i just bought a couple of suitably sized Jubilee clips for the fuel pipe and nipped them up nice and snug around the filter tube. No more problem and i stopped ending up restarting the car on the side of the road. For me it was an incomplete seal round the pipe running out of the filter into the fuel pipe, air bubbles could be seen through the clear section of the pipe when i wiggled it... Luckily i didn't have to go looking for a hole in the fuel pipe....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts