Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've currently got the non turbo version and have been looking into getting a bit more power out of it. Whilst looking into this i have found i'm basically wasting my time and should just cut my losses, sell my car and buy the turbo!

What i'm wanting to know is (realistically) how much should i spend on the new car with turbo and what will i be looking at doing to get the best out of it!

Please help me guys as i'm a modding virgin. All sensible suggestions please!

·
Registered
472 Posts
how much you should spend on a new car is up to you and how much you can afford and would be willing to spend i paid 5000 for my silver 3dr full leather interior heated seats low mileage aum engine code with the ko3s turbo but that was a few years ago and im pretty sure you will be able to get them cheaper , some engines come with stronger internals and ko3 turbos while on others you get the ko3s turbos which you can get more gains when tuning , theres loads of threads on here with all the info about dif engine codes and best ways to tune them up i personally started with an apr diverter valve then the carbonio cai with forge silicone turbo and coolant hoses then a full turbo back milltek exhaust system and an apr stage 2 remap which gave me 232bhp and 240lbf of torque but then you will want to do the brakes and suspension aswell . once you start modding it your wallet will always be empty lol hope this helps

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
if you have a deep pocket then carry on and buy a 1.8t. If you just want to go fast there are loads more cars that you can spend same money on and go alot faster than you would get out the golf/1.8t.

This is not a dig at the 1.8t, just letting the modding virgin know that he is going to have to spend a fortune to get to a little over 220bhp. (which is not really that quick isit)

How ever, if you want to stick with the golf/1.8t, you going to need a minimum of,

ko3s turbo (or hybrid)

Front mount intercooler and pipe work

Custom remap

Sports Exhaust

if you go hybrid you will need bigger injectors to. hope that helps

·
Registered
472 Posts
This is not a dig at the 1.8t, just letting the modding virgin know that he is going to have to spend a fortune to get to a little over 220bhp. (which is not really that quick isit)
i suppose it depends on what you would class as a fortune if you shop around you could prob get to the 220 - 230 mark cheap enough i have spent a few quid getting mine there but i wouldnt say it cost a fortune and i suppose 220 isnt all that quick compared to some of the things running about but considering the guy is moving up from the non turbo which i think is 125bhp it should put a smile on his face [:)]

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
i suppose it depends on what you would class as a fortune if you shop around you could prob get to the 220 - 230 mark cheap enough i have spent a few quid getting mine there but i wouldnt say it cost a fortune and i suppose 220 isnt all that quick compared to some of the things running about but considering the guy is moving up from the non turbo which i think is 125bhp it should put a smile on his face
haha definately will!!

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
ok maybe i said it wrong, to get a golf 1.8t to 220bhp will cost you roughly,

Custom remap £350

Zorst £350

FMIC (cheap ebay jobbie) £250

Extras to make ebay FMIC fit, £50

turbo, Min £250 for a ko3s unless your lucky.

£1250 for rough basic spend to get the car to a nicer number. Remembering the golf is quite heavy.

Just as an example, i spent over £3k getting my audi a4 running a ko4, fmic etc and it didnt even feel that quick, i spent about £700 on bits for my scooby and was rocking up there with the 300bhp plus cars. As a newbee to modding, the man should know if he wants to mod the car to be fast, he needs to spend alot of money! there are LOADS more cars out there that can go faster for less.

Still i keep comming back to DUBs coz i love em! Dubs for daily, Jap for having fun! simples!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Gman. I've always liked the Golf GTI's look and drive and i've got up to £5000 plus whatever my non turbo makes on resale to play with for the modding. I thought it would have cost a bit more than £1250 but if that's a rough estimate then i'm more than happy! Might even be able to get myself some furry dice with the change! ha ha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts