Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning chaps,

I'm about to put a list together to improve the handling of my estate.

Will be changing the 15" wheels to 16" Montreal IIs, putting on decent Bridgestone or Hankook tyres.
It looks like the car is sitting too low, so the shocks/springs might be shot, so will be changing these for Bilstein B4 shocks and Eibach Pro springs.
I've also ordered a Whiteline BWR22XZ rear ARB, so that should help too.

I have read on here that changing the bushes would be a good idea as well, however I am a little unsure if I should go for OEM or "uprated" versions.
There was something about using TT wishbone bushes, which are around the £30 mark.

Are there others in this list that would benefit from an upgrade? If there are others that I've missed, or unnecessary...feel free to school me.
  • Wishbone bushes (front)
  • Wishbone bushes (rear)
  • Front ARB bushes (not sure if it's 19mm/21mm ?)
  • Front ARB links bushes
  • Front top mount bushes
  • Steering rack bush
  • Front subframe rear bushes
  • Rear beam axle to chassis bushes
  • Lower engine dog bone mount
Thanks

Baz

· Registered
11,653 Posts
IMHO full poly once they are fitted they'll stiffen the ride up... but can ruin the ride also but your going for Bilstein B4's with Eibach springs (tried and tested) so you should keep some comfort. (but that might be to harsh for your liking)

So if you drive on fairly good roads all the time than i'd say go full poly everything... if you drive mostly on bad roads... keep to oem bushes. if you drive on a combo than just do the 4 main big bushes and the dogbone mount with poly

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if you drive on fairly good roads all the time than i'd say go full poly everything... if you drive mostly on bad roads... keep to oem bushes. if you drive on a combo than just do the 4 main big bushes and the dogbone mount with poly
Thanks man, the four big bushes being...?

I've got the estate to appease the wife and have got a couple of kids so I'm not sure if I can go full poly.
Just sold my V6 Bora which originally had Koni street struts, H&R springs and a few powerflex bushes and it was too harsh for them.

Roads around here are pretty bad and we'll be hitting the Cornish and Devon lanes on holiday, so I'll grab OEM for the majority.

· Registered
11,653 Posts
you might want to get softer PU bushes if you carry the family around in it... Powerflex has a range that is softer, but i found that PSB bushes are softer but way better than any OEM rubber bushes... It's my go to brand now (if i have to replace bushes and they actually make them for that model and brand)

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you might want to get softer PU bushes if you carry the family around in it... Powerflex has a range that is softer, but i found that PSB bushes are softer but way better than any OEM rubber bushes... It's my go to brand now (if i have to replace bushes and they actually make them for that model and brand)
Lovely stuff, they look good. Can't find the dog bone one but that's not the end of the world.
Thanks man

1 - 8 of 8 Posts