Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon chaps,

I recently bought a MK4 Golf Estate (again..) and replaced the limp boot gas struts, with a pair of Febi Bilstein ones (P/N: 1J6827550/C), which are 500mm in length.

The problem is, when I open the boot to it's highest point, the top of the boot lid touches the very back end of the roof, marking the paintwork.

From what I can tell, there were a few different lengths of the struts, but 500mm should be the shortest.

Is there any mod/trick I can do to stop it extending so high, or are there shorter aftermarket struts available?

Thanks in advance,

Baz

· Registered
11,653 Posts
well than you're out of luck, i noticed with even the hatchback it just touches the top when fresh lifters are put on... the only solution i found was to use a stubby aerial (the really short ones) or replace it with a shark-fin type aerial ( that is if you are into the latter, I wasn't so never tried them)

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well than you're out of luck, i noticed with even the hatchback it just touches the top when fresh lifters are put on... the only solution i found was to use a stubby aerial (the really short ones) or replace it with a shark-fin type aerial ( that is if you are into the latter, I wasn't so never tried them)
OK, no worries.
I might see if I can mod a rubber stopper or channel to fit to the back end of the roof.
At least that way it might dampen any impact of metal on metal.

· Registered
11,653 Posts
My bad i thought you were on about the aerial touching the back ...So is yours touching the metal end bit where it should just run free? in that case your hatch needs adjusting and it'll need loosening the bolts that hold the hatch, than lifting it up and move it away from the metal than tighten in place. Best to do that with 2 people, but it can be done by one person it just is more difficult to do it alone... and the use of a rubber doorstopper is recommended when you do it by yourself ( it helps keeping the hatch at the same set distance while you tighten the bolts back up if you do it alone and saves the paint from damage)

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My bad i thought you were on about the aerial touching the back ...So is yours touching the metal end bit where it should just run free? in that case your hatch needs adjusting and it'll need loosening the bolts that hold the hatch, than lifting it up and move it away from the metal than tighten in place. Best to do that with 2 people, but it can be done by one person it just is more difficult to do it alone... and the use of a rubber doorstopper is recommended when you do it by yourself ( it helps keeping the hatch at the same set distance while you tighten the bolts back up if you do it alone and saves the paint from damage)
Sweet.
Correct, yeah it’s catching when it shouldn’t be.
As it happens, it’s currently at the bodyshop, I’ll ask them to see if it’s doable before I collect it.
Cheers
Baz

1 - 10 of 10 Posts