Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mrs is looking to replace her little Mk4 Ibiza soon and she fancy's following me down the VW road. She's into the Lupo GTi at the moment but another interest of her's in the Mk4 Golf Cabrio.

I've never been up close to one to pay much attention but has anyone got any views on them or perhaps a review knocking about on their HD's? What sort of variants (Engines, trim etc.) are there? Any qwerks or unique features, how do they differ from the Mk3?

Personally the roll bar put's me off a bit but it dosen't bother her coz it make her feel safe [^]

Anyone help us out then? What do you lot think of them?

Cheers for your help,

In a bit,

Leon.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I have to say - i think they are amongst the most hideous things on the road, truly awful.

That's just my view tho!

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
A guy across the close from me has a silver one, nice BBS CH wheels on it, always clean (not as clean as mine thought [:)])

But its just ugly, no offence to anyblokes out there who own one but they make you look GAY driving one.

By the way he's an Air steward[;)]

They are a reskind MK3 underneath if Im not mistaken too[:(]

LUPO GTI = cool[8D]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
They are just a MK3 with Mk4 headlamps I parked next to one the other week and the doors, rear lights, dash board, door handles, centre console were identical to a mark3

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good, a few more views like mine then, mind you were all fella's (I think), any girls got some views on them?

Personally I'm with the Lupo GTi as I can borrow that every now and then and have a bit of fun chucking it around (She does the same with my R so it's only fair)

Didn't realise it was the same dash as the 3 though, think se was looking forward to having the same sort of dials as me, this might put her off to be honest...

·
Registered
29 Posts
They ARE a MK3 golf just different bumpers, front wings, bonnet, head lights and boot lid and thats about it. Everything else is the same as MK3.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Aye it is a Mk3 with Mk4 nose. I've seen a review on Top Gear and it wasn't very complementary tbh. The Mk3 was a great car in its day but the cabrio always seemed a bit of an afterthought and trying to pass it off as a Mk4 was a bit sneaky imo. The best modern convertible for sensible money I think is the Mini (ducks awaiting incoming...)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lupo's looking better and better so far then, she's tried the Mini and is not a fan of that either, don't know how she feels about a cabrio one though? I'll have to get her to take me on an open top mini adventure [:)]

Cheers for the comments people, keep them coming...

·
Registered
586 Posts
Lupo GTI for me too (only cos I really like them [:)]). To be honest I dont mind the MK4 Cabrio but I dont like the way VW pulled a fast one making everyone think its a newer car when, like many of the aboe have mentioned, its really only a MK3. I mean you probably could get a MK3 cab and make it look like the MK4 one without much trouble.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Quote: posted by BlackpoolR32 on 21/09/2004 12:51:55

Good, a few more views like mine then, mind you were all fella's (I think), any girls got some views on them?

Purely cosmetically, I think they're *ok* - been thinking about this for a long time, and still haven't made up my mind. Maybe in a dark colour like on the vw site would be best? http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/used_cars/models/golf_mk4_cabriolet

Would never have a Lupo of any description. They're quite cute, but (IMO) very girly. What about a Smart? Fortwo cabrio if she's willing to have a dinky car like the Lupo, or the Roadster cabrio for the sporty look. I quite fancy one of the latter myself, the mpg is very attractive.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Quote: posted by BlackpoolR32 on 21/09/2004 13:07:18

I'll have to get her to take me on an open top mini adventure [:)]

that should read

I'll have to take her on a topless mini adventure [;)]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote: posted by oxford on 21/09/2004 13:37:03

Get an old Audi 80 convertible... Classic

They still look really good.

Unless they have chrome wheel arches, then you'll look like the local drug dealer[:(]

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers guys. Yep im warming to the idea of a lupo gti. Think it will look quite cool sitting next to the r32 as the front bumpers look very similar. Its like a baby version of the r32. Like the idea of his and hers cars, now leons sold the ibiza - i think i will have to sell mine too.

Thanks for everyones comments. xx

1 - 20 of 21 Posts