Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Im removing the front end of my v5 golf to do some work. Im 99% sure my aircon was never re-gassed after I had a compressor replaced years ago. I'd just like some idea of whether it is safe to remove the AC pipe in order to remove the radiator etc?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
You can CAREFULLY, give a brief press onto one of the schrader valves with a screwdriver to see if there's any pressure in the system.

Wear gloves just in case, but you should be alright without.

If it's empty/low on pressure, I'd say it's safe, but in the interest of the environment, it's meant to be vacuumed down beforehand if there's any amount of gas in the system.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can CAREFULLY, give a brief press onto one of the schrader valves with a screwdriver to see if there's any pressure in the system.

Wear gloves just in case, but you should be alright without.

If it's empty/low on pressure, I'd say it's safe, but in the interest of the environment, it's meant to be vacuumed down beforehand if there's any amount of gas in the system.
Thanks for the advice. Where would I find that valve? I am conscious of the environmental factor swell as safety so will take advice on that too. If this should be left alone even without any/much gas being present I'll leave it

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Where would I find that valve? I am conscious of the environmental factor swell as safety so will take advice on that too. If this should be left alone even without any/much gas being present I'll leave it
One on the o/s front of the engine bay, just behind the headlight. The other on the AC pipe running along the bulkhead, nearer the n/s. Keep your face out the way when you do press down on the valve.

If you are concerned/anxious at the thought of it, then it's worth paying a garage to just vacuum down the system - can't imagine they'll charge too much.

Both covered by a black cap that looks like this:
Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Auto part Automotive exterior

·
Registered
935 Posts
i changed the radiator on mine without having to dismantle the AC system, i did have someone to just hold the ac radiator thing in situ while I swap out the cooling systems rad.

this was 5 years ago... and the rad needs changing again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts