Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi lads , I drive a 1.4 petrol mk4 , I’ve ran into trouble with it as it cuts out when I’m driving. The mechanic replaced the cam and crank sensors , all the timing is correct and everything seems fine to him. What else could it be ? I checked the fuel pump and everything seems good. My fuel gauge and speedo don’t work properly , speedo doesn’t work at all and the fuel gauge fluctuates. Could that be something related to the cutting out problem ? Really stuck here lads it’s my first car and it’s in great condition, would hate to scrap it , cheers

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The issue with the fuel gauge and speedo sounds like the common issue where there's a broken wire from the speed sensor on the gearbox, assuming the sensor itself is okay. Ideally get that fixed first, and see if that sorts the cutting out issue.

Any fault lights on? And has the car been scanned for fault codes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The issue with the fuel gauge and speedo sounds like the common issue where there's a broken wire from the speed sensor on the gearbox, assuming the sensor itself is okay. Ideally get that fixed first, and see if that sorts the cutting out issue.

Any fault lights on? And has the car been scanned for fault codes?
thanks for the reply, ya the fault codes that come up are the cam and crank sensors , once they were fixed the fault codes went away but she still would cut out.

·
Registered
11,319 Posts
could be immo acting up... if i was in your shoes i would replace the cluster with a working one so you can actually see if the immo is not recognizing the keyfobs transponder... alternatively put a new battery in the keyfob to rule out that the signal is to faint because the battery is on it's last legs.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
It turns over but doesn’t start for the first few attempts , then it will start and carry on like nothing has happened
Check to see if the RPMs actually rise as the car attempts to start. If they don't, and RPMs read 0 as the car is attempting to start, then there's a wiring issue which is genuinely causing the crank position sensor to not send a signal. That is, assuming the new sensor is good.

·
VR6 GT35 4mo
11,760 Posts
Immo won't cause a failed start - it will always start and die. It also doesn't intervene once running, infact you can start it with a good key, remove it and immediately start it with a key with no pill and it'll run.

·
Registered
11,319 Posts
@adam- i would agree but my car did this to me once and it was the battery in the keyfob acting up, once replaced it was fine.. difference with this story.. no weirdness from the cluster and i could clearly see the immo warning light coming on...
( it's one of the reasons i have, messed about with vag k + can commander since it works with the cheap clone k-line vagcom cables)

and it wouldn't start, but my car was immo 1 it did ended up with a bora immo2 half fis cluster but i never had the problem again in the 8 years i owned the car.

·
VR6 GT35 4mo
11,760 Posts
Worth noting the battery for the key is for the central locking only, has no influence on the immo. Immo is RFID and gets it's power from the radio signals. Same reason a valet key with no CL works.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts