Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'll start of saying that I pretty much don't know anything about electric stuff in cars,
but befor I go to mechanic , might ask here, to know what is wrong and how much it would cost me to fix/replace.
So basically my climate control, cruise control has stopped working, there is no hot or cold air coming thru vents, the climate display is just blank.
When I switch on cruise control , there isn't even a light on the dashboard.
Both radiator fans, the small one and large one doesn't spin.
All the fuses inside the car are ok. (not sure about the fuses on battery box)
Everything else related to electric stuff, windows, radio works fine.
What could it be?
(sorry for my english)

·
Registered
73 Posts
You can lose cruise control for two non-obvious reasons:

1. Blown brake light, or faulty brake light switch under the brake pedal
2. Blown dome light (the courtesy light above the rear view mirror)

Gotta love Bosch sometimes.

(This experience is from my old PD130, not sure if it's relevant for all Mk4s)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can lose cruise control for two non-obvious reasons:

1. Blown brake light, or faulty brake light switch under the brake pedal
2. Blown dome light (the courtesy light above the rear view mirror)

Gotta love Bosch sometimes.

(This experience is from my old PD130, not sure if it's relevant for all Mk4s)
Didn't know that, thanks!
But the cruise control isn't my priority, I can drive without it, but I can't without the climate control, since it's winter time, and without any air blowing thru vents, the windows get fogged up in instantlly, can't see anything.
It's just wierd that they both just stopped working at the same time, as much as I read, they apperantlly are in some way related, soo makes sense way both stopped working at the same time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today I checked all the fuses in day light, I found out that one fuse with nummber 5 is blown, by looking at the diagram, it's seem that it's the number 5 is for the cruise & clima ?
The wierd thing is that, the fuse has a copper wire wrapped around it, which means that the previous owner had the fuse blown and wrapped it around. The clima and cruise worked since I bought the car for 3 months now like that with that fuse.
I pulled out differnet fuse with the same number 5 and plugged it where the blown one was, but it didn't work.
If I will buy a brand new one? Will it work ?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Today I checked all the fuses in day light, I found out that one fuse with nummber 5 is blown, by looking at the diagram, it's seem that it's the number 5 is for the cruise & clima ?
The wierd thing is that, the fuse has a copper wire wrapped around it, which means that the previous owner had the fuse blown and wrapped it around. The clima and cruise worked since I bought the car for 3 months now like that with that fuse.
I pulled out differnet fuse with the same number 5 and plugged it where the blown one was, but it didn't work.
I wonder if the fuse holder has been damaged by the copper wire. Are you able to look at it closely? See if there is any of the copper wire stuck in there?
Swapping a fuse of the same colour/amperage would rule out the fuse being blown. Did it blow the replacement fuse? If so that points to a problem with the climate control module (CCM)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wonder if the fuse holder has been damaged by the copper wire. Are you able to look at it closely? See if there is any of the copper wire stuck in there?
Swapping a fuse of the same colour/amperage would rule out the fuse being blown. Did it blow the replacement fuse? If so that points to a problem with the climate control module (CCM)
The replacment didn't blow.
My friend tommorw will check all the fuses with some "special" tool, adn connect pc to the car, maybe it will show whats wrong.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Which fuse was it? Fuse 5 or a 5 amp fuse elsewhere?

·
VR6 GT35 4mo
11,470 Posts
Relays with no covers, random wires, random fuses. Looks a total hack in there. Open it all up, remove all non-stock stuff and start again. Wrapping wire around fuses is an absolute fire waiting to happen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Relays with no covers, random wires, random fuses. Looks a total hack in there. Open it all up, remove all non-stock stuff and start again. Wrapping wire around fuses is an absolute fire waiting to happen.
Connected pc today to car, doesn't allow to do anything with clima module, pops up a error saying - No response from controller.. I took out the clima module and put it in different golf, the module itself works, then checked the wires for clima, turns out there is no power coming to clima..
Soo could it be a blower motor or blower motor resistor under or behinde the glove box?
Or the small fan on the radiator ?
Or just a bad wire for the clima?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts