Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ok got it now I think, now posting this then must go to the garage and sort tose damn brakes!!! comments welcome (if you can see it!?)
Posted Image

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Right, Bad news! I spent till mid night last night testing the system.

(For these first stages I had completely by-passed the abs unit, its out of the equation)

1st:

I blocked off the two pipes leading to the ABS unit from the master cylinder so I could test the master cylinder and servo. Bled the pipes and the master cylinder(from the 2 bleed nipples on the top) and the pedal was like hitting a wall - no movement atall. Good, that all seems ok.

2nd.

Tested each caliper inturn, on its own, i.e. front braking part of the master cylinder blocked of, rear braking part only going to one rear caliper. and so on around each caliper. All these went rock hard as before. with the engine off and running (it felt just as I want it about 2 inches of travel in the pedal, then as though it was solid.

3rd.

As everything so far felt good I now tried having one front and one rear conected to the master cylinder and servo. This is when things started to get a little worse.

Initially the pedal was soft and spongey. I re-bled again and this improved (slightly) but when the engine was running I could push the pedal a lot further down. It didn't go right to the floor but there was definatley too much travel and didn't feel solid.

So, the system seems to be fine on the front and rear on thier own but when both are connected this is where the the problem occurs. ??? this is confusing

I'm tempted to remove the whole ABS/ESP thing and go back to the Corrado System without ABS but 1. I dont like not being able to do something and get it to work and 2. I fancied the stability control and traction!

Any guys out there deal with hydrualics? any ideas why this could be fine independantly but course problems when front and rear are connected???? I'm thinking volume of fluid from each compartment of the master cylinder not enough........or something along those lines..??

I get a strange noise fron from the rear it sounds like air hissing out (cant be as there would be a pool of fluid on the floor to give it away) I think its fluid being squeezed through a small hole - should this make a noise if there is now air in it, or can hydraulics do this, could this be the cause of the problem......so many questions!

Ps the damn cars luck I didn't burn it to the ground last night!!!!!

Doug

Doug

21 - 23 of 23 Posts