Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Something that has always bugged me is the interior trim on my Mk4, on a few models including some 1.4's they've come as standard with a first-aid compartment on the nearside of the boot whereas with my "MATCH" special edition it didn't come equipped with this and instead just came with a metal bracket with a rubber strap to secure items into it.

I've seen on eBay that someone is selling a complete set of boot trim from a 4-Motion and I was curious to know if it would be a straight swap or if there is something physically e.g mounting holes which are different.

Does anyone happen to know, I'm under the assumption that they were all the same with the exception of some models having more storage/hideaway areas.
Also, does anyone else know if the boot trim that has the first-aid compartment is on any others apart from 4-motions? I know there's some Golfs being broken near me and wouldn't mind getting it from someone rather than through eBay and paying a premium/seen-tax

Thanks.

Edit For those who don't know what I mean take a look here: VW VOLKSWAGEN GOLF MK4 V6 BOOT SIDE CARPET TRIM SET 1998 - 2004 SHAPE | eBay

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey all,

Little update, So I managed to get myself the 4Motion trim for the boot but noticed after removing my old trim that the size of the 4motion trim is smaller and does not fit properly in the boot of models that aren't 4 motions, anyone come across this before?
It's a shame as seemed like it would fit but the netting area seem to be making contact against the inner wheel well in the boot which prevents it from having a perfect fit

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not surprised they're different. I also found out the hard way the Bora V5 plastic bumper and steel bumper bar are not the same as my V6 4Motion.
Its a strange thing to think considering you would of thought from a cost-saving point of view the shells should of been the same etc but are not, for example under the carpet & trim you can see support braces that my 16v MATCH has that I can only assume on a 4-motion does not have it, the same goes for the rear wheel wells being smaller than the lower-spec Golfs..

Either way, I've now got a set of 4-Motion boot trim that's sat in my car doing nothing if anybody wants it, if anyone does, please do let me know.

·
Registered
11,256 Posts
it's not strange the rear build of the 4 motion shell is completely different to that of a fwd model... they had to create space for the extra suspension and drivetrain parts, including making space for the exhaust, tank and spare wheel... (even the floor is different to that of a fwd model)... so yeah in the rear (although the outer dimensions are the same) the interior space is smaller thus needing less bits to be covered because of that...so most parts from the rear do not fit on fwd models although they look the same

1 - 7 of 7 Posts