Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, basically wondering if its possible to rewire the rear speaker / tweeter setup. I'm wanting rid of the horrible 6x9s on my rear parcel shelf that the last owner must have thought looked amazing.

The speaker and tweeter itself are both there and both have some sort of plug input by the looks of it, but both plugs seem to be missing. What I can see is a wiring plug going into what looks like the seatbelt mechanism and another bit of wiring with green/brown wiring coming off and then the 6x9 wiring chopped into it... so I'm assuming they have cut the plugs and connected the 6x9s. I'm guessing this is maybe why my rear interior courtesy lights don't work either (hopefully).

Is it possible to get a hold of the wiring adapters and refit them?

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
Rear speakers in a three door are about as much use as a one legged man in a butt kicking contest.He probably put the 6 X 9s in because they actually sounded a lot better than the stock rear speakers.

Why not forget about them and just improve the fronts instead?

Chris.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are the rear speakers that bad? I can assure you the Blaupunkt 6x9s aren't much better. I've got a funny feeling they came as some sort of package deal with the atrocious stereo that's also fitted because someone done a half arsed job at wiring that in too, the worst part is both the stereo and 6x9s are silver against a black interior making it look really tacky.

My plan was to rewire the rears, remove the 6x9s and fit an original parcel shelf then when I get paid buy components for the front meaning it looks original.

Where does the wiring for the rear couresty light come from?

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
The rear speakers in five door cars sound a lot better because they're mounted in an almost perfectly sealed airtight box just like the fronts.In a three door car they're mounted in a two sided flimsy metal bracket thing with the acoustic integrity of a tea strainer and will never sound any good unless you build a sealed box behind them.Anothe option would be to amp up the existing front speakers,you'd be surprised just how good they really are.

Rear courtesy light wiring runs along the top of the windows and down the A pillars.

Chris.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been to the scrappies today. No luck whatsoever, managed to grab a parcel shelf but no joy in getting interior courtesy lights (picked up an older style and the wiring plug was different), the car also had no rear speakers or tweeters... Although i did notice it had a rear seat armrest, and 12v outlet in the boot which my GT TDI doesnt :/

I got offered a seat of alloys, think they are Montreal ? for £180 second hand condition with one centre cap missing (think I could maybe get him down to £150) is it worth it? I've got 18s atm, with the centre caps missing (the wheels are obsolete so I can't find replacements for the life of me) and they are needing two tyres replacing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts