Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
no point there matey, the most that can be done to your car really is an induction kit, and an exhaust.... tuning companies tend to favour those cars that are turbocharged as the tuning potential is much greater.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Supercharger is available at a cost.But it will give you a healthy 160ish bhp approx .But as stated not a lot out there for a 2ltr,Maybe cam induction kit exhaust and thats it for average money

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Speak to Big Boys Toys, I was just looking at their new catalogue and on the back there is info about Revo and non-turbo applications... 249+VAT for the 2.0

·
Registered
487 Posts
Can be done but you really have to know your stuff.

Plus dedicte a lot of time and cash to the project.

Bear in mind BMW Petrol models aren't normally turbocharged and tuning companies still love em!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Wste of time chipping it.......I had my GTI-6 2L 16 Valve chipped noticed no difference whatsoever waste of money unless its a Turbo engine

·
Registered
66 Posts
I poped up to AMD in oxford last week to enquire about getting mine remaped. They said with a ram air, a miltek cat back system, and a remap they can guarentee between 148-155 bhp. Thats quite a steady increase if you ask me. Well worth the money!

·
Registered
918 Posts
I would be very surprised if it made that much!

I will be getting mine done once I have completed my other mods. I have a K&N panel and have part smoothed the airbox, a cat back milteck, and have a set of Neuspeed Power Pulleys on order from Awesome (cheers guys). Piper and Kent both make cams for the 2.0 8v APK engine so one of them will find its way into the head. If my CAT goes within 12 months I will look at getting the hi-flow cat from milteck to match the zorst and possibly look at a tubular manifold. After all that I'll look at a remap so that they all work together.

I expect you would see good gains from having the head polished and ported seeing as VW really strangled this engine.

TBH I am not looking for a huge bhp and would rather have well sorted chassis.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey guys - good discussion here! :)

mk1fan - did u get your pulleys? What do u think mate?
I've done a few bits to mine - 3" catback, Neuspeed P-Flow intake, Desno Iridiums & Neuspeed wires.

Been thinking bout the?pulleys for a while, just after some feedback pls people!?!

Cheers,
Toby.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Yes, I got them.

Very nice piece of kit and a huge weight saving over the standard items. I don't think they give you any more flywheel power but they reduce the transmission loss so you end up with more at the wheels. I haven't had any problems with them and the ancillary belt hasn't noticably deteriorated (which some pros have claimed).

The only dificult one to fit is the alternator pulley. It's a lot easier to remove the alternator and swap it, than to try and move the ancillaries out of the way.

The engine revs and picks up a lot quicker since fitting them and there is a noticable step up in power at 4500rpm but this maybe a MAF or oxygen sensor problem with my particular car.

In all honesty, for the 2.0 8v, they are a bit of a bling item, although I think you can swap them over to a 1.8T should you change motors so don't bin your old pulleys. With the pound so strong at the moment I am tempted with the Neuspeed cam and lightened adjustable vernier pulley. Neuspeed claim a 10% increase in power but ?350 odd plus fitting kit and fitting it make quite a high ? per bhp figure. Although, at least with a remap and a RR session the timing can then be optimissed to run on the super unleaded's. If She passes the MOT without needing any work I may just treat her to one - or a 25bhp NOS kit.

The main problem with the engine is it's age. It was old before it went into the mk3 but at least in that it still had some reasonable poke. But to pass the Euro 2 emissions VAG had to really strangle the power that, coupled with the added weight of the mkiv, means it struggles - in comparrison with the Turbos.

Incidentally, there don't appear to be any off the shelf high flow Cats for the 2.0. Milltek e-mailed me recently to say they have no intention of producing one.

If you are prepared to break the law you could get a Cat from a breakers yard, smash out the Cat internals, weld in a piece of straight pipe inside the Cat housing and you'll have a de-cat pipe that looks like a standard pipe. It will mean changing it each time for the MOT, unless you can find a 'friendly' garage. I think this would make a huge difference to the engine - but there is that risk of breaking the law. Although, as it would look like a VAG item from the outside you could say the Cat must have broken - Yes I'll get a new one Officer and a test cert to show compliance.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I got the price of the cam and vernier pulley wrong. Currently they are $440 on the Neuspeed website which is around ?220. You'll also need a fitting kit which you can get from VAG.

Not sure how much Awesome (being the Neuspeed importers) would want for the cam and vernier.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yes, I got them.

Very nice piece of kit and a huge weight saving over the standard items. I don't think they give you any more flywheel power but they reduce the transmission loss so you end up with more at the wheels. I haven't had any problems with them and the ancillary belt hasn't noticably deteriorated (which some pros have claimed).

The only dificult one to fit is the alternator pulley. It's a lot easier to remove the alternator and swap it, than to try and move the ancillaries out of the way.

The engine revs and picks up a lot quicker since fitting them and there is a noticable step up in power at 4500rpm but this maybe a MAF or oxygen sensor problem with my particular car.

In all honesty, for the 2.0 8v, they are a bit of a bling item, although I think you can swap them over to a 1.8T should you change motors so don't bin your old pulleys. With the pound so strong at the moment I am tempted with the Neuspeed cam and lightened adjustable vernier pulley. Neuspeed claim a 10% increase in power but ?350 odd plus fitting kit and fitting it make quite a high ? per bhp figure. Although, at least with a remap and a RR session the timing can then be optimissed to run on the super unleaded's. If She passes the MOT without needing any work I may just treat her to one - or a 25bhp NOS kit.

The main problem with the engine is it's age. It was old before it went into the mk3 but at least in that it still had some reasonable poke. But to pass the Euro 2 emissions VAG had to really strangle the power that, coupled with the added weight of the mkiv, means it struggles - in comparrison with the Turbos.

Incidentally, there don't appear to be any off the shelf high flow Cats for the 2.0. Milltek e-mailed me recently to say they have no intention of producing one.

If you are prepared to break the law you could get a Cat from a breakers yard, smash out the Cat internals, weld in a piece of straight pipe inside the Cat housing and you'll have a de-cat pipe that looks like a standard pipe. It will mean changing it each time for the MOT, unless you can find a 'friendly' garage. I think this would make a huge difference to the engine - but there is that risk of breaking the law. Although, as it would look like a VAG item from the outside you could say the Cat must have broken - Yes I'll get a new one Officer and a test cert to show compliance.
I have a Hi-Flo Cat and exhaust system and have noticed big gains from it. People have always doubted the figures but I know it has knocked a couple of seconds off the 0-60. Now uses very low revs to get moving and sounds amazing. The only thing I can't get is a downpipe but I think Jetex do one. Although getting a bigger bore on the downpipe may affect the lambda on the 2.0 as it already has 2 pipes coming down, so has reasonable flow already.

Use some good oil, air filter and some vpower and it's all good.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Out of interest what make & model is your cat Jase?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I had a Blueflame system. They are based up near Warrington. About J23 on the M6.

The fitting is ok, i'm generally happy with it. Performance is top. I did it in 2 stages and noticed very little performance gain from the cat back, just too much noise!

The CAT really transformed the car to be honest. I won't go into too much detail about performance comparisons as it's likely to raise a few eyebrows! But believe me when I say it is a HUGE improvement.

The exhaust is as quiet as stock generally with a nice deep sound, but then tap the gas and growls very nicely indeed!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Pulleys sure sound the way to go!!! If anyone knows a way to get them at US prices shipped to UK - that would be great! We can't be expecting the guys at Awesome, very good & helpful chaps that they are, to adjust their prices relating to $ to ? variations. :)

My car's just come back from my mechanic and the cat's definately had it. The nasty rattle, that I thought might be an exhaust hanger or something, turns out to the the core of the cat! [:cool:] However, they did swap out a faulty coolant temp sensor and a leaky brake servo vacuum hose.

Probably why I have the same 4.5k big step up in power (like mk1fan) and the car runs rough and gassy smelling! Also, I have two different o2 sensor check codes - 1 lean (how??) and 1 intermittent no signal. Surprised the o2's aren't saying rich, rich, rich with effectively no cat.

The silver lining is this - I get to justify a new high-flow cat! [:)] Should go a treat with my 3" piped Scorpion cat-back. Noisy though, but what a sweet noise!

I've been speaking to TSR and they will weld a high flow cat into an OEM downpipe for me, which should be just the job. However, the have confirmed that the Supersprint high-flow manifold/downpipe is a LHD part. D*mn LHD parts! TSR get my recommendation as v helpful chaps!!!

Thanks for the input all u guys!

Off topic - I have just had OMP brake hoses and DOT 4.1 fluid fitted... what can I saw but WOW!!! Best brakes on any car i've ever driven, I though my companies Caddy mk5 vans were good (and they have like 330mm discs all round)!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Going back to chips, there is a Morego chip for ?300 which claims to give an extra 12bhp and 17lb ft of torque, and to me those figures seem like they would make a big difference. And surely if that didn't make any difference as people have claimed, the chip couldn't have increased power by that figure, which would be a case of false advertising?? Surely 10% increase in power would make a difference??

Sorry to be difficult, but I can't understand how a 10% increase in power wouldn't be noticeable.

Chris

·
Registered
487 Posts
Pulleys sure sound the way to go!!! If anyone knows a way to get them at US prices shipped to UK - that would be great! We can't be expecting the guys at Awesome, very good & helpful chaps that they are, to adjust their prices relating to $ to ? variations. :)

My car's just come back from my mechanic and the cat's definately had it. The nasty rattle, that I thought might be an exhaust hanger or something, turns out to the the core of the cat! [:cool:] However, they did swap out a faulty coolant temp sensor and a leaky brake servo vacuum hose.

Probably why I have the same 4.5k big step up in power (like mk1fan) and the car runs rough and gassy smelling! Also, I have two different o2 sensor check codes - 1 lean (how??) and 1 intermittent no signal. Surprised the o2's aren't saying rich, rich, rich with effectively no cat.

The silver lining is this - I get to justify a new high-flow cat! [:)] Should go a treat with my 3" piped Scorpion cat-back. Noisy though, but what a sweet noise!

I've been speaking to TSR and they will weld a high flow cat into an OEM downpipe for me, which should be just the job. However, the have confirmed that the Supersprint high-flow manifold/downpipe is a LHD part. D*mn LHD parts! TSR get my recommendation as v helpful chaps!!!

Thanks for the input all u guys!

Off topic - I have just had OMP brake hoses and DOT 4.1 fluid fitted... what can I saw but WOW!!! Best brakes on any car i've ever driven, I though my companies Caddy mk5 vans were good (and they have like 330mm discs all round)!
Welding the OEM downpipe to the stainless steel one isn't a good idea. Blueflame used a flange on mine - Airtight but means when the original part rusts, I can replace it with a salvage part quite easily without cutting into the exhaust again. Plus you may experience leaks as the old part rusts against the stainless steel. The stainless exhaust expands at a different rate too when heating up so likely to break apart after a few months.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi,

AmD used to chip 2.0's but the power increase was only about 10bhp.. the re-map was designed to smooth the power delivery and get rid of the factory flat-spots!

I spent about 4.5k importing and fitting a Rotrex supercharger to my 2.0 Mk.4. Even then, it didn't require chipping because the boost on a supercharger is linear (i.e. always the same throughout the rev range) so the kit just included larger injectors and used the standard 2.0 map!

I had a custom made exhaust and a 200 CPSI CAT (from a TVR) welded in! So the car makes about 190 - 200BHP (256lbs/ft of torque).

The only reason I spent so much (as opposed to swapping it in for a 1.8T) is because I'd already spent a fortune on body work and other mods and I wanted to be different! Was it worth it? Hmm.. it's nice to have something unique, but I'll be selling the car soon and It'll probably only fetch me about 6K :eek:(

Unless you've done other major mods or the car has centimental value!.. save up for a 1.8T and get it chipped! As somebody else here said, it's the age of the engine that'll scupper your performance (8 valves are just too restrictive!)

Toff.

2.0 Supercharged 6-speed [:D]

·
Registered
9 Posts
I poped up to AMD in oxford last week to enquire about getting mine remaped. They said with a ram air, a miltek cat back system, and a remap they can guarentee between 148-155 bhp. Thats quite a steady increase if you ask me. Well worth the money!
Hi,

What engine are you running, to achieve these figures?

Is it a 2.0ltr 8v 115ps ?

Regards

1 - 19 of 19 Posts