Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Like a lot of you I enjoy driving the Mark 4 Golf Diesel - mine is stock standard but I have always wanted a Golf - especially a diesel.

The issue I am experiencing is a very distracting vibration through the steering wheel at highway speeds (the same vibration is also felt via the pedals and also the gear lever at various times).

The steering wheel vibration causes my fingers to go numb on long trips and really detracts from the enjoyment I get from driving. And will likely make my
upcoming road trip up to Scotland in May less than enjoyable unless I can get it figured out.

It seems very noticeable around 2000 rpm - in 5th gear on the motorway with light throttle. It is also felt on deceleration and at varying levels through the rev range.

The key point is the vibration disappears when I push the clutch in (tried this on the highway). So it rules out tyres, balancing and rims etc. Thanks to my wife who suggested this troubleshooting technique!

I had the DMF replaced a week ago and this did not help - although the clutch is now nicer to use...

Summary of facts:

• High mileage Golf. 146000 miles.

• Manual transmission.
  • 1.9 TDI

• In my case, the DMF is now replaced with new part - so this red
    herring can be eliminated.

• The vibration disappears completely when the clutch is pushed in -
    even at highway speeds.

• Rules out tyres/rims/balancing or steering.

• 2000 RPM - seems seems to produce the most steering wheel
    vibration. Equates to approx 65-70 MPH in 5th gear.

• Vibration occurs during all rev range - not just at this 2000 rpm
    mark.

• When engine is cold vibration is more evident.

• When decelerating the vibration is also felt.
  • The same vibration can be felt via the gear lever.

• I seem to receive too much feedback when throttle is "sharply"
    applied. Seems to imply too much engine movement.

• Last time I had the diagnostics run on the car - approx 4 months ago
    - injectors / readings were reporting in limit readings.

• I have not sensed any engine missing or under power. It is running OK. Good fuel consumption.

• Turbo is running fine - and boost is normal. Turbo replaced Nov
    2010 with reconditioned unit after Vanes sticking and car
    frequently going into limp home mode.

A question I have is would the Golf Engine/Steering/Gearbox mounts relay this vibration through the steering wheel and pedals?

One Mk4 forum poster made these comments on a vibration issue:
...was vibrating badly under acceleration - changed the dog bone
- helped slightly - then changed the drivers side mount and
completely solved it.

Someone may have encountered this problematic issue before.

So - any thoughts anyone? I'd appreciate your comments or ideas - as I've put a lot of money into my Golf and I need to keep it for a few years.

If readers think it is the engine mounts - which ones should I replace and in what order?

Thanks for reading,

Cheers,

Simon

·
You ain't seen me, right?
3,778 Posts
i would originally put it down to balancing, and then to dmf but since you have ruled both these options out, dunno. could be a mount I suppose

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I'd have a look at the engine mounts, sounds like one of the few things left.

Or maybe gearbox issues? [:S]

Check the engine for excessive movement etc. I'm just changed my dogbone mount, took about 5 minutes and only cost 25ish quid iirc.

I need to change the other engine mounts at some point, but they're a bit more involved by the look of things. Still relatively cheap to buy though [:)]

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I'm having almost identical problem. It's not too bad and doesn't seem to get any worse with increased speed but it gets annoying after a while of driving. Have you had any joy finding the solution?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

I have some quotes to replace the engine mounts - here is what my service company said:

I have had a conversation with a contact I have at Volkswagen regarding your questions. The outcome of this is that there are 3 main components that could be an issue. You have a left and a right engine mount and a gearbox mount that holds the gearbox to the front sub frame. Any of these if they were worn could cause the excessive vibration that you have witnessed.
The left and right mounts would be £187.18 each to replace. This includes labour, parts and VAT.
The gearbox mount could be replaced at a cost of £185.14. This includes labour, parts and VAT.

So I'm going to do the left and right engine mounts within the next 1-2 months and will post an update when its done. I'll do the 3rd mount (engine-gearbox mount) last.

Crossing my fingers....

Cheers

·
Registered
87 Posts
Gearbox mount is only £56 from a dealer, you could do all three yourself (using vw parts) for less than the cost of one from a garage

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi,

I have some quotes to replace the engine mounts - here is what my service company said:

I have had a conversation with a contact I have at Volkswagen regarding your questions. The outcome of this is that there are 3 main components that could be an issue. You have a left and a right engine mount and a gearbox mount that holds the gearbox to the front sub frame. Any of these if they were worn could cause the excessive vibration that you have witnessed.
The left and right mounts would be £187.18 each to replace. This includes labour, parts and VAT.
The gearbox mount could be replaced at a cost of £185.14. This includes labour, parts and VAT.

So I'm going to do the left and right engine mounts within the next 1-2 months and will post an update when its done. I'll do the 3rd mount (engine-gearbox mount) last.

Crossing my fingers....

Cheers
So "Simon2" a year later did you manage to solve the problem? I too now have this same issue.

The vibration is through the entire rev range but most noticeable around 2000rpm and felt through the steering wheel and pedals (but it can be felt where ever u touch the car) and it's making may hands numb during the 25mins journey to/from work - even now an hour after driving my hands are tingling, this is really NOT good [:(]

I've had clutch, camshaft, cambelt and other things done recently so for this to crop up is making me think of getting rid of the thing. I'm not sure but i wonder if the timing sounds slightly out, the vibration is coming from the engine as when the car is rolling but in neutral with no engine revs it is smooth (except even at idle speed the vib is just felt) and when you rev it, still in neutral, you can feel the vibration pick-up with the revs.

Has anybody else also had and fixed this issue before i succumb to hand-arm vibration syndrome (white finger) and another few hundred pounds giving to the garage just to look it over? Thanks.

·
Registered
353 Posts
i would assume it's sorted as he's not come back on since to say it's still there, i would have thought it would be the gearbox mount as the revs at 2k seems to affect it, like it's been said though it's easy enough to sort them yaself, even with basic knowledge/skills, all you need is a jack, piece of wood, the correct sockets/ratchet/tools, the parts and the knowledge of where the mounts are to be able to remove and re fit

·
Registered
74 Posts
This was the problem with the top engine mount on my car i bought 1 for £10 on ebay and never had a problem since :) Easy fit father in law did it within an hour!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Someone also suggested that my timing could be a little off as the camshaft could now have run-in as it's fairly new (4 months). A possibility? Now to find out how to check and maybe adjust that...

·
Registered
87 Posts
OK, so i purchased the THS top engine mounts as people seem to rate them and have so far changed the left-hand (gearbox) side engine mount because i'm still waiting for the new bolts from my local VW Stealer to do the right-hand side. I also have a OEM dog-bone lower engine mount on order with them. Anyway i test drove it to see if the engine would fall out only for it to shake my blinking teeth out!!! The vibration on idle is seriously terrible though goes away somewhat at speed (but still VERY much there harder than before) and all the panels and fixtures in the car are rattling and just as worse is that it's like all the sound proofing is gone from the car because all the engine noise is actually transferred into the cabin, it's gone from a comfortable road car to a rough racetrack car - it's horrid! [:O]

Should i even put the rhs mount on? Would it improve things? I sadly have my doubts [:(] The original mount was definitely knackered though but i should have stuck with my original plan of getting OEM top mounts. I do wonder how stiff OEM would be on initial install. Can anyone who has experienced THS mounts on a TDI tell me if these mounts loosen-up after some miles?

Apart from the end result the unfitting/fitting process went very well, the Golf was easy to work on, in fact along with the good weather it was a joy!

·
Registered
87 Posts
bent driveshaft?
No i doubt it because when the car is stationary with clutch in neutral the vibration is there and revving it in neutral made it more pronounced. The same when rolling in neutral (before the mount change) idle was slight more-than-normal vibration and then increased with engine speed whilst still in neutral and road wheels (with driveshafts) still doing at the road speed.

I hope it's not the DMF (dual-mass flywheel) as i had it replaced with the clutch in Aug last year! And i hope it's not the camshaft as i had that replaced in Nov last year also!!

I wonder if the MAF could be sending the wrong info to the ECU messing up the timing, could it do that? Wouldn't vag-com notice something like that?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ah i see "PokerProTDI150" has already helped answer one of my questions in another thread. The reply was:

I fitted the THS FR3 engine mount kit including dog bone ....... its awesome!

You only feel extra vibes really at first startup ... i cant say anything negative about them.

They certainlly improved the driving experience of my car, response from throttle input is now instant. Car feels more stable in all situations.

If you like using your torque ... you like these mounts.

Im steering clear of polybushes and harsh suspension, im trying to keep the car comfortable ...... THS FR3 did the job fine for me.

Thanks PokerPro that is very useful info! I'll give 'em some time then, although i think i may have an underlying issue causing the vibration issue...

·
Registered
87 Posts
OK i had to get someone to look at the car as the vibration is too bad to drive. I left the car with the garage last Saturday (24th march) in the morning. On Monday I had to call in the afternoon coz i heard nothing, they said they're "still investigating", fair enough. On Tuesday they called and said it was the engine mounts as they are too stiff and i told them that it was no-way them as it was vibrating before then and in fact the engine mounts were changed to try and fix it.

No response on Wednesday.

Today in a conversation with them they said that after their 12 hour investigation they are sure it is the engine mounts. The guy said it was found that it was the mounts because they swapped my [new] mounts with another "same/similar" model car and that cured the problem. Err how?? And i did not say they could remove the mounts! I asked if they took the dogbone mount out as it is a genuine new VW part and they said "no they only changed the top two" which apparently fixed the issue.

What do u guys think about this?

The guy said it'll cost about £450 to fit new replacement engine mounts - err what!? And just for the investigation about the same! All that time (a week) with my car for which i had to spend me money & time on the train to work for this result!? I told them to put the car back to as it was when i gave to to them as i'm annoyed because to me it seems that once they found the new engine mounts they decided to blame it on that! Personally i still think it's something not right with the cambelt and/or camshaft change which they done a few months ago. And on that i believe you have to remove the LHS engine mount when doing the camshaft. When i changed the mounts it looked like a bracket missing was missing (see thread: "going for new engine mounts - http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/467554.aspx), why do i get the impression they lost this?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts