Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

mk4 1.8T buying advice?

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  izzy_007 
#1 ·
So after alot of thinking i have decided against an engine conversion and decided to buy a new car and start a fresh project.

the first car i bought was in a pretty bad way tbh i have spent alot of money on it fixing little and big problems, so the main reason for this post is to ensure i do things right.

What are the main faults /things to look out for when buying a 1.8T golf?

any help if greatly appreciated as im wanting to get a new car within the next few months

Mat [:D]

#3 ·
cheers mate, i have done a little bit of research on the web and someone mentioned

"n75 boost control valve fail

air flow meters prone to failing

standard d/v failures

water pump (crappie plastic type)

coil packs"

was just looking for people to confirm these.. as long as i give one a thorough check it should be fine

Mat

#6 ·
yeah if you can, get someone with vag com to go with ya and scan the cars you go to see!
ahh i never thought of that! i have a cheapish scanner that picks up engine faults etc works for engine, srs, abs.

also at the ko3s reply. i never knew the difference tbh. but ill have to look into that

cheers for the feedback guys, greatly appreciated

Mat

#7 ·
yeah you could do that but some people dont like you plugging things into the car but still worth a go.

common failures as you mentioned above, im traking it that you will want to get it mapped. depending on how much bhp you will want an agu is a better engine than an aum but with a weaker turbo only 200hp max. aum will map to 215-225 roughly but if you're looking at big power, then an agu will be better after you change it to a ko3s.

the cable throttle is better imo as it is more responsive whereas the electronic ones are a bit iffy. but you can easily add cruise control to electronic throttle but not so easy on a cable one

#8 ·
yeah you could do that but some people dont like you plugging things into the car but still worth a go.

common failures as you mentioned above, im traking it that you will want to get it mapped. depending on how much bhp you will want an agu is a better engine than an aum but with a weaker turbo only 200hp max. aum will map to 215-225 roughly but if you're looking at big power, then an agu will be better after you change it to a ko3s.

the cable throttle is better imo as it is more responsive whereas the electronic ones are a bit iffy. but you can easily add cruise control to electronic throttle but not so easy on a cable one
ye i see what you mean about people being iffy with plugging something into a car.

ye i would be getting i remapped eventually. however im not wanting stupid power(i think [:p]) im not really clued up yet on big power as my current car is my first car.

i would love to beable to know inside out of tuning but that will come with time. my ideal car would be buying it and remapping to around 240 - 250 bhp. then id leave the power side and concentrate on the looks. so maybe an agu would be ideal, depending on k03s costs.

Thanks for the reply

Mat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.