Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
@SprintMPW
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after alot of thinking i have decided against an engine conversion and decided to buy a new car and start a fresh project.

the first car i bought was in a pretty bad way tbh i have spent alot of money on it fixing little and big problems, so the main reason for this post is to ensure i do things right.

What are the main faults /things to look out for when buying a 1.8T golf?

any help if greatly appreciated as im wanting to get a new car within the next few months

Mat [:D]

·
@SprintMPW
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers mate, i have done a little bit of research on the web and someone mentioned

"n75 boost control valve fail

air flow meters prone to failing

standard d/v failures

water pump (crappie plastic type)

coil packs"

was just looking for people to confirm these.. as long as i give one a thorough check it should be fine

Mat

·
i love to ski, its so relaxing
2,365 Posts
im looking for a 1.8t, i'm making sure im getting a later 1.8t with the ko3s turbo, some people said its better, so thats something to consider

·
@SprintMPW
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah if you can, get someone with vag com to go with ya and scan the cars you go to see!
ahh i never thought of that! i have a cheapish scanner that picks up engine faults etc works for engine, srs, abs.

also at the ko3s reply. i never knew the difference tbh. but ill have to look into that

cheers for the feedback guys, greatly appreciated

Mat

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
yeah you could do that but some people dont like you plugging things into the car but still worth a go.

common failures as you mentioned above, im traking it that you will want to get it mapped. depending on how much bhp you will want an agu is a better engine than an aum but with a weaker turbo only 200hp max. aum will map to 215-225 roughly but if you're looking at big power, then an agu will be better after you change it to a ko3s.

the cable throttle is better imo as it is more responsive whereas the electronic ones are a bit iffy. but you can easily add cruise control to electronic throttle but not so easy on a cable one

·
@SprintMPW
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah you could do that but some people dont like you plugging things into the car but still worth a go.

common failures as you mentioned above, im traking it that you will want to get it mapped. depending on how much bhp you will want an agu is a better engine than an aum but with a weaker turbo only 200hp max. aum will map to 215-225 roughly but if you're looking at big power, then an agu will be better after you change it to a ko3s.

the cable throttle is better imo as it is more responsive whereas the electronic ones are a bit iffy. but you can easily add cruise control to electronic throttle but not so easy on a cable one
ye i see what you mean about people being iffy with plugging something into a car.

ye i would be getting i remapped eventually. however im not wanting stupid power(i think [:p]) im not really clued up yet on big power as my current car is my first car.

i would love to beable to know inside out of tuning but that will come with time. my ideal car would be buying it and remapping to around 240 - 250 bhp. then id leave the power side and concentrate on the looks. so maybe an agu would be ideal, depending on k03s costs.

Thanks for the reply

Mat

·
@SprintMPW
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
soo i have just found a car in my price range, ok mileage 80k, in my favouite colour jazz blueeee

its a 2001 y reg aum engine.. anyone know what turbo these cars came with?

plus its a fellow guy from ukmkivs.. who sold it to the car dealerships i saw a sticker [:p]

Mat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts