Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the specs of this engine are?? I'm trying to decide if I should pick one up as my runaround car and ditch Jalopy.

Tried looking on t'internet and can't find any info on reliability or engine/options.

Can anyone help [?][?]

·
Registered
427 Posts
Should be pretty good - Umwelt is German, I believe, for 'Environment' - was one of the first diesel engines geared up to be less of a pollutant to the environment, and hence has a better MPG than many diesels of the same era - though I doubt it'll be as economical as an equivilant TDI unit. You're probably looking at a combined MPG figure in the mid to high 40's.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Quote: posted by golfv64mo on 08/02/2005 13:26:06

Should be pretty good - Umwelt is German, I believe, for 'Environment' - was one of the first diesel engines geared up to be less of a pollutant to the environment, and hence has a better MPG than many diesels of the same era - though I doubt it'll be as economical as an equivilant TDI unit. You're probably looking at a combined MPG figure in the mid to high 40's.

I only read last month that the Umwelt was the cleanest Diesel engine of the time hence the name [:)]

PS Tabs just resent your n75 valve cash.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
You will be hankering the 1.4si power after a few weeks in an Umwelt, Tabs! They are v slow, my mum had one, and even she thought it was slow compared to here 1.1 polo!! lol

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ooooh yeah thats one thing I'll miss is the 'ol K series kick [:D] It's either an Umwelt or 420SDI at the mo, both are the same price with the Rover being slightly younger and having a tad more 'umph' for the money... Would be nice to be back in a dub though.

I just want something cheap, economical and low key that I can leave anywhere and not have to worry about (everything the R wasn't lol)

@jubbly - Cheers mate!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
We have a 420 SLDi and last time I went to Brum and back it worked out at 52 mpg driving about 60/70 and trying not to accelrate hard, lol

but it goes very well indeed, suprises lots of cars, also well comfy and all the gadgets too!

im kinda looking at same for when I sell my Golf and get a cheaper car, im looking at either :-

Golf MK 3 GL Tdi

Rover 420 GSDi/SLDi

Volvo 440 TD

Passat TDi 110 with a million miles on it!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
for that cash and needed economy I would go looking at 306 turbo diesels they handle well and have plenty of oomph not quite a VW but much better than the rover

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
What about a 90/110hp Octavia......leggy ones are pretty darn cheap.

And what d'ya know - they have mostly mk4 golf mechanicals !!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts