Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, sorry my first post is a technical question [:$]

I have a Mk2 Golf 1.8 20vT and thought this would be the best place to come considering the engine I have.. Plus from the posts I've read so far you all seem nice [:D] It's an AGU 2000 engine from a Mk4 golf mapped to 200bhp.
I have two problems, both are hard to explain so please bear with me.
The first started when I was on the motorway cruising at 85mph, it suddenly lost power, if I kept my foot down it would jerk and 'kangaroo', if I took my foot off and put it back on it would be fine for a few minutes, so I slowed my daily motorway commute to 80mph cruising speed and it didn't happen again for afew weeks. It then started doing the same if I did 80mph, now I can't go over 70mph without it occasionally jerking. When I say it's loosing power, its just the engine, for example my lights don't dim.

The second problem has only been happening for a week or so, it's hesitating and holding back through all the gears, it only happens some of the time.. Mainly for the first few miles of a journey and then it runs smooth again. When I use a little more power it feels like it's slightly slowing the car down but It will always boost on full throttle, so if when it starts doing it and I put my foot down it'll never hesitate. I've noticed when at idle the rev counter needle will sit 1mm below 1000rpm when the cars running crap, when it's running fine it'll sit 1mm above 1000rpm.
Although these two problems sound connected I don't think they are, I've had the motorway problem for over 6 months as it's never really bothered me enough to look into it.. I've just had to cut down my speed to below 70mph so it's probably for the best anyway : ) otherwise the car ran great until a week ago!
I hope you understand my attempts at explaining this and any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using a QPE ecu, it operates the ECU on a throttle position/engine speed based
strategy, so I have no MAF sensor.

·
has been
7,414 Posts
i haven't used qpeng set up so have no experience of them although i'm building a mk2 20vt to run 400bhp and will be using qpeng management.

from what you are saying i'd usually suggest boost/vac leak but without a maf things are different. the high idle could still be vac leak related between tb and head (ie inlet leak)

i'd also look into speed sensor as it's speed related and maybe try another throttle body.

you may be better off trying Edition38, although not a friendly over there, there are more people running similar set up to yours and have experience with qpe system.

Olly

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks olly, I'll give E38 a try. Good luck with your Mk2.. 200bhp is crazy, 400bhp is insane, have fun!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's fixed!!! :D
I got in touch with Ben Leach from Qpeng and explained my problem. He suggested it could be the Lambda sensor and if I disconnected it and took it for a drive I could test this. I did and it fixed both problems, euro car parts.. ?60 job done. Well.. Job done after I spent 4 hours trying to unscrew it from the exhaust, that thing was on tight!! But yeah, it's all fixed, thanks for your help and I big shout out to Ben and the Quantum Performance Engenieering :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts