Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey

i am looking at getting an old golf so i can cruise around cornwall in the summer with the roof down! plus my little bro who is learning to drive can share it with me.(is this a good idea?)

has anyone ever owned a mk1 gti cabrolet? if so what are they like to drive and own?

thanks

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
You do know the MK1 is a little rocket? I would not be letting a learner alone in one!!

Awster who is long gone from here had a fairly nice one. They're even rarer than normal MKI GTIs I'd imagine so you'd have to be willing to be in no hurry to find one I'd say.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
your right. i may not let him but if it gets too much il buy him a matching non gti for him to play with, have seen a couple that i like. just want a car that wont depreciate as much as the mkivs are.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Not a car you'd sell for a long time if you found one I'd imagine..

Think there's a similar soft top Golf but it's a 1.8. Might be a GLI - not too up on my MKI's!!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
your right,if i find a nice one then i will keep it and only use it on nice days, just want to have another car to play with while i decide where my finances will go next eg anni,r32 or s3.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've got a Mk1 GTI cab as a second car, and a clipper as a 3rd.

Got both cheap but they need a fair bit of work, front and rear valance, new roof's and the suspension on the GTI is a bit sus.

I bought them as projects, clipper has a 16v in it now and I've got a 1.8T for the GTI.

You get what you pay for, dont get the first one you look at unless you know what to look for or are good with a welder!!!

Great to drive, but no power steering or brakes is a little scarey to start with.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks bora boy. i may pm you the details of some that i look at. what is the insurence like on them too?

·
Registered
162 Posts
neither are insured at the moment but the clipper was ?400 as a second car deal, the GTI would be more and I'm also 34(should be named bora old boy). I'm sure theres cheaper insurence out there.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
If you go for one of the last ones (h/J plate) they did a limited model called the Rivage - power hood, power steering etc. Lovely cars, nice to dive and like all older VW's a pleasure to own!

Find a good one and it will last you forever.

J.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Quote: posted by marriedblonde on 13/11/2004 15:05:16

Oh and you can find loads of cabs with power sterring if you look just not a really old ones.

I didn't think VW made any RHD Mk1's with power steering only some LHD models had it, TSR do a kit to fit the Mk1 but it aint cheap, this is what I'm doing.

There are alternatives, try this

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=551&KW=Mk1+power+steering

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I had a mk1 cab when i was 18!! was great fun, but insurance was killing me!! so sold it.

Ill hopefully get one for next summer, want a stock sportline. liquorice (my dog) loves cruising with the roof down, he was gutted when i sold my wizard roadster!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sounds sweet. i saw one and had a play up the duel carriage way. i was the same blue as mine with red calipers. look identical in style to my mkiv. it was great to see what they can do, i was nearly tempted to pull them over and offer to buy it on the spot

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
There's a white one up for sale privately on my route to work. Looks clean and is up for ?1800

Let me know if thats of any interest and I could get a phone number

·
Registered
48 Posts
mk1 cabriolets aren't rare at all. they were made up until L or M reg's i think. the later ones are a lot sturdier than the early models.

if you're going to get one, get a sportline or rivage edition. or if you can find one in good condition, a coco chanel edition is nice too.

A

1 - 18 of 18 Posts