Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im currently planning on upgrading the audio in my GTTDI and was wondering if anyone had already swapped the speakers out?

If so, what size speakers are they? With it being a six speaker set up for the front Im going to have to spend some time sourcing a good replacement set that will fit properly.

Also is the head unit 2xDIN or is it likely that two could be made to fit?

·
Registered
242 Posts
As a related subject, just got a German Golf V Individual brochure only to see that a radio is OPTIONAL ! The car in the brochure just has a blanking plate and a storage tray !!! 23,050 euro and no radio !! Still want one though, radio or not.

·
Registered
313 Posts
JMcQueen,

I have installed an aftermarket headunit, see this url,

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47838&SearchTerms=,alpine

also this one -

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43026&SearchTerms=,alpine

I have a set of infinty speakers that are going in soon, but will go with 4 speakers up front. I am not sure that going to 6 would make a huge difference and only adds complications. I did see somewhere that speaker 'adapters' wwere available to allow different speakers to be installed.

Be aware of the CAN-bus and that a seperate ignition sense is required, or you will have to switch off/on manually - also the aerial requires a booster or you will get poor or no reception (Autoleads PC5-136 or PC5-137 dependant on the aerial on your new headunit) The adapter for the power/speaker loom is available from autoleads also, PC2-85-4, although others may fit with a little snipping of wires etc. - I got these numbers directly from autoleads.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I would like to know too. My Radio cannot be turned up past 50% or the distortion is terrible. I have been listening too mild bass tunes at 35%, and my cones have gone.

They rattle like hell so new sub and mids are certainly on the top of the agenda.

Any info, much appreciated

·
Registered
313 Posts
Sorry guys, I am not sure what size the Golf speakers are, but I believe that 6.5 inch compnents would fit in there.

·
Registered
322 Posts
i've too been thinking of replacement speakers - i kinda have the same problem as u flex. - i've turned down the bass to all speakers - and then can have it up loud! happy with my 15" tho.

:)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
problem is tho, wont the doors vibrate like a mofo if you upgrade the speakers?? [:(]

Esp with the extra bass

·
Registered
159 Posts
no i have a full kicker system in the doors and its brilliant no rattling, hard enough to fit dur to adapters being the wrong size but apart from that it was a good investment!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hendy,

Did you stick with the 3-way speaker setup, or go for a 2-way component? Change rear door speakers? Subwoofer? - If so how was the routing of the power through the bulkhead.

Also, any pictures of how to remove the door cards would be great.[^]

·
Registered
593 Posts
col.mc,

I have spoken with cappy previously about the rainbow upgrade. Last year he could supply a 2-way set-up for the mk5 for ?100 and the 3-way was ?165. Doesn't seem too bad to me.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Quote: posted by businessboy on 07/02/2005 13:14:14

is that replacing all speakers??

3-way components will replace all the speakers in the front doors, 3 in each. I probably wouldn't bother with speakers in the back of the car, just put a sub in the boot!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Quote: posted by Generation Golf on 05/02/2005 01:36:56

As a related subject, just got a German Golf V Individual brochure only to see that a radio is OPTIONAL ! The car in the brochure just has a blanking plate and a storage tray !!! 23,050 euro and no radio !! Still want one though, radio or not.

My mum had (when they where new out) the Merc C36 AMG, and that didnt come with a radio included, and that was in the region of ?55,000!

Didnt matter, as she wanted to have a full blown amp'd system with cassette, MD and CD cahngers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts