Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

The rear wiper change seems a popular option, but i'd just like to know which people prefer and if they can both fit easily on a Mk IV. I know some people find the Polo one a bit lon if they've got a spoiler.

ta

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Aren't they both the same thing mate ? The Mk V and Polo Wiper.. it's normally the Fabia wiper that is too long for spoilers, IIRC.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Quote: posted by wallacel on 15/09/2004 09:40:39

Yeah, AFAIK there both the same.[?]

I'm sure they are mate.. all the 5's i've seen have the polo 9n rear wiper.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK - you learn something new every day! That's the great thing about this Forum! [^]

So either should be a straight swap for current Mk IV r'wiper?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great ta v much! Off to stealers to get one and possibly aero f'wipers, and bits to make Blue Peter front TDI badge and paint callipers this w'end - this is all this forum's fault!! [^]

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Quote: posted by NETDI on 15/09/2004 10:17:24

OK - you learn something new every day! That's the great thing about this Forum! [^]

So either should be a straight swap for current Mk IV r'wiper?

Yeah.. can't comment on teh fabia wiper, but the polo wiper is pretty easy.. just prise the cover off.. squeeze it top and bottom. undo the nut.. then gently twist the wiper as there is a brass ring inside that bites into the spiles on the shaft.. this can be a bit seized.. it may suddenly come off. Put new wiper and blade assembly on to shaft, tighten nut, replace cover.. eh voila !

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote: posted by tylerama on 15/09/2004 09:51:04

Quote: posted by wallacel on 15/09/2004 09:40:39

Yeah, AFAIK there both the same.[?]

I'm sure they are mate.. all the 5's i've seen have the polo 9n rear wiper.

I'm not sure they are.

I bought my polo wiper from the stealers a couple of weeks ago and on the way out saw a Mk V with what seemed the same. I compared them and the arm of the polo wiper is slightly shorter than the MK V's (1-2 cm would be an estimate).

Also, NETDI, i had to trim the cap of the polo wiper a bit to get the clip to catch

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you have a rear spoiler then the Fabia wiper WILL NOT FIT. People claim that you can trim it down and it'll fit, but the truth is, it'll look crap. Get a Polo wiper, much nicer. You can also get a Fabia wiper and an A4 Avant wiper and combine parts to make a Fabia-esque wiper that will fit under the spoiler. Personally, I went for the Polo wiper.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
[/quote]

I'm not sure they are.

I bought my polo wiper from the stealers a couple of weeks ago and on the way out saw a Mk V with what seemed the same. I compared them and the arm of the polo wiper is slightly shorter than the MK V's (1-2 cm would be an estimate).

Also, NETDI, i had to trim the cap of the polo wiper a bit to get the clip to catch

[/quote]

I have a mk5 on mine & I had to trim the cap a little for it to click in, not a big just just a few mins with the emery board, also there is a little tab inside which you need to break off. Well worth the ?17 it cost[:)]

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a mk5 on mine & I had to trim the cap a little for it to click in, not a big just just a few mins with the emery board, also there is a little tab inside which you need to break off. Well worth the ?17 it cost[:)]

You just answered my next question - ?17. Cheers Jace!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I've got the A4 / Fabia hybrid rear wiper on mine. It does fit with the spoiler, but TBH it's expensive ball ache, not to mention the interrogation from the audi and skoda parts staff you get...

Neither the Polo 9N nor the Golf 5 items were available when I did mine though.

Go for the Golf 5 item.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Ive got the Fabia rear wiper, even without a spoiler it needs fileing a little but well worth it, i personally like the fabia better than the polo rear wiper as i feel the polo one is too small for golfs without spoilers.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
LOL!

Yeah they are indeed the same thing!!!!

Tip though - Polo wiper's a tiny bit shorter than the Mrk4 item, so it wipes away about 1.5cm LESS screen.

Problem solved: Go and buy a TOURAN rear wiper blade - it's about 1.5cm longer than the Polo one, and fits PERFECTLY, and doesn't catch on spoilers etc.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote: posted by Gti Fly on 15/09/2004 21:07:57

LOL!

Yeah they are indeed the same thing!!!!

Tip though - Polo wiper's a tiny bit shorter than the Mrk4 item, so it wipes away about 1.5cm LESS screen.

Problem solved: Go and buy a TOURAN rear wiper blade - it's about 1.5cm longer than the Polo one, and fits PERFECTLY, and doesn't catch on spoilers etc.

The polo arm is definitely shorter than the MK V arm. I reckon the MK V one would fit just fine.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
I'm talking about the Polo and Touran WIPER BLADEs

Touran's BLADE is about 1.5cm longer. So if you have already got the Polo set-up, you can buy the TOURAN's blade as a replacement.

I didn't know the the ARMS where different, but now I know - thanks!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote: posted by Gti Fly on 15/09/2004 21:26:20

I'm talking about the Polo and Touran WIPER BLADEs

Touran's BLADE is about 1.5cm longer. So if you have already got the Polo set-up, you can buy the TOURAN's blade as a replacement.

I didn't know the the ARMS where different, but now I know - thanks!

Oops - didn't read carefully Gti. Sorry [:I]

But that's a handy tip, cos i did notice the smaller wipe area - cheers!

I feel a trip to the stealers coming on....

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
ah g'wan then. I've ordered a MK5 rear polo wiper arm and blade from VAG Parts ?17.25 delivered!

If the wiper blade looks too short, i'll replace it with the touran as suggested. Thanks guys. [^]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts