Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to order my car on saturday:

MkV 1.6 fsi with a few nice toys

My dad and my brother seem to think i am making a mistake and think the new A3 is the CLEAR choice. I went for an uneventful test drive today as i was stuck in traffic, but was ultimately uninspired by the interior.

Once specced (is that even a word [:I]), I dont know if I am getting any extra for my money. The only thing is the golf wheels are rubbish and i will be spending a grand or so on 18"s and ICE, whereas the 17" on the A3 are super, plus it has a fab stereo.

your thoughts........essentially its like they are twins and one merely has different colour hair

·
Registered
614 Posts
sorry but i has to be the audi for me i love the front of the golf but they have to do some thing about all that black on rear bumper the audi is more sleek for me

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well the Golf has the better reviews, but don't think there's all that much in it. Apparently MkV sales are slow so negotiate a good discount if buying from a main dealer. Check out drive the deal, broadspeed, UKnewcars, oneswoop and micronetshowrooms for broker prices.

Have you considered the special edition A3 1.6. comes with aircon and can be had for around ?13,800 base price OTR from brokers. But be warned A3 will get a facelift with new sportback style nose next year.

Styling wise I think the A3 definately has the edge - by a country mile, and looks like it might have stronger residuals too. My personal choice would be for the A3, just seems the classier car.

At the end of the day go with what you're happiest with - you're the one owning and driving it and both are pretty good cars so doubt you'll be unhappy whatever the choice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Flex,

I got the same from my brother and in the end I went for the Golf GT 2.0 TDI.

Reasons?

1. I thought the drive was better and cheaper.

2. Pound for pound it was better spec'ed.

3. I must admit the A3 dash is very good looking but the simply layout of the Golf win's it hands down...found the Audi controls too low down (down towards the gearstick), dodgy when driving.

4. Cheap shot....it won the latest What Car road test between a BMW 1 Series, Volvo S40 and Audi A3.

5. Stereo on the A3 ain't as good as the Golf. YOu would have to buy the bose option to get near to the golf's standard radio.

6. Bottomline its your choice after all its you thats got to live with it not your brother or your dad.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I've got about 18mth left till I change the mk4 but I'm already thinking about the next motor, my choice was A3 or MK5, but since finding out the next TT will come with a Diesel engine option I'm adding that to the list too.

They need to do something about those rear lights though on the MK5.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Quote: posted by kounkit on 16/09/2004 23:37:23

5. Stereo on the A3 ain't as good as the Golf. YOu would have to buy the bose option to get near to the golf's standard radio.

Em I can't see what makes one better than the other? BOSE is a speaker set up, NOT a radio and I find what you're saying a bit hard to believe, I have the 10 speaker upgrade in mine fair enough but the sound off it is a good all round sound with PLENTY of base. Why they would make a rubbish speaker/radio setup in one car and not the other when the two cars have a lot in common I don't know.

I've lots of photos of the interior/exterior of mine but there's a problem with photobucket at the moment.

I think the A3 is a better looking car, doesn't mean I wouldn't drive a MKV GTI though.

Don't be fooled into spending a small fortune on extras, I spent nearly ?9,000 on extras on mine and I'll get very little of it back.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Not sure about those standard 17inch wheels on the A3 sport, they look like plastic wheel trims. The A3 Sport that I had on Demo for a week was a sweet handling car, but the hard ride was a huge factor in me not considering it as a day to day car. The Golf is also as has been mention ? for ? a cheaper purchase, although the residual costs could level that factor.

Now a TT with a Diesel engine - You have my full attention, is this confirmed?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Quote: posted by Irish on 17/09/2004 01:51:54

Don't be fooled into spending a small fortune on extras, I spent nearly ?9,000 on extras on mine and I'll get very little of it back.

What options did you get for that sorta money!?!?!?!

I thort I was mad spending what I did on options lol

Chris

·
Registered
20 Posts
An audi TT with diesel is gonna cost by way way above 20K. But it seems strange that if you are considering the TT replacement or a TT you should be in the market for a Golf or A3 but looking at RX8, 350Z etc etc.

As for the 9000 euro extras its prob that expensive cos Irish has been whipped big time in Ireland by the VAT and VRT taxes? I spent 6 months working in Dublin and the prices of cars will bring tears to your eyes. The VRT is total rip off as its tax on top of a tax.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
You said it kounkit!!!

You have to be spending 40K plus on a car here to even get near cars that come with climate as standard (BMWs for example).

Climate control on my car was over ?2,000!! You even had to pay for a pack with ESP on it (on a bloody car with 235 lb/ft of torque!!). When you go over and include 2.0L engines the VRT tax goes up again so metallic for example will cost you less on a 1.6 A3 than it will on a 2.0L even though they will use the same amount of paint!!

Aaaaaaaaaaanyway the extras I got were:

5 star wheel upgrade, 10 speaker upgrade, heater mirrors (I was told to get these by the salesman), 6 CD changer, climate control, arm rest, full heated leather, xenons and metallic...think that's it. Few quid change of 9K that came to and never again. It's a lovely car, only last week it was just washed and I was parking it and my girlfriend noticed a man driving past and she could see him say "just lovely" and pointed to his wife, I get looks in it all the time, it is a beautiful looking car inside and out but just be warned re the extras!

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote: posted by simfin on 17/09/2004 09:14:15

Now a TT with a Diesel engine - You have my full attention, is this confirmed?

Yea Read about it in the new EVO or was it CAR, cant remember but its one of those two.[:)]

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
313 Posts
"An audi TT with diesel is gonna cost by way way above 20K. But it seems strange that if you are considering the TT replacement or a TT you should be in the market for a Golf or A3 but looking at RX8, 350Z etc etc."

My use of the car is 90% business, which is re-imbursed on a mileage rate from the company. Simple really, better economy, more money for me [:D] Not sure the RX8 and 350Z fall into the most economical vehicle catagory.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote: posted by simfin on 17/09/2004 15:21:53

"An audi TT with diesel is gonna cost by way way above 20K. But it seems strange that if you are considering the TT replacement or a TT you should be in the market for a Golf or A3 but looking at RX8, 350Z etc etc."

My use of the car is 90% business, which is re-imbursed on a mileage rate from the company. Simple really, better economy, more money for me [:D] Not sure the RX8 and 350Z fall into the most economical vehicle catagory.

Price isnt really that much of an issue, company paying will be the bills, as long as I can get my bmx in the back thats all that matters.

RX8 = Too many about now

350z= no boot space due to stupid strut brace, 2 bags from tesco max

Hard work = rewards

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The thing is my brother's contact @ vw & audi can get both very cheap. The special edition comes with climate as standard, with the 17" star wheels (gorgeous) and I thought the stereo was ok on the A3. If i got the golf I would be spending over 1k on wheels and ICE anyway so they are similar money.

I never realised Audi were SO respectable, i always thought them on a par.

Will check them out again tomorrow and test drive a.k.a rag the hell out of them and make my decision next week. (secretly i like the golf [}:)] and would rather save the 1k and put some REALLY nice wheels and ICE in there (audion bahn and 18" ACE/BSA/BBS wheels)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I not had my Mk4 long but was looking at A3 1.8T(old shape )and Golf 1.8T ,,but looks and the inside of the Golf won it , but now ,, for when I change again ,as for MK5 and new A3,,,A3 wins !! Much better looking car and styling. Sorry but looks count to me on a car and the Mk5 seems to have lost it !

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote: posted by Irish on 17/09/2004 18:12:09

Couple of pictures of mine Jason just to whet your appetite [:D]

Classy, very very classy. MkV looks very mainstream in comparison.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts