Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for V5 to go early next year. Now thinking diesel. Currently i'm heading in the BMW direction due to BHP, depreciation, rear wheel drive. Cost difference between the two is minimal.

Closest comparison i have seen was in auto express few weeks ago when they tested the AUDI A3 sportback TDi with a 120d.

Any suggestions? Both have 2 month build times.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well What Car recently tested the MkV, new A3 & BMW 1 and the MkV won. You'll have to see/drive them yourself but I've had a look at the BM and the interior is awful (could have been just the model, trim option mind) there's nee room in the back and I think it looks odd.

Anyhoo that's my opinion i'd choose the Golf although an A3 is tempting. Either way diesel is the way to go!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Also going to change the V5 early next year. Thinking diesel too.

Tempted by A3, but that's getting the new grille facelift in May of next year and can't be bothered to wait or buy a current model that will be outdated in a few months time. Will most probably go for MkV, even tho I don't like the grey plastics and saggy bum - still get's the best reviews, is cheaper than A3/BMW1 and has the blue dash which I'm a big fan of.

I think you have to go and drive them, only way you're going to decide for sure.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I doubt you will get an unbiased opinion on a Golf forum. I suggest you read around teh forums about both cars, then take them both for a test drive. It should be easy to make your mind up then.

·
Registered
102 Posts
my mum was going to get a 1 series but my dad decided against it as he flet the interior let it down compared to her 330d touring so she ended up getting a 330cd coupe instead

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I would buy an Audi A3 Sportback in that company...great looker, well built, nice interior. Perhaps not as fun to drive but then its all relative, and better overall than the BMW IMO. I would never buy a MKV, not enough of a car for the money in any area as far as Im concerned - but then thats just me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A3 sportback for me-a classy looking car car with superb interior__mk5 interior ok but... bmw1 have seen one in the flesh and side view with small windows is weird plus rear space minimal

best drive bmw

best looker/ drive ok nice diesel engine audi

·
Registered
36 Posts
The beemer has fantastic grip and handling, lots of power as a diesel.

Very poor(even worse than a golf) visibility side and rear, cant get my mountain bike in the back, zero rear passenger space, more expensive and an aerial that look like doctor who,s dogs tail.

So its the Golf for me then.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I wouldn't buy the BMW 1 series for one simple reason; it looks hideous. I've also sat in several and the interior's no better imo. I will not be buying another BMW; I don't like any of Bangle's creations and have been mildly disappointed with current BMW. The cars are over-rated imo.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Definately the 120d Sport, I'm one of those that never wanted to like a BMW, image and all that, now I don't want anything else.

As the other folk here have said - drive one - the comments about the interior etc have been applied to the MkV too, and they're selling well.

I've seen an A3 sportback and taht new grille just doen't do it for me.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I hate the look of the new audi's too. I'd rather get a slightly older A3 with the old style grill.

But I hate the look of the BMW 1's even more. Then thing looks like a shoe thats sagging in the middle! Im mixed with Bangles designs. I like the 5 and 7 series but think that the new Z looks awful and dont much care for his take on the next 3 series either.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i looked at the BMW when i was choosing, same power as the golf, the think that stopped me and maybe im mad but i didnt want people thinking "he couldnt afford a 3 series "  !!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts