Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody tell me if there is a speed pulse wire or do i have to get a can bus sensor thingy at the ?180 the shop has quoted me so i can get my sat nav working in the car

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
You should be able to use the K wire that connects the standard Gamma head unit to enable the Gala function - sound get louder with speed.

It's on pin 3 of the main power connector.

Posted Image

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

I think you'll need the gadget.... As the RCD300 radio on the Golf V appears to be completely controlled by the CAN bus.

The only connectors are speakers, power and ground, plus an alarm lead, plus the CANbus twisted pair wiring. The CANbus is used for "lights on", "radio on" and GALA - there is no switched ignition wire, nor is there a lights on cable.

The connectors on the back appear similar to the VW Delta unit - not the Gamma.

Colin

·
Registered
692 Posts
Not sure if it is CANbus on the Mk5 or not but ?180 for a transducer is steep! We bought some for the SatNav's for work (Merc Sprinter Ambulances) and we only paid around ?80+VAT from www.huntertransducers.com They are not vehicle specific as CAN is a standard and it picks off the correct data from it and converts it to a pulse for the SatNav.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is that drawing the same as the radio that comes in the mk5 ?

well that site looks good for a can bus to get the speed pulse out thanks for that

·
Registered
692 Posts
That's not the drawing of a Mk5 radio as it uses the new 'Quadlock' system. That's the 'Gamma' system in the Mk4's. I've had a look on the web for a pinout of the DELTA radio but can't find one! I do know there is a picture of it on the back of the radio though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well orpington car stereo have come back with the best price for a can bus reader for speed pulse on a sat nav ?121 does anybody know of a lower price

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK got can bus reader from orpington stereo ?121 ever body else wanted ?150/?200 looking at that nice drawing in German i take it the can bus high is pin 9 and low is pin 10 for the new mark 5 golf if it is the Steckerbelegung delta plug does anybody know if this is the correct plug ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
oi69

I have been looking into the fitting of non OEM Sat Nav units (Alpine in my case) into a Touran.

As both come equipped with the RDC 300 radio as standard, I would think the pin outs for the multi-pin connector that plugs into the radio would be the same.

The information I have for the multi-pin connector is as follows.

9 CAN high

10 CAN low

11 Telephone mute Switch

12 Negative connection, terminal 31

13 Vacant

14 Vacant

15 Positive connection, terminal 30

16 Anti-theft system control signal, SAFE

Who?s make of CAN bus reader are you using?

If it?s the hunter one, this is designed to run off the drive train CAN bus, which is a different bus and runs at a different speed to the one found in the multi-pin (radio) connector.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have told the shop what its for a Mk 5 golf and it is so i can get the speed pulse for sat nav i also told them how i wanted to connect it up IE onto the radio plug so i will ask the question 2moro when i can ring them. They did offer me 1 that did everything dimmer and switched off when ignition was turned off but i have been using the radio for 2 months now no problem so went for the cheaper 1

·
Registered
692 Posts
I did read somewhere that if you take out the glovebox you can get to the CANbus wiring there also. Whatever you do though when you fit it, DO NOT cut the CANbus wiring and just pare back the insulation and solder it around.

*PASTE*

The new VW Golf is CanBus the conection can be found behind the glove box top left, there are 2 wires twisted together, Colour Orange Brown (Can Low)/ Orange Black(Can High). Access is a bit tight but can be done.

*/END*

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the can bus wiring is on the plug that goes into the radio so why would i want to take out the glove box to get to it ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts