Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I have a mk 4 golf 2002.the speedo and fuel gauge are Abit erratic.they don't work for a few weeks.then works for a couple of days ive changed the cluster with ECU immo off.tried underneath the battery earth wires .there's no abs lights on so don't think it's wheel speed sensor.could it be a wire leading to the rear of the cluster.ive tried everything .please can someone help.ive also had it connect to a laptop.the guy says there's no signal going to the cluster

·
NooNoo
9,493 Posts
Hmmm, with the two faults it makes a diagnosis hard. Whether they are two faults or related.

Always worth checking the top of the in tank fuel pump area for dross, been through any shallow floods?

Lift rear bench, look for the black cover, remove 3 x posi screws. Examine top of pump and connections.
Carp can really gather there if you have been grass tracking or swimming through floods.

Take a look, can't hurt :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've checked wires under the battery .there's 3 of them .took them out and cleaned them.but haven't looked at ones in the harness .thanks I'll check today .I'll let u know the outcome

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's ground related. They share the same ground. Common break point is under the battery. It's a small ground wire in the harness, not one of the crimped ones onto the stud.
IMG20220127115043. Here's what I found it's just under the battery near the passenger wheels cant see anywhere where they go the wires go.could they be ground wires.one is white/brown other is yellow/brown

1 - 8 of 8 Posts