Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lads Mk4 has just been screwed. Thieves look to have been very professional. No damage to locks at all, only item stolen was the CD player (nice one nfd!) caddy removed without damage and all cable removed carefully!.

Lad returned to vehicle to find all the doors unlocked. He's not sure whether to make an insurance claim because of the lack of damage etc.

Is the Mk4 known to be easily broken into??

BTW- that'll teach him to leave the face on the CD player!!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I had my bora done same way came back to it and doors unlocked but could not see any real damage so i delocked after that easy to do and saves your locks if they try again. Thing is they stole my ashtray and left my laptop on seats and all my tools in the boot ha ha got to give it to them must have known what they was after lol

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
It's all too common problem with MK4 platform cars I'm afraid to say. Best defence is to de-lock (kits available from your local dealer) so thieves will think twice about trying to gain access.

Just a polite note to those that are aware of the security flaw - please don't post details on 'how its done' here. This is for obvious reasons [:)]

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
It's all too common problem with MK4 platform cars I'm afraid to say. Best defence is to de-lock (kits available from your local dealer) so thieves will think twice about trying to gain access.

Just a polite note to those that are aware of the security flaw - please don't post details on 'how its done' here. This is for obvious reasons [:)]
Exactly what i was thinking.. i was gonna get mine delocked before a lorry wrote it off.. lol.. oh well live n learn eh..

Sat [y]

·
Registered
579 Posts
de locked the anni at the weekend and was very suprised at just how easy it would have been to get in.

I have a spare de locking kit aswell if anyone wants to make me an offer.

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
Guys,if you don't want to delock,you know the same effect can be achieved by simply cutting one wire in each door don't you?

Chris.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Security not the best point of the Mkiv.

De-locking helps a lot, but you can make any sort of break in less likely by not leaving anything remotely nickable on show.

·
Registered
172 Posts
yeah at the end of the day if a thief wants yor head unit he will get it some how. best thing to do is always take face off, lock glove box too, leave car ingear, stearing lock and get it delocked.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Guys,if you don't want to delock,you know the same effect can be achieved by simply cutting one wire in each door don't you?

Chris.
This may be a stupid question; but hey, by cutting a wire in the doors, does this mean the doors can only be opened from the inside? Or via the button on the drivers side?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hi there, some good adive.

Can I just ask one question, what exactly is "de-locked"? not heard of that before??

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts

Chris.
This may be a stupid question; but hey, by cutting a wire in the doors, does this mean the doors can only be opened from the inside? Or via the button on the drivers side?
PM sent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for your input!

Do I detect a theme here?

I will have a look at delocking as an option. I wasn't going to do it to my own TDi as its got nothing of value inside, but it might stop a toerag been able to get into the car without damage then driving the car away.

Always a chance of the scumbag being tugged by Old bill if the car looks like its been nicked!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
always makes me laugh the way people wont publish the prblem with mk4 security... i know the owners have to be carefull towards liability but it could be posted externally on tripod etc...

everyone is so nieve to think thieves don't know this already I am a firm believer to post the exploit publicly and let people know exactly.... believe me more toerrags than owners know what it is....

even if we didnt post exactly what it is we could say basically what the flaw is and how they gain entry, this would show people how to secure it..

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I had my bora done same way came back to it and doors unlocked but could not see any real damage so i delocked after that easy to do and saves your locks if they try again. Thing is they stole my ashtray and left my laptop on seats and all my tools in the boot ha ha got to give it to them must have known what they was after lol
Sounds like it was stolen to order to me mate!! [:D]

1 - 20 of 82 Posts