Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, every time I start my Golf it starts fine but the starter make a horrible noise! sounds like a Goose! Anyone had this probvlem before!

it's a late 1999 Golf gTI Turbo with 67K on the clock!

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
615 Posts
Sounds to me like the bearings have gone.

Does it make the 'goose' noise whilst starting, or just after the engine has started, for like half a second?

If it's the later mine makes a funny noise sometimes just after the engines started, but It's not that bad, I'll pur-chase a new one if it gets worse.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's after it's started! Will a new starter solve the noise? Will it damage anything if i leave it?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Looks like it's more of a feature than a problem then? haha.

No it won't damage anything else, it'll be fine to leave it, unless it's that bad you want to go and buy another.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
It's the soloniod sticking as it release's

It will be fine for the mo.

Ebentualy the noise will stay on for longer when starting, then think about getting a new one ASAP as this means the Starter is on it's way out.

Then it won't start. [:|]

Doh!

·
Registered
842 Posts
mine does it too... but only when it is a cold start. its been to the garage to get serviced and stuff and they said nothing to worry about.. won't damage anything, so when you get round to having some cash just get a new starter motor.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I had exactly the same problem with mine. Had my mechanic take it out, spray it up etc, and for a day or so it was fine. The 'squeal' sound then returned so I bought a new Bosch motor and fitted myself. Since then it's completely gone.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Out of interest, how much was the new starter motor if you don't mind me asking? might just replace that myself if it's not going to set me back too much.

·
Registered
842 Posts
hahaha. i was gunna ask the same thing.... also are they easy to swap over, coz i'm not that mechanical minded.. can clean them up nice thats about it.

thanks

·
Registered
842 Posts
been doing abit of 'homework' on prices...

hope your all sitting down.

between ?100-?150 depending on what engine you have and stupid stuff like:- A/C or no A/C, power or no power steering, manual or auto.

hope this sheds some light on how much it will cost

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
i had this aswell

VERY EASY FIX

The noise you can here is the bendix screaching due to a build up of dust from the clutch

take off the started and give it a real good clean with brake part cleaner and it will be good as new[H]

no need to get a new one

Andy

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
According to GSF Car Parts website it's ?60 + VAT but it doesn't mention anything about aircon models! But you're probably right, it'll cost maore for differant models! I expect they'll want the old one in exchange also!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i had this aswell

VERY EASY FIX

The noise you can here is the bendix screaching due to a build up of dust from the clutch

take off the started and give it a real good clean with brake part cleaner and it will be good as new[H]

no need to get a new one

Andy
Just to clarify, the Noise happens just after it's started, right? If yes, then if I take it out and give it a good clean, it will go away?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts