Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone i need some advice on a problem i think i may have with my golf

i have a golf mk 4 gt tdi 130brake on a 52 plate with 40k on the clock. when i start the car in the mornings or when the engine is cold the engine shakes alot. i have looked in to this further and i can see that the gearbox unit it self is shaking and making a rattling noise causing the engine to shake.when the car is warm and has been driven it stops making the noise and shaking.

iv had a cambelt change on it and it has been serviced as well

is the shaking normal due to the cold weather or could there be a problem.

anyone got any ideas would be a greathelp to hears some replys

cheers.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Just dont do too much untill your engine has warmed up properly. Maybe leave it to warm up before zooming off? This morning i started my car and it sounded a bit raspy but by the time the engine warmed up, it was sound. I also dont put my footdown untill the engine temp is in the middle or 90ish.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
They are rough on start up from cold im afraid, due to the direct injection. One of the downsides of the PD.

Mine suffers a tappety sound for bout 4-5seconds and if i pull off straight away it sounds like its struggling with lots of shaking etc. Just normal i guess but it is a bit off putting

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have a 130 PD which has covered 75,000 miles. Like all diesels, its a bit noisy on first start up but I don't get any engine shaking, and the power is there from start - although I like to drive it gently until its warm. Only thing I find is the squeaks and rattles from the crap VW build quality. Still love the car though!

·
Registered
579 Posts
The engine shouldn't shake when cold,i had this problem about 4 weeks ago i cleaned out the EGR valve and changed the glowplugs and all is fine now.

Mine has done 72k and the EGR was gunked up really bad

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Yeah i cleaned my EGR and it runs smoother, but what you`ve got to imagine is if your egr valve is that bad just imagine what your inlet manifold is like etc...

My engine is more noisey than shaking, although you`d expect little "vibrations" from pretty much any diesel from cold. Anything excessive should be looked at i.e "shaking"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The power is there from the start it never loses power at all. When I started it from cold this morning I watched it happen give it exactly two minutes and then the rattle/clucking noise starts from the back end of the gear box which shakes which then causes the engine its self to shake iv checked the ERG took out the little cap and its all clear and clean, so no problems there.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

The other thing which I can think of is that could it be the lower gear box mount? Does this have bushes on it with it being worn out could this make it rattle/make a noise and could the gear box mount be loose which causes it to rattle.

<o:p> </o:p>

Iv got the car booked in at a look garage for a diagnostics as it only happens when cold so leaving the car there over night so he can see what is happing when he starts it first thing in the morning or when cold.

<o:p> </o:p>

Thanks for all your replies really appreciated

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
My car has done 45 K it only sounds rough for an instant if it's not been used for a few days. I fire it up and drive off, its fine. I just make sure to be gentle before its warmed up. First gear baulks a little bit but its ok when its warmed up.

Re the above post for not letting your engine idle - I read something like this regarding to oil pressure and the turbo.

·
Registered
518 Posts
my tdi 110 is the same as above. start it up, puff od smoke, rough idleing, very tappety. not much power once i get going until what feels like the engine sorting it self out (injectors or timing) then the car is dine few seconds after

after also read that u should start the car and drive straight away. and dont let it idle when cold.

I just find it annoying and a bit embarrassing in the morning when the car is running like shit.

·
Registered
518 Posts
my tdi 110 is the same as above. start it up, puff od smoke, rough idleing, very tappety. not much power once i get going until what feels like the engine sorting it self out (injectors or timing) then the car is dine few seconds after

after also read that u should start the car and drive straight away. and dont let it idle when cold.

I just find it annoying and a bit embarrassing in the morning when the car is running like poo

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I am sure it was on the TDI forum, they quoted an article from VW that recommends you don't let the engine idle, just start it and drive.
Yes that is correct, its due to the oil pump not being able to deliever the proper lubrication to the top end at idle when cold. In most owners handbooks it recommends you drive off within 20 seconds of starting the car, if im leaving mine idleing i normally rev it to about 2k a few times.

I remember reading a story of a guy who cherished his Ferrari...always left it about 20minutes at idle to warm up properly...thinking he was doing good until his whole top end of the V8 (?) went, suffered a nice little bill after that

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi,

I think there is an ECU program fix for the shaking when cold.

Mine is the same until warm.

Also get tapping noise when cold, could be one of the tappets a bit sticky.

Service due soon, hope new oil sorts it out

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yup, the starter monkeys under the bonnet of my Bora PD150 rattle a big bag of spanners on startup from cold... and they pour just a little drop of oil into the exhaust for good measure - just to scare me I think- then they go back to sleep after a few seconds ready for the next morning when I wake them up. They *really* get the hack in the middle of winter and put some nuts n bolts in with the spanners! but they don't stay awake too long.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts