Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 1.8T with the AUZ engine and it seems to be going through air mass sensors at a rate of knots.

I have put 4 sensors in to it so far in 18 months with from memory 3 due to signal too low and 1 due to signal too high.

I have tried genuine as well as good quality 3rd party, but none of them seem to last any longer.

The car is an ABT factory tuned car and is currently running a dry Pipercross air filter.

We thought it could be a wiring issue, but can swap and change the senors and they each show their respective errors.

Someone has suggested upgrading the sensor, but I am unsure which one to go for.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

·
NooNoo
9,450 Posts
I've ran a K & N oiled filter since 2009 on a stage 2 k03s. One MAF replacement in that time and that was my fault, broke the thing with a errant movement of a screw driver.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
*There are no upgrade sensors.
OK. I read you can fit a larger more reliable one from an AUdi or something, but losts of messing around with injectors and software tweaks to get them to work.

I was more wondering about better then factory versions.

So far I have tried genuine, Bosch and now on Delphi.

·
Registered
02 TDI 150 pd ARL
4 Posts
Try fitting a catch can into the cam breather setup ? Could be possible blow back causing the maf to get oiled up and not work ? I've taken my tip off numerous times and seen a big build up of crap in there , I got a diesel which obviously is dirtier but could be a possible cause in your case ? ✌

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try fitting a catch can into the cam breather setup ? Could be possible blow back causing the maf to get oiled up and not work ? I've taken my tip off numerous times and seen a big build up of crap in there , I got a diesel which obviously is dirtier but could be a possible cause in your case ? ✌
Thanks. These are absolutely spotless when they come out - I'm well used to cleaning them off, but these don't need it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How are they supported? Vibration kills them too.
What supported? The sensor? It is is currently in the factory housing in factory pipework coming off the air box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts