Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - we have had a misfire on our Golf 1.4 GT TSi 160PS since July (bought car new in May this year). 1st visit to garage said it was a spark plug problem on one cylinder (EML light came on).

A few weeks later misfire re-occurred, but no EML light - this time garage had the car for 4 weeks and ended up replacing top part of engine although they hadn't identified the problem!

November - misfire happened again - EML light flickered briefly - 3rd visit to garage and all they did was re-set the engine management system and they said if that didn't work, they would then look at the coil packs and the injectors (Roadside Assist swapped coil from cylinder 1 to 4, as that cylinder came up with an issue on his computer).

December 27th - here we go again - EML light came on, and misfire was worst it has ever been; Roadside came out today, and again cylinder 1 is showing a fault - so can't be the coil?? Car now at garage, and awaiting them to start work on it.

Having seen all the other comments, we are wondering if this is a widespread problem, but if so, what are VW doing about it, is it worthy of a recall, or are we in the minority and just unlucky? Would be interesting to know if all our cars were manufactured in the same period, which would perhaps indicate a short-term problem with production, or whether VW are aware of a bigger issue and keeping quiet - I woulds imagine they have produced a fair amount of these particular engines both on the mark VI and mark V.

Cheers

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just taken my GT 160 in for the free Winter Check.

The garage said it was also for recall, code 24S4 - new download for the ECU.

I haven't had any problems with it to date (bought March 2010, 4566 miles so far)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Antix,

We checked with the garage, and they said they did the same download - they've now checked the coil packs, and they are OK; they are going on to the injectors next.

Sounds like your one is OK - hope it stays that way! Thanks for the info on the recall though.

Seanieboy

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I had coil packs and plugs replaced separately and the fault was still present. For reasons unknown, when the dealer did them together it worked

Q4 09 and Q1 10 cars had problems with injectors

VW are absolutely aware of the problem as I have the proof. Interestingly, the engine is affected my a number of issues, which may all occur or may randomly occur. This is why VW are having problems - the fix is not " hard and fast".

There are also piston ring problems with some engines - your dealer may conduct a compression test.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We picked up our car end of May, so it was probably made in Q1 10. On the first garage visit, they said one cylinder had low pressure.

Sounds like VW are trying to avoid a full recall on these cars. Four visits to the garage and 7 weeks off the road is beyond a joke!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just to say I have a Q3 2009 1.4 GT TSI (picked it up on 09/10/09 so assume it must be a Q3 build) and have almost 11,000 miles under my belt. Had the first service in November and have the ECU update (gear change indicator + whatever else) - no probs so far except i have noticed engine characteristics have changed such as an acceleration delay and the infamous 'squeak' which started at 1,500 miles.

I am thinking I should renew the roadside assist which ran out after 12 months! As for misfires and EML lights - so far i've been fortunate not to have experienced it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did some more searching for any forums in other countries and came across an Oz one - interesting reading, as they have had the same issues (they call it a 118 TSi, as in 118kw engine / 160 ps), and goes back to at least May '09. VW Australia sent letters to all 6960 118TSi owners telling them to have the software update - as with you, for the engines unaffected it hasn't made much difference, but I could see that at least half a dozen people had been given new engines.

A lot of the talk was around fuel - they seem to think that standard unleaded (95 RON) is partly to blame, and the cars should be on Super (98 RON), as the 95 causes 'knock' putting the timing out and thus causing engine damage if not caught in time. Depressingly, not all the cars affected go back to May 09 neccessarily - the most recent one picked up her car in Dec 10, and went to the garage just before Christmas - there seems to be a 6 month lead time for Oz, but I don't know how this fits with the Sep 09 to Mar 10 scenario in this country.

The software update is not safety related and therefore does not require a recall. Incidentally, this is our second 1.4 GT 160; the first one was delivered in April 09 which we had for a year without any trouble, until it was written off (someone rammed us from behind)! I always thought the new one was underpowered compared to the first one, but put it down to us running it in gently for the first 1000 or so miles (which is when we had the first EML problem).

BTW - both Golfs had the 'squeak' when changing gear - we always put in down to the turbo charger kicking in.

·
Registered
295 Posts
New plugs and Coils cured mine EXACTLY same symptoms as mine I had first one plug swopped then one coil then injectors then software update and finally new plugs and coils together cured it .

You will find the squeek will come and go too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts