Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a cat back system fitt ed and is lot louder than i thought it would be, has any  one else had the same thoughts, also mine rattles wen people in the back any ideas on how to solve the problem???

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
had a cat back system fitt ed and is lot louder than i thought it would be, has any one else had the same thoughts, also mine rattles wen people in the back any ideas on how to solve the problem???
Mine was quite loud when first fitted. It will quieten down a bit.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Nope, mine got louder. Its fine when cold or just starting up. After the engine heats up and the system does it gets boomy from 3k upwards. Sounds so much better outside the car then the drone on the motorway inside the cabin which often drives me mad!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have had this system on my golf for over 2 years now and I also think it's way too loud! Recently mine also does that thing your does and vibrates when the car is laden with passengers. Mine did get much quieter after the first 6 months or so. It was quite strange in fact, it went much quieter after it was serviced using longlife oil for the first time! If it wasn't for the lifetime warranty / slight power gain I would revert to a standard one.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
The boom is bad, worse on the "discreet" hidden systems.

Jetex stainless for me next time"!

As for the rattle, try checking the "U" clamp to the back box. Some people fit them so the calmp threads and bolts are close to the rear beam, so when its loaded it touches. I just rotated mine so the smooth bit of the clamp is nearer to the beam and it has been fine for two years now!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
The boom is bad, worse on the "discreet" hidden systems.
I've just bought one of these, in full knowledge of this, but I have various ideas and a mate who's a sound engineer so hopefully all will be good once fitted and tweaked.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Let me know if and how you sort it, I've dynamated my boot floor so far and its better but not sorted. Drives me nuts on the cruise especialy if the rear sets are down. Good job I tend to be ragging the life out of it all the time nowadays! 

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
It's just dawned on me that I don't know much about your car, or if I've even seen a pic of it? I'm guessing it's a 1.8T, do you have a centre bypass or non-resonated box? I've got the resonated centre box, but it's all going on a 1.6 16V which probably produces less noise in the first place anyway. I already know how it sounds on this engine with the 4Mo style tailpipes and it's too bad at all, though saying that, it's a recording of the noise from outside.

Well, my idea involves Dynamat as well [;)] but not on the inside of the car. They do an "extreme" version which looks to be highly heat resistant as well (memory is hazy now, was reading up on it well into the early hours after a few beers...), and amazingly, lighter and yet acoustically more effective than the original version. Price tag to match, of course...

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I have a 4motion style Milltek cat-back on the Bora and i'm dissapointed it's not loud enough lol! [:D]

It's been on the car for 18 months now and from day one it's been as quiet as a mouse!, it's marginally louder than stock on initial start-up and barely noticable on idle but once on the move you just can't hear it at all, not a peep... [^o)]

I first thought that the diesel noise and the wind may be masking the noise from the driving seat but even following the car it's still in stealth mode?

Maybe just a quirk of the diesels i suppose...

Steve

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
...I've got the resonated centre box, but it's all going on a 1.6 16V
which probably produces less noise in the first place anyway. I already
know how it sounds on this engine with the 4Mo style tailpipes and it's
too bad at all, though saying that, it's a recording of the noise from
outside.
I would've thought a 1.6 would produce slightly more exhaust noise than
a 1.8T as the turbo acts as a silencer.

·
Registered
447 Posts
All the people saying that your miltek is too loud / too quiet, can you state what downpipe/cat combo you have and if you have a middle silencer or the front silencer bypass option.

I am concerned about the noise level, I want mine to be quite loud and aggressive outside, but not too boomy inside. The combo I am thinking of going for is 3" downpipe and de-cat, 2.5" cat back milltek with the front silencer bypass.

My previous car/exhaust combo (just to give you an idea what im used to / can live with) was a 1999 S reg saxo VTR which is a 1.6i 8v. It had a free flow 4-1 mild steel manifold, magnex decat pipe and borla straight through system (backbox is only silencer from the engine back). This sounded fantastic I can tell you. If anything I would expect the golf to be quieter with same setup just cos its much better build quality and better interior etc so you're less likely to hear the exhaust booming.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
I've driven an Anni with a Milltek backbox (catback), and I didn't find
it that noisy. Sounded fine whilst cruising on the motorway too.

I've been a passenger in a Gti 1.8T with a Milltek catback (but with
discreet pipes - NOT the anni style pipe) and it was horribly
boomy. REally Boomy.

So from my experience there is a big difference between the Anni style and Discreet/Hidden style

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I've also noticed the discreet tips don't point directly down like the factory system, they point at about 45 degrees down and outwards. It's got to be something simple, the silencer box must be the same, I can't imagine there being different boxes for different tips...

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
mine is a 18t with turbo back miltek, 3 inch dp, sportcat and full system, no missing bits!!

Its the discreet box that is boomy, the stock box less so. I think its the noise just resonating behind the bumper. I already added some tips to the miltek tips to extend them below the rear skirt level, by about an inch, (somewhat defeating the object of the hidden outlet!). On full chat its pretty quiet, (lots of gas speed is quieter than slower gas speed I think). Its the 3000-4000 rpm boom on crusie or mid to high load that is bad.

I heard miltek replaced many discreet boxes as there is an acknowledged boominess wiht them, but I never got back to AMD to complain........well not yet anyway!!

The dynamat helped, but not too much!! I would put the stock one back on, but the big bost and bigger turbo wrecked that within about 1000 miles!

A jetex fr me next time I think, they tend to make more noise on fully monty welly mode, (when you dont really mind!) and are quiet on cruise.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Somebody (sorry can't remember who) sent me a video clip of a 1.6 16V with a Milltek exhaust on it. The car is dark green and the reg looks like it starts "V16" but that's all I can see. However it sounds really quite nice!

If this is you could you please let me know what system this is on your car as I am thinking of getting a Milltek for me own 1.6.

Thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mine is the cat back system with the cemtre silencer and discreet back box, is there really that much difference between the discreet and the 4 motion back box????? im having mine looked by awesome next fri to try stop the rattling and vibrating. any one else here got the discreet tailpipe design and find it extremely boomy!!

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Meant to say, on the green golf the tail pipes are visible and I think the rear valance had to be replaced for this system.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Thanks. Feel bad for forgetting! What type of system is that on the 1.6? (do you know if it has a different air filter or will that system make any 1.6 16v sound that nice?)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts