Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna get this done tomorrow caus ei want my exhaust louder. will i notice a difference or will it be a waste of money? is there any over run sound (i want popping :)) does it sound more meaty?

oh and if you`ve had yours replace how much was it? cheers, ollie

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
How do.

Prob not on performance

No

A little popping

A little bit louder deeper

And it cost me ?55 for the pipe from Milltek and I fitted it myself.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just rung milltek and the pipe is 72 quid direct from them. my mate work out this exhaust place that make exhausts for tourin cars/rally car etc. they said they put me a straight pipe in for 80-100 quid. saves me fitting it i suppose. what you think. which was would you go?

will i definately notice the sound differrence then?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Deffo go with the Miltek one as they wont use the same grade of Stainless (if at all) as the Miltek system and you will get them expanding at different rates thus working the clamps loose. I know from experience.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
got it done at the customn place eventually

turns out its a guy my old man used to play football with who owns it!!!

he`s gave me a very reasonable price for doing the rest of the exhaust also. so my milltek is goin in the way for something a little more meaty sounding (not ricey!!!).

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Well good luck, if you want more noise then you will most likely want to move every silencer possible I have just the back box no CAT centre silencer and is just about loud enough for me.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote: posted by The Walrus on 20/01/2005 14:04:22

Well good luck, if you want more noise then you will most likely want to move every silencer possible I have just the back box no CAT centre silencer and is just about loud enough for me.

well i`ve only driven mine for 10 mins without the middle box so i`ll give it chance to have a good run. i.e warm up etc. did you notice straight away?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
When I was running with standard CAT it sounded better warmed up.

If you really want some noise get rid of the CAT as this seemed to release a very nice growl from 3000 rpm upwards and a lot more noise, if you want to take it another step get a less restrictive turbo as you may guess that is next on my list.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i`ve not got a cat mate at the moment. it sounds really nice now but i want the overrun sound. my m8 has a cooper s and that has loads of backchat sound on the overrun. can i achieve the overun sound if i get a custom system?

the place i`m gettin it done at make exhaust for lambo`s and ferraris upon custom order. will i loose any power going away from the miltek?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Quote: posted by ollie on 20/01/2005 23:00:07

... will i loose any power going away from the miltek?

Nope, as long as the exhaust internal bore is of 2.5" or greater.

·
Registered
93 Posts
God if i were to remove my centre box it would sound even more like a groupA rally car than it already does... If i were to remove the CAT too, i would be spitting 2 foot flames out the exhaust...

....hmm...good idea for track use [:D]

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote: posted by Stewart on 22/01/2005 14:58:41

How do you go on with fault codes with no CAT?

well my car has only got one sensor before the cat. so no faults codes for me!

think the later one have got 2 sensors. is that right?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Quote: posted by ollie on 23/01/2005 11:16:21

think the later one have got 2 sensors. is that right?

Yes, the DBW versions have pre cat and post cat sensors.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
got it done today. not that much louder even with the straight thru back box. its actually quieter now than what it was on idle. confused. have i ran out of options now?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts