Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I fitted the milltek at the weekend...

Bit if a chore to be honest, I found it very hard to get the middle box not to rub on the heatshield, it seems to sit too far over to the passenger side. Had to leave the middle joint as expanded as possible. Getting the front joint tight was also a pain, it seemed to twist however tight I did the clamp up!

Seemed fine this morning, louder than expected after the comments on here but quiet while cruising which is the crucial bit. Heard it touch down somewhere as I was parking though[B)]

I was a little disappointed with the fit but looks and sound wise, excellent!

I haven't used a V6 valence yet, I cut the standard one which I'd already chopped about for the Piper thnig I bought.

Here's the pics anyway...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Anyone else had similar fitting issues?

Scott

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Scott, you don't really expect me to answer that question do you? Took mine back to the fitters again last week and discovered:

1. Part of one of the hangers had broken and had to be welded back on.

2. There's a rattle coming from inside the back box when you rev the car.

Welding the hanger thingy has done wonders for noise and vibration. Can honestly say that when it's set up right and nothing is touching it is not much louder than stock except for two things. One, when you first start up in the morning and the engine is cold it is quite loud because of the emissions kit doing its thing and when you put your foot down you can hear it's not stock.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Scott

Have you fitted the downpipe Sports CAT or from the CAT back ??

I've had to have my exhaust re jigged a couple of times otherwise I'm very pleased.

The CAT and larger D.P made a big difference especially top end.

It revs and breaths soooooooooo much better plus gives extra bhp and lbs of pull

Ian

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Quote: posted by JPF101 on 20/09/2004 22:43:17

I have had to adjust mine a few times to try and stop the knocking

Still havent managed it but it sounds so good!

I wouldnt go back to a stock exhaust but it would be nice to stop the knocking

Where's it knocking mate (centre box or rear axle)?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I gave my exhaust a shove over last night just by leaning under the car. Set off this morning and it sounded excellent... then it obviously shifted back and is noisey again! Doh...

I reckon it's the middle box touching on mine aqs it looks clear everywhere else... have to crawl about under it again and move it about.

Milltek do sell alot of these exhausts, I am surprised it's such a sod to get fitted right.

ian, it's just the CAT back.. I am skint these days, but already it is alot better at the top end, with the Piper thing fitted the power tailed off over 4.5k but with this it pulls harder!

Scott

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Quote: posted by Caged on 21/09/2004 08:34:42

I gave my exhaust a shove over last night just by leaning under the car. Set off this morning and it sounded excellent... then it obviously shifted back and is noisey again! Doh...

I reckon it's the middle box touching on mine aqs it looks clear everywhere else... have to crawl about under it again and move it about.

Milltek do sell alot of these exhausts, I am surprised it's such a sod to get fitted right.

ian, it's just the CAT back.. I am skint these days, but already it is alot better at the top end, with the Piper thing fitted the power tailed off over 4.5k but with this it pulls harder!

Scott

Hmm.. I must be lucky with mine then. as I have had no problems at all.. but then I did pay to get it fitted, so maybe that makes the difference. It makes such a difference, even just the cat back !

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Quote: posted by Caged on 21/09/2004 08:34:42

Scott

Couldn't agree with you more on the last point.

Scott, if you have the exhaust all clamped up and you attempt to push the centre box back to where you want it, it will definitely not stay there. Undo the clamps behind the centre box so that everything is able to move freely. Adjust the pipes so that the centre box sits where you want it with no tension in the system. If that's not possible you will have to take it to a fitter to put a torch on it and bend something slightly as you must get the box centred with no tension. If there's tension then it WILL move in some direction as it heats up.

When you got everything sitting nicely again, wedge that centre box so that it can't move and gently do up the clamps. After you've finished and removed the wedges everything should be sitting pretty. As the system heats up, the tips should protrude more from the back but the exhaust should not move sideways to any appreciable extent.

Hope all that waffle helps.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Mines been on since january, no knocks or rattles and have been very pleased but I also had mine fitted profesionally, sometimes it's seems worth the extra cash (if available) to save any hassle. Hope you get it sorted soon, looks good anyway.[8)]

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Scott I had the same problem it is just a case of having a tinker with it to get the right position, mine is on blstein coilovers and they are on the lowest setting on the rear and after a wee fiddle I was able to get the right position it really is just a case of trial and error.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey spin, how are you finding the milltek on a tdi?

I want one for my pd 130 and reading through the posts,yours is the only tdi that i've found thats got one.

Hows the colour holding up on the tips,and are you getting much soot over the bumper of the car?

cheers. J.J.[:D]

·
Registered
274 Posts
I got my Milltek fitted last weekend at JBS,,it cost ?70 to have system and 3" cat+dp fitted, but WOW !!! Nothing bangs or rattles ,,even they said ,good fit this one ,even lines up 1st time ,,,but ,,,,I did notice a couple of tghe joints started blowing slighty.

I had to undo a couple of clamps and push a bit further on,,and I noticed quite a lot of sideways movement on the rear most hanger,,so a couple of cable ties either side of the rubber mount onto the bracket curred this .

Amazing difference though,, turbo spins up so much quicker and sooner too,,,but not surprised after looking at original cat+dp,,looks quite restrictive compared to 3" one .

Nice and quite on steady throttle but ,,a little noisy when you open up !!

Got to be a excellent mod though !!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.