Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the near future I'm going to need an exhaust due to a broken bracket on the front silencer ,so was wondering about getting a Milltek. I don't want to ruin the refinement though as I do a lot of long journeys to France, so don't want a headache like in my old mk2 with Magnex exhaust. Is there a firm that has like a demonstrator so I could see how loud the exhaust is before I actually buy one? Alternatively is anybody near Scarborough with a Milltek fitted to their 1.8t, who would be kind enough to let me see how loud it is ?

Many thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
I fitted one on my v6 4 motion and it boomed at 65-80mph it was over 110db, I returned it. I may of been unlucky as many people have told me that they have had no problems with the sound. 

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that's the kind of thing I'm worried about, I'd regret getting one if it was like that. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I've had a Milltek fitted to my 1.8T for a couple of years now.  Compared to other makes they are very quiet and subtle.  You do get an exhaust tone but its not intrusive.  I had a Scorpion on my Mk2 and it was very boomy, Milltek on the other hand are very understated in the noise department.  I understand they are OEM on Rolls and Bentley which says it all I suppose.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you get one with the original downturned downpipes, so you don't have to get an anniversary valance?

·
Registered
222 Posts
from what I heard the discreet version may look discreet but is still quite boomey under revs. Do a search on miltek discreet on the "engine & exhaust" forum. I am sure there is a sound clip from a forum member.

I have a miltek cat back system and it's very boomy on the motorway and to be honest it's starting to annoy me. A friend of mine has a miltek system on his Audi A3 1.8T and his is exactly the same. The exhaust really gets loud inside the cabin when driving at 70-80mph. Mind you below 3k revs it's no too bad.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Have you considered a Blueflame exhaust. Got one on mine and very pleased with it. Had Magnex and Scorpion fitted to previous cars and found the Blueflame the best.

Nice growl on start up and at 80mph not over loud at all.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that J15MES, thats what I was worried about, as I've heard the claims before about them being quiet, but in my experience they're always boomy at motorway speeds, which is a shame! I would like a better noise than the original but I'd hate to get one that was boomy again.

Haven't heard of Blueflame before, do they have a website?

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
what about a nice VW Rcaing back box.

i have one on mine and another in the garage can do it for you cheap!

jase...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is this on original VW item? Does it connect up to the standard exhaust? Is it very loud?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
yes it's an original vw item.

yes it connects to the standard exhaust.

NO! not load at all.

(have a look in members rides my car is there some where,under "New Look")

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is that an Anniversary valance you've got? Is that the only way to make it fit? Nice looking car! How much are we talking about??

Cheers

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
no mate,the rear valance that i have is the 4 motion one.

you would need a 4 motion rear valence(about ?37)to fit the exhaust or you could cut a standard one.

i can do the exhaust for ?140 + p&p.

jase...

p.s. thanks for the coment on the car.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have a Milltek on my V5 and to be honest I regret it. The noise at high speeds sounds far too loud and boomy and it has the effect of turning peoples heads when I accelerate up the road. It's a cat to back system. Lately it;s giving me trouble which has resulted in it being noisier, it makes different sounds as I accelerate which I dont like. Does any one know how to quieten it down or make it seem less loud from inside the cabin?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for that Skymaster, I think I've gone off the idea of a Milltek zorst now. I'm tempted by the VW racing/Sebring back box with OEM centre silencer,from Jase, the only thing putting me off is cutting my valance or getting a new one. I don't want a noisy exhaust but wouldn't mind a better noise ,if you know what I mean!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts