Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting over the honeymoon period with my 02 GTI TDI and as times are bad think it might be an idea to have miles till empty turned on.
Would like to hear from anyone with it enabled how accurate it is and anything else worth knowing about it.
Also, how far will the needle go down before it conks out? Just a thought really. The other day I ran it down until the light came on but when I filled it up it only held 49 litres (brimmed!).

And before I forget, who can enable this for me? I am in Manchester but will travel anywhere. Only want this enabling please.
Cheers guy's

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
The MTE goes down in 5's, On mine the light comes on with it showing about 40 miles left.

Not sure how accurate it is because it rarely gets that low on fuel anyway

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
My MTE has been down to 0 on a couple of ocassions. I'm not saying it's big or clever to get to 0 but it's really accurate. The only problem I have is that I put around 60 litres in so the MTE does not work properly for a couple of days.

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
i wouldnt mide this aswell would mine be able to do it its a gt tdi 130 52plate
Your clocks will be immo3 ones so in theory can be done, Just makes it a lot easier if they are VDO Clocks

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
My MTE has been down to 0 on a couple of ocassions. I'm not saying it's big or clever to get to 0 but it's really accurate. The only problem I have is that I put around 60 litres in so the MTE does not work properly for a couple of days.
How on earth is it "really accurate" if you've had it showing zero miles? Surely you'd be at the side of the road seeking assistance!

·
You ain't seen me, right?
3,778 Posts
its like the top gear episode the computer will show empty but it actually isnt, i have had 15miles on 0 before I dare not go any further.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
The standard fuel light is set at 7 litres from the factory.

Miles to empty is much more accurate than using a gauge which is roughly set for 20 miles per mm.
Using miles to empty allows you to adjust your driving style as a quick blast might knock 20 miles of your range but take 5 minutes of sensible driving to equal out.
Although I have been to zero my heart was in my mouth, the fuel gauge was almost like it never moved when turned on.
Although you want it to splutter when it gets to 0, I prefer to think of it as empty with enough left in to say "go on numpty try your luck".
I've never run out of fuel in 12 years of driving, I don't intend to.

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
In 28 years of driving I have run out of fuel lol!! And once while believing the miles to empty feature! Felt like a right plonker.... However, in all my cars over the last fifteen years, fuel light comes on, I'm looking for fuel. There's NO point going lower without good reason.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.