Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Prepare to be amazed, I was!!
On the way home from work in Watford today I noticed the reading below, just as I was coming off the M4 at Junction 11.

70.5mpg average and I have been driving for about 1hr 15mins. I thought this was good even for a 1.9TDI Golf

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
What!!!!!

How you do that mate, mines doing about 42-43 average at the moment, which is still bloody good even for a 2.0 TDI but 70mpg!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it was a little foggy and my average speed was around 60mph.

Bear in mind that I left the office in Watford and took this picture at J11 M4, about 45miles away.

I must admit I have has this car for nearly 2 years (53,000 miles) and I have never seen this before either. My average from when I bought the car is 53.2mpg, so still not bad.
Bloody typical, now that work pay for all my fuel, I have a car that goes forever on a gallon.

Is this a record?[:D]

Mike

·
Registered
591 Posts
That's very impressive. Best I've ever seen in my 1.9 TDI is about 64mpg. Perhaps you have less hills down there on the M4.

I have noticed recently that my car's mpg has improved a bit in the current cold weather. I would have thought that would have worsened fuel consumption but not. Maybe it's the air conditioning compressor not running because it's too cold outside.

Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
** cough ** * ** cough **

Posted Image

Got it whilst slip streaming a wagon during the last fuel shortage scare ......

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Hi all,

Prepare to be amazed, I was!!
On the way home from work in Watford today I noticed the reading below, just as I was coming off the M4 at Junction 11.

70.5mpg average and I have been driving for about 1hr 15mins. I thought this was good even for a 1.9TDI Golf

Thanks
Mike
Tut, tut. I hope that you weren't using you mobile phone, to take that photo, while driving your car?

No of course not. You pulled in first and parked safely before so doing!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Marvin,

Well noted mate. Of course I had pulled over in a safe place and applied the handbrake before using my handheld device.

Thanks for checking though [:$]

Was a tight fit getting my hand through the steering wheel.

Jace - OK mate, you get the award, but the gauntlet has been laid down now and I will have to tell my wife I'll be late home from work coz' I'm slipstreaming artics.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
259 Posts
I used to drive a variety of hire cars for work. Best mpg I ever got was in a Skoda Fabia 1.9SDi - 72mpg on a tank, with a best journey of 81mpg from Worcester to Ludlow. But I was driving like a complete and utter girl (no offence ladies).

Also had some fun in a Seat Leon TDi 130 - eventually managed to get it below 39mpg but it took some doing!

Bloody impressive engines, those VAG diesels.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm not too sure about taking a photo as 'proof' of average mpg in a journey....

When i had the 2.0TDI, I could get an average reading in a few seconds of driving.

So... Get to a steep downhill.. Take foot off the gas (perhaps apply very slight pressure).... reset the average mpg reading (press and hold the button unter the stalk) and hey presto!.

Average MPG = *180 mpg*

sure, it would lower after a further few seconds, but it would give you enough time to take a snap.

Maybe they changed the software after 55-reg 2.0 TDIs, otherwise I would have thought someone would have posted these pics before.

I'm not doubting that some of you guys can get great mpg in those vw diesels, but just be wary of people showing photo evidence.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wasn't trying to get anything out of anyone, it was a genuine reading, it's just that I was amazed and thought I'd share it.

I didn't realise that it would spark off a discussion as to whether it was original or not.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't know.... I must be doing something wrong!!!

I only ever get over 40mpg around town if I drive with a very very light foot and change up as son as possible....

On average around town i'm looking at 35mpg ish..... I still awaiting to get a long journey on the good old motorways...

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Are your diesels that boring that all you can talk about is YPG (Yawns per Gallon)? [:p]
I'm sure my "Boring Diesel" would give you a good run [;)]
At last a proper bite - these MKV lot are not up for Christmas banter.

The problem is you are right - it would be a good run. I don't have a come back. Think dammit think.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Are your diesels that boring that all you can talk about is YPG (Yawns per Gallon)? [:p]

The problem is you are right - it would be a good run. I don't have a come back. Think dammit think.
It'll be smelly, smokey and sound like a tractor?!

Plus he has to wear silly gloves when filling up.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts

I thought diesel drivers loved the rubber gloves.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

All you'll know is its smelly & smokey, you wont hear the sound as it'd be that far in front of you [;)]

As for gloves, Pah !, why when your hands are like mine

Posted Image

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm not too sure about taking a photo as 'proof' of average mpg in a journey....

When i had the 2.0TDI, I could get an average reading in a few seconds of driving.

So... Get to a steep downhill.. Take foot off the gas (perhaps apply very slight pressure).... reset the average mpg reading (press and hold the button unter the stalk) and hey presto!.

Average MPG = *180 mpg*

sure, it would lower after a further few seconds, but it would give you enough time to take a snap.

Maybe they changed the software after 55-reg 2.0 TDIs, otherwise I would have thought someone would have posted these pics before.

I'm not doubting that some of you guys can get great mpg in those vw diesels, but just be wary of people showing photo evidence.
I'd seriously hope that if someone was going to fake photographic evidence, they'd pick a slightly better subject matter than MPG!!! I'm surprised that the first instinct is to assume he's trying to trick us. What exactly would be the point of him doing that? This isn't a competition and there's no real motivation for him to fake it so why assume that he has? Strange. [:S]

70 MPG is a damn good effort - bet you've been trying to match it again ever since!! lol

The best average I've managed in my Bora TDI 130 was 55mpg at an average speed of 75mph over a 240 mile journey. I keep hoping to hit the big 60 but I like the loud pedal a bit too much!! [:D]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts