Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all you Mk V GTi drivers, how many miles are you getting per full tank? I get about 280-290 miles per full tank, but yes, i do mostly town driving. Should i be getting more? My Air Con is always on. Should i have my ECON on, does that make a difference? By the way, i always use Optimax...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
How do you define a full tank? Is it until the light comes on or until the needle is scraping the bottom?

I think it is best to quote mpg by calculating it a few times by brimming the tank.

Having the econ setting on switches off the AC compressor so it should make some difference.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess i define it as scraping the bottom a couple of times, which, yes, apparently you shouldn't do. I then fill up, wait for the light to come on, and then do about 20 miles or so. I wouldn't say i cane it; sure, i floor it sometimes, but then again, it is a GTi. Just a bit worried, as when reading a rival website, some are saying they get about 360-400 miles per full tank, way above what i'm getting, but as i said, it's mostly town driving i do..

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've only done about 800 miles in mine so far (600 of which are motorway miles). So far managing an average of 35 -36mpg on Optimax - about 400 to the tank.

It comes as a bit of a shocker having run a PD130 as my last car.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I've only done about 800 miles in mine so far (600 of which are motorway miles). So far managing an average of 35 -36mpg on Optimax - about 400 to the tank.

It comes as a bit of a shocker having run a PD130 as my last car.
You are doing very well to get that. I have done 900 miles, average about 30mpg. I never work out what I have done, I just read the computer. The computer always raeds 350 miles left with a full tank.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm getting about the same as you Milkfloat, around 320 miles per tank, when I remember to set the trip.

Its a GTI so I'm driving it like one.

I was a bit shocked at the MPG as well, 30, how come its so good.

I was expecting mid 20's, not that I care just wait till the orange light comes on and put more go juice in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hi all new to this forum been on tyresmoke mostly, i'm really dissapointed with my mpg only getting 22 mpg which is about 220 miles in a tank, its dsg and using optimax. Do you think there is a problem not driving amazingly fast pretty normal?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I am getting about 30mpg, which I am more than happy with from a GTI. Do the DSG drivers find they have better fuel consumption than the manuals as stated by VW?
I've a DSG and seem to be getting the same as the manual boys, maybe if you are taking it easy it may make a difference. I have seen 42mpg once on my 25 Mile trip to work, 10 miles motorway (60mph), 10 Miles A road (45), 5 Miles Urban. Very boring journey.

I have never seen Optimax here in Northern Ireland, only Shell Super Unleaded 97 RON. I am running mine on Sainsbury's Super Unleaded, tried BP Ultimate, never noticed any difference so back to Sainsburys.

·
Registered
251 Posts
hi all new to this forum been on tyresmoke mostly, i'm really dissapointed with my mpg only getting 22 mpg which is about 220 miles in a tank, its dsg and using optimax. Do you think there is a problem not driving amazingly fast pretty normal?
Hmm that doesn't sound right, you would have to be really thrashing it to get 22.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Hi guys fairly new to this so bare with me... I've put 1200 miles on my GTI, and I'm solidly amazed at the MPG I get out of it (I too was expecting mid 20s or something - bit of a depressing thought having traded in a TDI!). However around town I can pull anywhere betwene 30 and 34 or so, and on a good run (90 miles motorway, 10 mile town roads) I can pull up to 36. So no complaints from me (I've even managed that on crap petrol too when I've been skint!)

The truth will come though when I go back to work (only had it a few weeks nad been on hols) - 40 mile round trip to London Central and back - will let you know how much I cry then ;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
On my run to work around 27miles, a mix of motorway, country lanes and driving into central Reading I get anyway between 34 - 40, the best I had was 40.5 mpg , admittedly I wasn't flawing it though.

With a mix of driving I constantly average around 35 - 37mpg

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think considering the performance, the economy is pretty good, it is
quicker than my 330i touring (which only manages 25 mpg) I have done
2500 miles in mine in 6 weeks and am getting around 360 to a tank
of Ultimate/Optimax.

If you want economy buy one with a tractor engine in it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Guys,

I've got a DSG and done just over 1000 miles. I'm only getting around 220 miles on a full tank, and this has been consitent. I do city driving only (london) but am still disappointed with the fuel economy. Don't drive it in sports mode so was expecting better. Anyone think I got a problem?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Hi Guys,

I've got a DSG and done just over 1000 miles. I'm only getting around 220 miles on a full tank, and this has been consitent. I do city driving only (london) but am still disappointed with the fuel economy. Don't drive it in sports mode so was expecting better. Anyone think I got a problem?
If that's the side affect of DSG then I'm glad I haven't got it!

What kind of driving are you doing, lots of stop/starting, short journeys?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.