Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya guys ... might be partX my anniversary mk4 1.8T for the anniversary PD150 ... test drove it on thursday. i must say i was SHOCKED at the torque it had. didnt think a diesel was that good !!!! now i know why most golfs i see on the road are all TDis .. they are amazing. and i cant imagine wat it will be like once its chipped. i was doin 95mph.. private road of course, and still gettin 40mpg !! haha really impressed, but i gotta get used to the noise, never had a diesel before.

so guys, am i making the right move ?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Its pretty simple, if you do the miles and can get used to the noise (which isn't that bad) then it's the car for you!

Personally i'd take the 1.8T over a TDI....but i'm daft considering the milage I do.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
o yeah i batter the miles. im at the BP every other day. almost 50 - 60 quid a week . too much isnt it

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there u go mate, in the TDI it would be 50 every 2 wks lol and still get the 236 lbs torque as standard, and rip ppl from the lights

·
Registered
737 Posts
I would keep the car you've got; I've gone the other way and never looked back. Imo the only reason for getting a TDI is if you're doing more than 15K/year; I do only 8K/year and alot of town driving; my fuel economy has gone from 42 to 27mpg average as a guide. The 150TDI has extra torque but the 1.8T has extra power. The 1.8T has a smoother power delivery, is much quieter and is a more tractable engine. It will pick up speed at low revs better than the TDI which really suprises me. My 1.8T is also quicker off the mark and in-gear acceleration times are near identical. Maybe my 1.8T/180 is a good example and my old 150TDI a poor example?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Id stick with the petrol, test drove a 150pd today and I wasnt impressed, I noticed little difference from my 115pd.....yeah it was quicker but it had more lag and torque seemed to come in higher up, not such an easy drive..... I would say the 180 would be more fun......

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
right i see.. but i do alot of town miles and the fule cinsumptions killin me. im at the BP every other day .. with the diesel, id be better off, yes its noisier, but for the performance and MPG thats wat does it .. and once remapped. itll be rapid wont it ?

·
Registered
229 Posts
The fuel consumption on mine soon goes down once Im driving in town....but yeah I guess its bound to be better than the petrol.

Its the age old arguement though, do you do enough miles to make the extra initial cost and cost of diesel over petrol, payoff? I have heard that the diesels are more expensive to service too, but I havnt had a petrol golf so cant confirm that. Appologies if I am wrong on that one

·
Registered
566 Posts
I went from a 1.8T 150bhp to an Anni 150. Some pros and some cons but for me it was more pros. The fuel economy is a big plus as is the torque and in-gear acceleration (90-110mph in 6th is amazing - no need to change down really). The Anni's spec itself was comprehensive anyway. The cons included that engine sound which does take some getting used to and does not have that sporty exhaust sound that the petrol Anni has. That, and the lack of available torque when pulling away from a standing start in which case it will lose out to a 150bhp 1.8T never mind the petrol Anni.

~ Maxie

·
Registered
376 Posts
o yeah i batter the miles. im at the BP every other day. almost 50 - 60 quid a week . too much isnt it
Think you've answered your own question! Go for the diesel and get it remapped....don't think you'll look back.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Another vote here for the TDI PD150 they are awesome! I was pretty impressed with the standard one deffo quicker than the standard 1.8T petrol and more fun but once chipped they really do rip through the gears! With a few extra mods like mine there is absolutly no lag and huge power whenever you need it in any gear!

My trip computer never shows less than 42 mpg and I get nearly 50 mpg on motor way runs....and thats with all the BHP I have too!

The PD TDI will cost you a bit more than the 1.8T Petrol to buy but you will have the 1.8T performance plus more torque/ throw you back in your seat pull plus 40-50 mpg depending on how you drive so looking at it from my point of view its a no brainer! TDI without a doubt, I went through exactly the same as you when choosing my car but it wasn't between the 1.8T and TDI ........Id go for a Civic Type R over a Golf 1.8T if I was looking for a petrol but as far as the Golf TDI PD 150 goes it is the business when it comes to diesels with power and economy.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cheers fro all your thoughts guys. thanks. yep hopefully ill hear from them tomorrow so ill know where im going.. fingers crossed the deals done . and ill pick it up thursday !! cant wait.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
cheers fro all your thoughts guys. thanks. yep hopefully ill hear from them tomorrow so ill know where im going.. fingers crossed the deals done . and ill pick it up thursday !! cant wait.
If you can live with the noise go for it, regarding some of the negative comments above, a mate of mine has a chipped AUM 1.8T and ive been in it and no way is it faster than my own modded TDI, actually mine gets to 100mph with more ease..

@sam PD im wondering if the MAF in the 150 you tested was faulty? ive driven both the 115 and 150 in standard form and to be honest night and day come to mind, however if the 115 is chipped it would give the 150 a good race up to a certain speed.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Just to add to what **** said, I went to a local meet a few weeks back and took a chap out in my tuned TDI he has a chipped 1.8T with exhaust system and he said mine was definitly faster than his and he has 200 bhp!

Also I found a big difference between the pd115 and pd 150!! BIG DIFFERENCE! so not sure if the 115 you drove was chipped or the 150 you drove was screwed (faulty MAF) but to say hardly any difference would suggest something fishy

·
Registered
229 Posts
Well according to a vag com my car is supposedly putting out in the region of 140bhp, but I dont know how reliable that is....I didnt think it was chipped but I am starting to wonder recently....it keeps up with 1.8t on the road......

The one in the dealership may have been a dodgy MAF yes, it probs was that car cause I have heard many good things about 150pd's, dont get me wrong Im not slating them or anything, just going from my experience......

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
regarding fuel in a TDI i am on avarage ?40 a week in diesel

thats in a re-maped 110

i get about 160 miles to ?20

so with the extra cost of diesel it aint any better unless your on the m-way alot

·
Registered
248 Posts
My god Vinny you changing again, we both got rid of our ZS at the same
time and this will be your 3rd change since then I think, hope your not
losing a lot of money on these cars

With regards to the above post erm awch, in my remapped car with my
lead right foot I get 470-520 miles from a full tank depending on the
driving I do and it costs ?44 to fill up.

I say get the diesel, easier to drive in my opinion and the in gear
times are impressive. Then you've got the better economy yet still the
pace and it holds its value a lot better, especially as the milage gets
higher.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
This was the result of my first tankfull after being remapped - 188BHP & 301 ft/lbs recorded at Awesome..

Unless you're planning to do a straight swap, then you've got to be stacking up some decent annual mileage to make it worth your while though.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
This was the result of my first tankfull after being remapped - 188BHP & 301 ft/lbs recorded at Awesome..

Unless you're planning to do a straight swap, then you've got to be stacking up some decent annual mileage to make it worth your while though.
so thats 552 miles from ?45?

going with what i get i would get 360 miles for my ?45 kicking about town

and mine is a re-maped 110 [:(]

maddness

1 - 20 of 125 Posts