Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, like a lot of you I have bought a MFD2 unit on ebay and installed it today. Fired up no problem but the nav system won,t work properly. The reason I believe is that the main electrical connector to the unit only has two of the electrical blocks ( ISO )connected. This means there is no input from the speed sensor connected and the unit dosen't know which direction the car is travelling. Does anyone know where to get the missing wiring loom to get the unit up and running. I asked vw main dealer but said he could.nt help.Thanks in advance.

rose

·
Registered
139 Posts
unit is fully plug & play in a MK5, your problem must lie elsewhere

what specifically isn't working, and where have you sited the GPS receiver ?

sorry if this seems patronising but you haven't mistaken the one of the 2 connected antenna cables as a GPS one by any chance ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Stephen B,

Thanks, No all the cables are connected as should be. I am fairly sure the problem lies in the main connector.I only have two connectors connected ( ie. main power,speakers etc)to the larger vertical pins(16No) above the fuse. On the the two horizontal connectors below the fuse I have nothing connected. I'm assuming the connector block marked Nav + Nav - must contain the vss wire.If anybody can confirm that they have connectors on this block I would be grateful. Is it possible that when the car was manufactured with just the standard radio fitted ,they didnt install the loom for the mfd2 unit ? Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
779 Posts
I know when the guy fitted mine he said hes had faulty gps antenas,also the unit that i got from satnavsystems wouldnt pick up a signal and he had to send another unit...Is just plug and play though as far as i know. My radio just came out and he slotted the mfd straight in..

·
Registered
261 Posts
Rose, my car had the standard radio fitted RCD300. This may help, its a picture off Foxy's howto showing the main connector block that goes into the unit (RCD300 or MFD2)

http://www.bluegolf.demon.co.uk/images/MFD2/pt2-24.JPG

As you can see the two horizontol slots under where the fuse goes, has no connectors. Mine was the same. One is for the CD changer and the other for pre-outs, telephone hands free connectors and auxiliary connectors. Speed sensing etc comes of the CAN-BUS which is already on the power connector

What exactly are you having problems with? Does the unit not work at all? i.e. the radio doesnt work, the CD player doesnt work, or is it just the navigation system. If its just the nav system, does it tell you how many satellites it can pick up? you need a minimum of 3 to get a 2D lock and I think 5 to get a 3D lock. Does it show a map at all? Out of interest where is your GPS antenna located? My Satnav system reset itself constantly for the first 10-15 minutes, every time it came up it became more accurate as to where I was, initially it thought I was in London but eventually it calibrated itself.

Also I think it may have been Foxy who had this problem, but if the connector for the GPS antenna is not good enough you will have a problem, have a look at Foxy's how to, may have some pointers.

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/170547/ShowPost.aspx

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks very much for info. I am relieved there are no connectors on the bottom pins. When I s elect a destination the unit tells me the distance to it and a highlighted route appears on the map. The problem is when I start driving the map doesn't move with the car movement ,it just remains static until I stop again and then it recalulates the distance to destination. From what you have said Im beginning to suspect the gps aeriel which is located just on top of the dash .If this were faulty it couldn't detect movement. I have another aeriel somewhere so I will try that first and report back.

·
Registered
139 Posts
check how secure the plug for the gps is on rear of your mfd, mine goes in a fair bit [over 5mm IIRC] and is a worry when removing it as it grips like a b'stard.

there is a documented "mod" of trimming the plastic moulding at rear of the mfd2 to allow a less brutal connection

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Back Again. Connected another new aeriel and still the same problem. It calculates the route,shows it on the map and then nothing. It doesn't detect the car moving. When I scroll to the compass screen it shows the satellites as 3D which looks OK, but when in navi mode it only shows the little satellite and not the 3D (maybe this is normal) After setting the destination and starting the navi, if I press the information button she says " your position is not on a digitized route" This is not the case because I had several gps units working on the same road.

One thing comes to mind, when I bought the unit I only got a copy disk. Could the problem lie here or could the mfd2 be faulty ?. Im totally baffled at this stage. Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
178 Posts
What happens when you put it into compass mode? Do you get a a longtitude and Latitude reading? Does it change after you have moved the car to a different location? If the coordinates change then that would suggest that your GPS aerial is OK. In addition, if you're picking up a number of satellites then that would also infer that the aerial is working.

If you're getting a 3D fix then that usually means you're getting a pretty strong signal (3D gives you you horizontal position on a map and height above sea level, 2D means it is only able to calculate the horizontal position with the signal its got at that present position)

I've also found that if you venture off to a new road that the unit can get a bit confused and tends to lose it's way a bit - eveything goes back to normal once you're driving on a more established road thats on the CD. It all sounds like you've got a non UK map CD so it doesn't know how to match the coordinates to the map information thats on the CD - hence no movement. Then again if you haven't got a UK CD you would be able to enter your destination.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK ! first problem solved. MFD2 only picks up on movement when the gps aeriel in mounted outside the car. Did a lot of tests and inside on dash flashes between no fix and 2D all the time. On the roof 3D all the time and the lat and long move with the car. I still have no voice guidance which leads me to believe the disk is at fault. What is the proper disk called ? so I can try to find one. Thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
You can buy them from ebay or direct from tele atlas at
www.navshop.com. They're really expensive - especially the TMC
coded ones!

In Navshop s elect the discs suitable for a VW Touran as that is the same system. Generally you need a DX coded disk.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Rose, just wondering what your car's spec is? The reason I'm asking is I'm wondering if your windscreen is one of those solar reflecting jobbies, I beleive GPS antennas have a problems with these (I may be talking absolute rubbish, but I'm sure I read that somewhere) I'm sure I've also read somewhere that windscreens which have heating elements in them (like the rear but transparent ones) can also cause problems. But AFAIK these are not available on the Mk5 Golf? (I may be talking rubbish here so please correct me if I'm wrong!)

Oh also my disk is also a copy and havent had any probs so far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am fairly sure now that the windscreen is one of the difficult types. I had a similar problem before with a Ford. The problem with my copied disk is I think it is the 2004 one without DX ( I hope) Off the record though, the mfd2 unit for what it costs new as an option is load of crap compared to some of the aftermarket units available at a fifth of the price. I can't understand why VW are not using the dvd units. maybe someone will come up with a conversion for the mfd2 to read dvd's.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am fairly sure now that the windscreen is one of
the difficult types. I had a similar problem before with a Ford. The
problem with my copied disk is I think it is the 2004 one without DX (
I hope) Off the record though, the mfd2 unit for what it costs new as
an option is load of crap compared to some of the aftermarket units
available at a fifth of the price. I can't understand why VW are not
using the dvd units. maybe someone will come up with a conversion for
the mfd2 to read dvd's.
LOL and maybe someone will come out with a conversion to turn your home
cd player into a DVD player :D DVD based Satnav is apparently
available if you're ordering a new car now. That's life I'm
afraid, they'll up the spec every year as every other manufacturer does.

A solar reflecting screen is not an option on the GTI so that isn't
your problem. The disk you need is the one for the Blaupunkt
Travelpilot DX (which is what the MFD2 is)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts