Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I'm a new member to this forum, and I haven't yet collected my used 2005 Mk5 GT TDI from the VW dealer yet.

I should be getting the car in 5 days time, so need some help with a few queries that I haven't really had satisfactory answers to, by the dealer.

The car has a standard radio fitted, with the benefit of a 6xCD changer in the arm-rest, and I was enquiring about having a MFD2 fitted before delivery, which he has quoted me a ?1000.

Anyway, I have some questions relating to this...

1. Are all MFD2 systems the same? The dealer (badly) demonstrated an MFD2 and its navigation functions to me in another used car, and my impressions of it were that it was slow, didn't have UK postcode input, and was CD based. My experience of navigation systems from friends cars (I've never had one) is limited, but it seems that the good ones work with a post code, have 3D view, and are DVD based.

Is the MFD2, CD or DVD based, or are there two types?? The new Golf brochure says DVD navigation!

Is there a choice of software for the MFD2, and what is regarded as the best??

2. Of course if I install the MFD2 system, I would like to be able to install some other goodies like, a TV tuner, a DVD player, and perhaps an iPod interface.

Can I install all of these or just some??

What are other peoples experiences/combination??

I'll thank you in advance and hope you can supply some speedy answers, as I really want to give the dealer a decision to go ahead in the next couple of days.

Regards

Bob

·
Registered
104 Posts
The car has a standard radio fitted, with the benefit of a 6xCD changer in the arm-rest, and I was enquiring about having a MFD2 fitted before delivery, which he has quoted me a ?1000.

Anyway, I have some questions relating to this...

1. Are all MFD2 systems the same? The dealer (badly) demonstrated an MFD2 and its navigation functions to me in another used car, and my impressions of it were that it was slow, didn't have UK postcode input, and was CD based. My experience of navigation systems from friends cars (I've never had one) is limited, but it seems that the good ones work with a post code, have 3D view, and are DVD based.

Is the MFD2, CD or DVD based, or are there two types?? The new Golf brochure says DVD navigation!

Is there a choice of software for the MFD2, and what is regarded as the best??

2. Of course if I install the MFD2 system, I would like to be able to install some other goodies like, a TV tuner, a DVD player, and perhaps an iPod interface.

Can I install all of these or just some??

What are other peoples experiences/combination??
There are two types available CD (older) and DVD (newer), both have postcode input. Once you know your way round it I wouldn't say it is particularly slow. The guys at www.satnavsystems.com have supplied a number of forum members with systems and get good reports. You can use the Dension kit to attach an Ipod but you lose the 6 CD autochanger as it uses the same connector. I believe Dension also do a kit that uses FM radio as the means to get the signal from the Ipod into the head unit. I have not heard the sound quality so can't really comment. Sadly, I have no knowledge of DVD or TV tuners.

KeithM

·
Registered
423 Posts
Troy,
Forget the CD based system, I gather this is an old format. But the DVD based system also has an older format! There's the G and there's the D.. one has postcode input the other does not.
If your vehicle currently does not have a factory fit system then i would leave it! spend your money on a portable solution which is MUCH cheaper & can be used outside the car as well as in other cars! I have the new MFD2 which is great but can't imagine how much or how good a retro fit would be!?
The navigation system is birds eye view (i.e. looking straight down) NOT 3-D..
Tuner or DVD player? check these guys out... http://www.satnavsystems.com

You'll also need a special cable that links your MFD2 to the player/tuner. You can also get a particular type of cable that overrides the motion lock-out i.e. grants the ability to play DVD's or TV whilst the car is moving. Please note that although this might be great for passengers, the driver should not be distracted hence current legislation. If caught watching tv whilst driving theyll throw the book at you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for both of your replies, much appreciated.

I am erring towards MFD2 system because in my opinion it would just look right in the dash, but I am now thinking that unless I'm getting a particularly good deal from the dealer (which I'm probably not) I will wait and have a system fitted later, after I've taken delivery of the car.

So, to recap, the system I'd like to get is the DVD based one, with the "birds eye view" (or is it more like a view from a helicopter following slightly behind the car??), so is this an MFD2 G or D version???

Impressed with the remarks and website of satnavsystems, so will be giving them a call today.

Keep the info coming.

Regards

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm almost certain the newer one is the 'G'.. with post code input etc.. it also works off version 2 of the satnav DVD disc.
(which isn't quite up to date!) I went along a fairly new road yesterday (about 2 years old) & it told me I was 'off-road'!
But don't let that put you off.
Other than that the system is quite cool & fairly accurate. It's ETA (times to arrival) are pretty astonishing. I drove from London to a small village outside Canterbury on saturday & it was bang on.. said the journey would take 81mins & it was spot on, (obviously it adjusts the ETA if encountering traffic or you stop to fill up etc.) But it's great.

& i know what you mean about it looking right in the dash etc.. & to be honest that's what sold it to me.. The portable solutions aren't at all neat unless you pay for it to be hard-wired up.. Most big stores like Halfords etc offer a free fitting service but when I asked this doesn't include a hardwired fitting! They just use your 12v outlet (i.e. cig lighter) & leave you with wires running up & down your dash!
I also hate the whacking great suction cup on the windscreen!
My earlier posting was just an attempt at saving you money, but I can see now how it all comes together in the car is just as important!

·
Registered
178 Posts
To back up what has already been said here...

For the MKV Golf you can get mainly two different versions of the MFD2 - a CD based on or a DVD one. The DVD one has only recently been released for the last few months or so. You can generaly buy second hand MFD2 on Ebay and fit them to your car yourself (follow Foxy's excellent DIY guide in the DIY pages). Generally the ones you find on Ebay are CD based ones as the DVD version is relatively new. I've got the CD version and would say that it's pretty good though a tad slow. I don't think you can update the internal software/firmware of the machine at present (if that's what you're referring to). You can get updated Map disks and the cost between ?90 and ?150 depending upon whether you want the TMC function or not.

The CD version of the MFD2 came in various sub-versions - you can tell by the letter that the part number finshes in. Mine ends in 'C' so it's a version 'C'! I believe version D is the same as C except it has the Silver knobs on for 2006 MY. Do a search on the forum for MFD2 and you'll finds lots of info.

I've never tried the DVD version (note that it has a completely different part number to the CD ones) so can't say whether the unit would be quicker - however as the maps are on DVD you have the whole of Europe on one disk instead of the country specific CD ones.

I would definetly recommend that you fit the unit yourself instead of letting the dealer charge you through the nose (buy a unit on Ebay costs around ?700 and you can fit it in an hour). Also, if you haven't already - specify the highline display (?45?) so that the sat nav instructions are replicated in the instrument cluster.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
423 Posts
yes, I agree.. The MFD2 is cool when the information is reflected in the HighLine display..but the ?45 is I guess refering to the upgrade option when purchased new (it comes as standard if the SatNav option is ticked).. Can the highline be fitted retrospectively? I don't know.. but worth it as it gives access to many functions that ordinarily demand a trip to the dealer to set! Why VW don't bother giving every vehicle a Highline is a mystery? Maybe they charge customers everytime someone without a highline wants to adjust some settings?!! Anyway going off the point.. I agree with the previous poster, buy privately on the cheap & whether you install it yourself or not you'll be saving money.. The only benefit getting VW to do it is that they have experience with the knowledge they have the tools & experience to get the job done perfectly & have the right parts to hand.. Doing it yourself or by a back street route might end in tears.. Or at least with a half ar$ed job with a couple of spare wires !!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I retrofitted a MFD2 (cd based) to mine and its great... good for going under tunnels etc that have a junction at the end as it keeps your position locked when it cant get a sat fix.

Retro fitting is also good, not quite as OEM (ie no shark fin on the roof) but the gps can be hidden quite well. I helped curley to find a place to hide the antenna and he seems happy [:D]

If you dont mind fiddeling and fitting yourself retrofit the unit and save some beer tokens [Y]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, Thanks for your much needed responses.

I'm learning more, but this is generating more questions with curiosity.

I did have a look on eBay, and noticed there were indeed quite a few systems listed. Fitting the unit myself doesn't phase me at all, (being an IT type) as long as there are no known risks or special tools needed.

I guess if I can get one at a decent price, I'll go for a CD based unit, and buuy the additional software for the TMC function, as I'm told the receiver/decoder is already integral to the MFD2.

I spoke to Tom at satnavsystems who said pretty much the same as everybody here, that the DVD unit basically has an edge over the CD unit because the one DVD contains all of Europe rather than a CD per country.

I'd also like to fit a TV tuner (the latest twin tuner digital one was highly recommended) and a DVD multiregion player.

My new question concerns the HighLine display everyone is mentioning. I don't know if my car has it (I guess not) what it looks like, what it does, or MOST IMPORTANTLY (now I know about it!!) whether it can be retro-fitted to my used car (assuming it doesnt have one!).

Could somebody please post a pic of the Highline display, so I know what it looks like?????

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
423 Posts
the highline display differs slightly in the layout of the info.. i'm not sure about its physical dimensions but it gives more room to satnav information as well as time, direction of travel (compass), outside temp with ice warning, as well as a sophisticated trip computer displaying fuel/distance countdown. The manual will show you the differences so you'll be able to tell quite easily.
The highline is something I would definitely recommend as it grants access to quite a few settings you'd otherwise have to go to a VAG garage to adjust. Maybe worth asking the dealer just incase you don't have it. If you don't have it then it's best getting your deal to set the car up before taking delivery as any subsequent adjustments might cost you!

I'm not sure if the midline computer offers any or all of these user adjustments but it's worth getting them checked out:

Auto Door Lock (auto door locking over 10mph)

Surrounding area convenience lighting (located under the side mirrors)

Motorway lane change indicator (3 flash quick indicator)

Auto Wiper sensitivity adjustment

Coming / Leaving Home light settings

Speed warning

There maybe a few more options but like I said if you're not gonna get the highline then get the dealer to set these items to your preferences prior to collection.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Oops! Sorry - didn't see that you're picking up a used one.... A lot of people have asked the same question about retrofitting a highline display and so far the everyone seems to suggest that it can't be done without big expense. If you do a search for highline display I'm sure you find lots of topics on it and maybe even some pictures.

You might be lucky and the previous owner of the car may have already spec'd it for you! You'll be able to tell as soon as you open the door - If you've got a higline display in between the speedo and rev counter should a a 4cm high LCD picture of the car showing which door is open. If you've not got it then it's not the end of the world as the sat nav should still function without it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
With the highline you can also choose your display - either:

Driving Stats (e.g. mpg, time / distance etc..)
Digital compass (illustrating direction of travel - maybe only if you've got satnav)
Audio display (station i.d., traffic info, or cd / track numbers)
Or if SatNav is engaged, direction arrows with the names of recommended streets are displayed.

But don't get hung up on the highline.. it's one of those things that would be great if you had it but not worth spending mega bucks on retro-grading if you haven't. But it does pay to do your homework before parting with your cash!

IMO the ?45 upgrade (on a new car) from mid to highline is probably one of the best value for money options in the VW catalogue! Of course for those who opt for satnav as an optional extra this also includes the armrest, 6 CD auto changer, highline computer & the MFD2. and benefits from a the more pleasant looking 'shark fin' antenna.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, so now I've got it, and I love it!!

I dont have a Highline display, but of course I now want one, but I guess it's not an easy retrofit item, and will certainly cost more than the ?45 it costs as a new option. That little luxury will have to wait, if I ever get it.

Once the excitement has worn off a bit, I will be hunting for an MFD2 with a vengeance, as although the standard radio is OK, the sound quality is not as good as I would have hoped, with only treble and bass being adjustable. Does and MFD2 have more adjustment, or and equalizer?

My car is a January 05 (54) car, and I wondered if there are any recalls, or any things I need to keep an eye out for at all?

Thanks for your answers, much appreciated.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Your car is superb as it is.

I only went for the MFD2 coz I felt it was better integrated into the vehicles other systems (highline etc.) & was less susceptible to theft etc coz of it's unique-ness to the Golf...
Don't get hung up on having it.. there are hundreds of forum members that would've preferred a TomTom or Naviman etc.. i.e. one that can be used in other vehicles or removed if you sold your car. It's also far from being the best system on the market in terms of functionality.

What I would seriously consider is an engine remap. To unleash the restrained potential of your TDI. VW purposefully strangle the TDI engine to accommodate the lowest common denominator i.e. someone who's gonna use the worst fuel, cheapest oil, not service their car at regular intervals & generally abuse the engine.
If you're going to be kind to your TDI by using good grade fuel, keep the engine tip top by using high grade lubricants & service the car every year then remapping your TDI will give you on average an extra 30-40 BHP, then you're touching GTI performance from something that could run on vegetable oil!! (don't try it though!)..

If you do decide to chip (remap).. then i would suggest getting a Road Angel or something like it.. (I have the TDS TR30 which is superb). They are GPS Speed Camera detectors that warn you of dangers on the road ahead & keep reminding you of your speed as you approach certain hazards like areas with schools police speed traps etc etc..
I don't know about others but in my Golf I find it really difficult to remain under 30mph because the engine is so smooth & effortless & coz it just doesn't feel like i'm moving!

But.

It's quite easy to just enjoy your TDI as it is.
It's a lovely car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh Rotara!!

What have you done now?! I've had my lovely car all of 24 hours, and I'm now dreaming about an extra 30-40 horses, and all that extra fun.

At the moment, I am loving all that torque and the handling of this amazing car.

One factor of buying the TDI was not only the performance, but the economy. Knowing that manufacturers have to finely balance the compromises when producing a car, I am now VERY curious what kind of economy you're getting with the hike in performance.

I will be going down the MFD2 route, and would prefer a DVD based system, but I have been casting my eye over eBay and noticed a few CD based systems kicking around, and also noticed that where the part numbers are quoted, they quite often end with an "A" or "C" or "G". I guess these are just newer revisions of the unit, but am now wondering if anyone knows what the revision changes were? Should I buy an "A" system if I can get it for a good price? and what should I expect to pay?

If I'm honest, I've stretched myself to buy the car, but would love the sat nav and maybe a tv tuner, so I just dont want to make a bad decision.

The remap you mention sounds awesome, and I would love to do this in the future some time, so would be interested in what else you have to say.

Finally, any tips on fitting the MFD2?? First hurdle is removing the dash trim, so is this just a gently pry off system?? I guess after that, once I've removed the exsting player, a majority of the connectors I need will be there and I will just have to add the sat nav antenna (any suggestions??) and put it all back together again.

Again, thanks for all your comments, much appreciated.

Bob

·
Registered
178 Posts
A user on the forum called Foxy is selling his MFD2 I believe - he's asking ?495 which is dirt cheap especially as I paid ?670 for mine on Ebay!! PM him if you're interested - he's also posted a rather excellent fitting guide on the DIY forum.....

·
Registered
423 Posts
Troy Tempest..

Fuel economy is NOT be compromised with the hike in performance, it's strange but many people have reported better fuel economy figures after their remap! It's tempting to drive with a heavy foot once you've got all that power but with the extra torque you find the engine not needing ever to be pushed past 2000 rpm! which means you'll be using LESS fuel.

Weird innit?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts