Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Been looking at a MFD2 CD sat nav for my car... What is the going price for them from a) Stealer, b) eBay and c) 3rd Party? And who might a 3rd party be?!

How expensive are the map CD's? And if you buy one, does it entitle you to updates? Also, can you make a back-up copy of it? Sounds like it might get scratched a bit scudding around in the glovebox... Can you only buy the map CD's from VW? Would a Skoda CD cost less and still work?!

TIA,

fM

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
from memory, something like ?850 - try www.satnavsystems.com for the MFD2 rns

Buying a disk from www.teleatlas.com does NOT entitle you to any upgrade - they're about ?100 for non-TMC enabled or ?160 for TMC enabled ( TMC is the traffic advice system ). Try e-bay for them, thats where I sold my last one

EDIT- price is not fitted, sorry

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers,

What about the going rate for a MFD RNS on Ebay?

Also, I have read Foxy's guide to installation, but I am confused about where people are putting the antenna. They say "Behind the clocks" - Is that on top of the dash, behind the clocks or underneath the dash, behind the clocks?!

A piccy would be great!

Thanks,

fM

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi matey

I installed mine the other day and I put the GPS behind the clocks. It's pretty easy to get them out. If you look towards the bottom of the binnicle there is a plastic trim piece which is joined to the leathery bit that connects to the top of the steering wheel trim, that whole piece comes away. The trim bit just pulls out. I found it best to take the steering wheel top trim off first(needs a bit of force), them pull out the trim. Once that it off there are two screws at the bottom. Take those out and the whole cluster just pulls out. Once out you will see a large metal cross member, I put the gps on top of this (the GPS should be magnetic) and secured it with some elec. tape just in case it moves during some enthusiastic driving. Sorry I dont have pics, but once the top steering wheel trim is off you can see the screws. If you have small hands you may be able to get them in without taking the trim bit off, but i was afraid of dropping the screws into the nether regions of the dash to rattle and annoy me for ever. Also make sure you dont attach the GPS to the bottom of the cross member as it cant penetrate metal!!! I got my MFD2 from a seller in Lithuania for ?375 + postage. It arrived within a week. This is a link to the one I bought http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4627507854&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Also you will need a new CD map disk as they tend to be the older 2002/2003 disks.

Steve

·
Registered
30 Posts
OK

The MFD2 can be installed by a Dealer with the aftermarket part number of 1T0057194D this will supply you the MFD2 unit supplied in an Accessory retail box for ?1250.

They will install it for around ?130 and you will need a navigation CD, around ?91 without TMC and ?160 with iTIS TMC for the UK. (cheaper at www.bluespot.co.uk) You will also need a VW Aftermarket GPS antenna ?40

There is a MAJOR problem with this install. The radio will NEVER function as good as the RCD300 / 500 in the car originally. As I have found

On the rear of the RCD300/500 are two antenna inputs. These are connected to the FM/AM Antenna module in the rear screen. There are two connectors one white one beige. On the MFD2 there is also two connectors. one white one CURRY coloured. This curry connector has an additional key on it preventing attachment of the Beige connector. If the beige connector is attached to the MFD2's Curry coloured connector (either by removing the connectors case or filing the key off) nothing will happen.

Background:

The RCD units have in-built radio diversity which utilise both antenna inputs to provide radio diversity by alternating the signal via a digital signal processor to achieve the best FM signal.

The MFD2 CD based unit cannot perform this.

It requires a Diversity Switch box which would be provided should the car be fitted at the factory with an MFD2 CD unit. This would be located beneath the drivers seat on a RHD model of the car.

The DVD version of the MFD2 contains the radio diversity, and will function correctly without this diversity switch box.

If you value the radio then you will need to locate a DVD version of the unit. If not you will need to put up with crap FM sound quality or purchase a Diversity Switch box for the radio, and then all the complications that I am going through will ensue.

Shunts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Sorry mate, but I dont know who told you that load of old pony, I suspect the dealer, as I bought an MFD2 Cd version off Ebay, cut off the tag on the connector and mine works absolutley fine - as have afew others on here. See Foxy's how to here http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/170547/ShowPost.aspx

Steve
Yep, load of old tosh!

I'm another one who's done this install and apart from a little bit of tape to keep the connector on after adapting it to fit, I've no problems, the radio works just as well as my RCD500 did.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I also have just upgraded with a CD based MFD2 (purchased from Fleabay) shaving the key off the curry coloured socket with my trusty Stanley knife.

I have not encountered the problems Shunts claims will be experienced. [H]

Shunts, did you buy your unit from your dealer or elsewhere? What is the part number? Did $tealer tell you this info?

fM

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought the unit from the dealer, it was fitted by them for my warranty (wasnt that expensive)

I downloaded the erWIN document from the VW website. Also my radio reception is dire. I also have a VW service technician Self Study program book that details the antenna arrangement. I am also an electrical engineer.

Connecting the beige wire to the rear is not possible with the antenna plug as it stands, it consists of an extra key to prevent it from being connected. Conneting the beige wire by any method, is pointless as the unit does not need it - on the dealers diagnostic when it is connected without a diversity unit it appears as "Short to earth" when the RCD300 is installed both antennas function as normal.

The MFD2 does not have the internal radio diversity it requires a seperate box called the diversity switch box which is located beneath the drivers seat.

I bought the unit from the dealer the part number is in my original post. I figured this info out myself.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sorry matey didnt mean to say you had done anything wrong, but it seems very strange that everyone else has bought their units second hand, fitted them themselves by modifying the connector and they work absolutley fine, and you being the exception buying new from the dealer, letting them fit it and yours doesnt work. I wouldnt be surprised if you found out that the version you have is different to the factory fitted ones that came out of crashed cars etc, which the rest of us have bought. When I called for a price from a VW dealer and gave them the part code of one I saw on Ebay they said that was factory fitted, and the one I could buy from them had a different part code - i.e they couldnt supply me with the factory fitted unit. I'm not saying this right but dealers are pretty good with their BS to extract more money from you.
Steve

·
Registered
30 Posts
I did buy one from ebay and it had the same problem.

The part number on the unit is identical to one that you would get from ebay. The number on Retail box just signifies that its a different part to order.

The number is 1T0 035 194D on the unit

Incidentally if you buy a DVD unit it will fit without any modification to the units connectors at all as it has the in-built radio diversity as the RCD300/500 has. The part number for that unit is 1T0 035 198B

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi,

I wonder if it has anything to do with aerials? My Golf doesn't have the bee-sting or the shark fin, I guess the aerial must be in the rear window or the spoiler. What do others have? I wonder if this makes a difference?

Connecting the beige wire to the rear is not possible with the antenna plug as it stands, it consists of an extra key to prevent it from being connected. Conneting the beige wire by any method, is pointless as the unit does not need it
We have all said that we shaved the extra key off the unit and the plug fits. If the unit doesn't need the beige wire, why, according to the self-study programme, is it there?!

Is it FM reception or AM or both you have problems with?

My FM reception is crystal clear. In fact I can tune to BBC local radio stations that I couldn't get before with my RCD300... I live in Darlington, I can now get Durham (!), York(!!), Newcastle and Cleveland. Before I could get Clevleand (my local station) and I could only just get Newcastle - with lots of intereference...

In fact, this is my only criticism of the MFD2 - The reception is too good - I am constantly getting interrupted by travel programmes from regions that are miles away!

So I am really surprised that you are having these problems... I also think it is really odd that you are experiencing these problems from a dealer fit upgrade...

Reception is noticeably better with my MFD2 CD version over the RCD300.

Regards,

fM

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Shunts,

I just found this
which seems to suggest you have it the wrong way round, the RCD 300
doesn't have diversity but the MFD2 does. Admittedly this is for a
Jetta... But I don't think it would be that different!

HTH,

fM

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would scan in the erWIN (https://erwin.volkswagen.de/ ) Pages that I have but the fact that they are heavily protected with copyright suggests that VW are very protective of them and do not wish them to be transmitted.

I have the VW erWIN diagram, I have the VW Dealer technician self study book it states very clearly the curry connector on the reverse of the MFD2 (in there words) provides output signal to the antenna aerial switch box which when fitted from factory in a Golf is located beneath the drivers seat.

It states also that the unit does not have any internal diversity function. The DVD unit on the other hand does. In the rear of the Self Study book it details why there are extra keys on the terminals on the back of the MFD2. It details why the MFD2 is "curry" colour and why the RCD300 is "beige" coloured.

If you attach only one connector to the unit (the curry one) that you will get absolutly no radio at all. This is because it is an output to the Diversity Box and not an antenna input.

On the antenna modules, in an RCD300 setup the white connector passes FM signal 1 and AM signals and the beige one passes FM2 signals for the diversity. I have problems with the FM signal.

I'm happy for you folks that have it working - I wish mine did but my FM is ok but not brilliant and this unit is missing and 3x units that I have had have all done the same.

Shunts

1 - 18 of 18 Posts