Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have sourced an MFD ver G from someone on ebay, will have it in the next week hopefully. I currently have a the standard Gamma Head Unit with the 6CD in dash player above it.

What im wondering is, can i mount the 6CD in dash player into the glovebox, if so is it straight forward and will the standard cable reach? Does anyone have any pics? And does it fit into the book slot at the top of the glove box?

Also ami right in thinking you cant play cd's on the MFD?

And last but not least, and the prob the most stupid question, but can you listen to cd's while the MFD is in Navigaation mode?

Thanks....[;)]

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I have sourced an MFD ver G from someone on ebay, will have it in the next week hopefully. I currently have a the standard Gamma Head Unit with the 6CD in dash player above it.

What im wondering is, can i mount the 6CD in dash player into the glovebox, if so is it straight forward and will the standard cable reach? Does anyone have any pics? And does it fit into the book slot at the top of the glove box?

Also ami right in thinking you cant play cd's on the MFD?

And last but not least, and the prob the most stupid question, but can you listen to cd's while the MFD is in Navigaation mode?

Thanks....[;)]
Not sure if your in-dash 6 CD changer will work with the sat nav, although there are probably better people on here that will tell you if it does or doesn't work. If it doesn't work you'll need to get a boot mounted CD changer or a PhatNoise. I opted for the PhatNoise when I got my sat nav installed.

You are right about not being able to play CD's on the MFD, it is only the navigation disc that the unit can read.

And finally, yes you can listen to the radio or CD's while the navigation is running, the direction announcement will just be given over the music.

HTH mate.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that answers some of my questions, just still really need to know if the 6CD in dash player is compatable with the MFD? anyone?

·
Registered
201 Posts
6 disc player definately works with MFD - had that configuration working in my Passat for 2 years. All VW players - single disc, dash mount six disc and boot mount will work with MFD.

There are some people in here who have custom-made glove box mounting for 6-disc as you're propsing to do. there are definately pictures on here somewhere - a few minutes with the search function should dig up what you're after...

Good Luck!

Adrian.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah thats good news! [:)]

Can you give me some links as i cant seem to find any pictures on it or how to's etc...

Thanks..

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the links, the middle link only goes to the main page of the site tho?? I shall PM JRW to see if he can e-mail me pics. Do you know if it was fitted into the book slot at the top? or if it was screwed underneath it like the DVD player in the last link?

Thanks....

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also does anyone know the part number for connecting the 6CD in dash changer to an MFD as i think im going to need a longer one, unless the standard one will reach do  you know?

·
Registered
201 Posts
no mate, you need this: http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/idc_cable.asp ie. Just an extension cable.

CD installation was completely scratch built. from memory, it was sat in the floor of the glovebox angled upwards slightly with cover over it. Imaging placing the player in the right hand corner of the glovebox with a felt covered panel over it... From memory, I think that was how it was. Anyway, it looked quite nice. If you talk to the man himself he'll no-doubt be able to supply pictures and details of how he did it...

Oh, while I'm on... Just read your earlier post again; yes, you can listen to music while navigating. Functions as a full car stereo independently of Navigation. The MFD does her DJ bit and talks over the music when she needs to...

Cheers...

Adrian.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the link, i have bought it so hopefully that will be with me tomorrow, or wednesday so i can fit it! [:D] I also bought a single din mounting kit aswell to make it easier to fit in the glovebox.

I have read up on people fitting it under the arm rest in a mk4, is this right? If so how easy is it?

Also im assuming that extension cable will keep the illumination as some leads dont is that right?

Thanks for the help...

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wahoooo! MFD has arrived, guess what i will be doing all night now! [:D]

Will post up how i get on. Is there anything i need to look out for whilst fitting?

Thanks!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MFD is in, went in with no problems what so ever. It seems to be updating quite quickly, as i have read that alot of ppl on here have trouble with update rates on the sat nav.

Im well chuffed with it, just finishes of the interior toys of lovely. [:D]

Thanks uk-mivs for you info jam packed forum, help made my MFD install a doddle! All that is left to do now is mount the 6CD in dash player properly in the glovebox. Will post pictures of the finished set up.

·
Registered
201 Posts
OMG - so many questions so little time...

Couple of answers for you (although you seem to be doing fine without them!)

Wouldn't have thought that there was enough room under the armrest in a Mrk 4 to mount a CD, but I have been wrong before. Could you be getting confused with Mrk 5 which has an armrest similar to a Passat, with a DIN slot in it. You can mount CD's in those although the dash CD's do suffer a little more from skipping that the purpose-built armrest units.

Illumination is on a separate lead so it you want your CD player to illuminate too, you'll need to extend that into the glovebox too.

Updates on MFD are usually slow if you don't use the adaptor harness which feeds the GALA signal through to the multiway connector on the left of the unit (as you look at it from behind). If you've got that all plugged in then position updates will be quick.

Well done mate - MFD is the best thing I ever did to my motor... wouldn't be without one!

Looking forward to the pictures!

Adrian.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lol...yea sorry about all they questions! got a few more.... [;)]

Yea im glad i went for it and got it and installed it, im well chuffed! Just want to get a dvd player onto it now. What do i need to buy, is it the Dietz 1214 or 1212 that i need, i think??

And how much are they, and wheres the best place to buy it from, ebay?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts