Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I keep seeing lots of talk about Menzerna products being the best option for our harder VAG paint. But what products from the Menzerna line up do I need to get?? I'm a bit confused lol.

My Anniversary needs a deep polish, lots of swirls and holograms. Not many deep scratches but I want the best finish achievable with the PC

Also is a high cut 4" spot pad worth investing in?

I'm aiming to take a few days sorting out the paintwork so I've got plenty time to get it right!

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
i was wondering the same to be fair, (no i aint got a pc, but curious anyway)

how come you have swirls etc? thought you'd pc'd it and sorted it?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Menz powergloss and IP are both excellent. FPII i'm not 100% on, I used SSR1 the other day to remove marring and it left a really nice finish!

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Menz powergloss and IP are both excellent. FPII i'm not 100% on, I used SSR1 the other day to remove marring and it left a really nice finish!
Ah there he is! [:D]

Which of those two is stronger if you don't mind me asking?

SSR1 is good enough to remove the marring created by SSR2.5 so I'll stick with that also.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
What about the (clearkoat?) moose you used on your dad's Lexus? Is that stronger still?
I asked Alex and SP the same thing yesterday, and he recomended using SRR 2.5 to deal with deeper scratches and the spider webs in the paint.

For swirl / scratch removal by hand I'd either go with Prima Swirl @ ?9.99, or Poorboys SSR 2 @ ?12.99. Both will work well by hand and should be a bit more managable than Scratch X.
If your using a PC or similar machine, then I'd say go up to SSR 2.5 @ ?12.99, as the machine can break down the abrasives easier yet this still finishes out to a wax ready finish.

Kind regards.
Alex :).

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been using PB SSR2.5 quite a lot, while its good at removing some of the marks, it doesn't seem to want to touch swirls. At least not on VAG paint anyway - tried it on my Uncle's S class Merc and it brought that up a treat, but I suspect the paint was a lot softer which would explain it.

Having a look on polished Bliss I think Power Gloss might be in for a purchase along with some LC Yellow, black and red pads.

Just to confuse things further - Optimum Hyper Compound - anyone used this?

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I've just bought some power gloss for mine as the SSR 2.5 wont touch some of the marks on the paint.

If I get time at the weekend I'll be giving mine the Menzerna treatment. If you haven't ordered by then Mark I'll give you a heads up.

J.

·
Registered
153 Posts
ive read on other forums that menzerna intensive polish applied with a lc orange light cut pad gets good results on vag paint on its own without the need for a finer polish. but if you need a second polish go for the final polish 2.

heres some links for examples of menzerna products being used

clicky1

clicky2

hope this helps

ben

·
Registered
792 Posts
I had a go on my bonnet on monday with some stuff. I found the clearkote compound moose to be stronger than the power gloss in my opinion. I finished it up with the IP then the FPII. I prefered this over the ssr3 aswell. but I spent absolutely ages trying to get rid of the deeper scratches and got nowhere. I just got a yellow 4" lake country pad to try next to see if that works any better.

I spent ages the other week getting swirls out with the power gloss, and it took half the time with the compound moose. If I were you I'd get the IP, FPII and the clearkote compound moose. make sure you have some Quick detailer handy when taking the compound moose off though!

The menzerna glaze is quite good aswell, all depends how far you want to open your wallet[;)]

It seems a lot better using the spot pads with the heavy stuff and the 7" pads with the IP and FPII aswell.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the links Benjy / Russel [Y] It really does look like the
Menzerna products are the Holy Grail for us VAG paint addicts. Looks
like a combination of Power Gloss and Intensive Polish will perform
what I'm after. Will also get some Clearkoat Moose while I'm at it just
in case.

Does anywhere other than Polished Bliss sell Menzerna, as they're out of stock of IP and FPII.. ?

I'm also going to get a heavy cut 4" pad, although not the LC one, as I just stumbled across these 4" Sonus SFX1 pads.

Anyone used www.cleanyourcar.co.uk yet? Any discounts set up? If not I'll have a word when I order!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Anyone used www.cleanyourcar.co.uk yet? Any discounts set up? If not I'll have a word when I order!
I've just received my first (of many) orders off them today, quick delivery and good prices and Tim the owner even threw in an USA 'Big Rig' air freshener, it's proper retro and smells of cherry!! [Y]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts