Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pah! Was driving to work this morning and saw a Mazda MX-5 going quite slowly ahead of me, so I move to overtake. The Mazda doesn't appreciate a diesel Golf overtaking it, so he decides to floor it just as I am passing him - so, undeterred, I drop it under 3k and blast past him, passing him at about a ton. Wahay!

Anyhow, whilst this was happening, I didn't notice the boy-racer Chavved-to-the-max 106 behind me. In fact, I only saw it fleetingly as it sailed past me straight after I'd disposed of the MX-5! And I mean *sailed* past me - it was flying. Had the usual silly bodykit and Lexus lights and an exhaust that wouldn't look out of place on the back of a Massey Ferguson, and it was driven by a spotty Chav, complete with silly baseball cap. [:(]

I thought those 106 GTI's only had 120bhp and feck all torque? Obviously this one had been tinkered with, I guess - it shot past me and then past a load of cars in front. I can handle getting thrashed, but by a Chav-Special 106? Gah! I want to cry!

Anyhow, is that Upsolute GB still on? [:D]

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's exactly the reason for getting an APR programme on my ecu - a rallye 106 off the lights, standing start and it absolutely battered me! Never again!

Get your motor chipped and that will be the last of it[:D]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
the 106gti in standard trim is a very quick car it is the same car as the paxo VTS (note I say VTS NOT VTR) they may have only 120bhp but they weigh naff all and there power to weight ratio is a very healthy 127.57 bhp/ton

wheras a PD150 power to weight ratio is an unhealthy 107.73 bhp/ton thats why he killed you as he had a theoretical 20bhp on you.

However I do know from my Pug days that many of those 1.6 16valve screames wher massively underquoted from the factory and on nearly every rolling road day I knew about they all produced at least 130bhp, which could mean the pug had 30bhp on you ... Sorry

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Hang your head in shame. I regularly kicked my mates bum when i was in my standard 1.8t and he had a modded 106gti.

But you have to remember that the power to weight ratio of the 106 is very different to that of the golf.

They are light and nippy and shouldn't be underestimated

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
There are also numerous turbo and supercharged ones putting out between 180 and 200bhp. an exampl is th plue vts in this months practical performance car, albeit this is standard bar nice rims and big brakes.

·
Registered
473 Posts
When my car was standard, me and my mate who has a 106 Gti had a wee "race" there was absolutely nothing in it, I was ahead of him, but couldn't get him off my tail, but he couldn't pass me either, but they are really quick wee cars.

That was the decision I had to get my car remapped lol.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Yeah i had an experience with a crappy rudeboy vts, got up his bum just to mess around he booted it, as did i and there was nothing in it!

Bring on the REVO!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Same here. Rude boy that lived near me had black 106 and always tried it off the lights most mornings and there really wasn't anything in it. Then day after i had the upsolute put on, he tried it and became a distant spec in the mirror. - He never tried it on again.

YOGi - you'll love the REVO. - and just imagine how much it'll add to your 900 brake (lol)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Just bought one to replace the 306 rallye I had[^]

Its my 2nd one and they are great fun. As for the 120bhp this is widely known in Pug circles to be a huge underestimate by pug, probably to help insurance groups as most seem to have a tad over 130bhp.

Mine 'allegedly' has 128bhp @ the wheels which is around 145 @ the fly. This is with just a forced induction filter though as the std air filter is hugely restrictive and removing it seems to make a big difference. Pity it also makes it a bit noisey under load!!

Torque is where it lets itself down and you need to cane it to get the best from it. Handling wise is where it shines though, its great fun and mine has eibachs and bilsteins. Not chavved up though by any means[!]

·
Registered
90 Posts
I used to have a chipped and cammed 206 gti which was quite rapid, it used to eat my girlfriend's mildly played with 106 gti for breakfast... until it rained or came up to a few corners where it completely left me behind. 106 gtis are a quick bit of kit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Gotta sympathise with you all cos I got dusted by a Chav in a Gimp my ride 106.

He only got one car ahead from start to 120 but its the thought that counts[:(]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quote: posted by golfv64mo on 08/04/2005 07:58:40

Pah! Was driving to work this morning and saw a Mazda MX-5 going quite slowly ahead of me, so I move to overtake. The Mazda doesn't appreciate a diesel Golf overtaking it, so he decides to floor it just as I am passing him - so, undeterred, I drop it under 3k and blast past him, passing him at about a ton. Wahay!

Anyhow, whilst this was happening, I didn't notice the boy-racer Chavved-to-the-max 106 behind me. In fact, I only saw it fleetingly as it sailed past me straight after I'd disposed of the MX-5! And I mean *sailed* past me - it was flying. Had the usual silly bodykit and Lexus lights and an exhaust that wouldn't look out of place on the back of a Massey Ferguson, and it was driven by a spotty Chav, complete with silly baseball cap. [:(]

I thought those 106 GTI's only had 120bhp and feck all torque? Obviously this one had been tinkered with, I guess - it shot past me and then past a load of cars in front. I can handle getting thrashed, but by a Chav-Special 106? Gah! I want to cry!

On my way back from London (to Newcastle) i was 'met' by about 8 or 9 chavved up cars. they were obviously all on their way to some teen car show...cos there were loads on the M18 too. anyhows...5 of them...all chavved up...tried having a go at me. It was great fun.

I let 5 of them past me<traffic was a little heavy to be flooring my car, especially when it handles like a cammel with a bonner)...then when i saw abit of open space in front of me...i stuck in 5th..and Bahhhm...280Ib's of Torque picked me up and threw me towards them all (must have been touching a tonne at this point) as the all parted...i hit a tonne 30... the Punto Turbo was pretty quick....but not quick enough for me little dirty diesel. They all came back for more....but as soon as they caught up...i kept flooring it. hahah...ok i know it's childish...but even the best of them enjoy it [:)]

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

Was it red? If so might be the same one my brother lost to in his Clio 172 [:I]

·
Registered
518 Posts
Quote: posted by Rye on 09/04/2005 12:30:20

Any 106 is gonna need a lot of work to dust a Clio 172. Must be quite a bit of kit...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Quote: posted by Gareth_1.8T on 09/04/2005 14:41:37

Quote: posted by Rye on 09/04/2005 12:30:20

Any 106 is gonna need a lot of work to dust a Clio 172. Must be quite a bit of kit...

Yeh I think so. This one was REAR wheel drive?? Well the rear wheels were spinning anyway. Or are they rear wheel as standard? Must have got turbo, chip, NOS etc. Also my brother can't drive.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hmmmm must have been converted if it was rear wheel drive. - Not a cheap mod at all.....

Standard is FF, with 1.6 16v and 120bhp. Performance isn't slow by any means: 0 - 60 in around 8 secs, but the handling of the little blighters is absolutely sublime!

No where near enough power to touch a Clio 172 tho.

Maybe he caught your bro by surprise..... - i hate it when some cars try to sneak up and then act like they've destroyed you..... - (ah to be 17 again) lol

·
Registered
495 Posts

Still on dude [:D] and we now have the right numbers for the ?270 discounted price.

We both have the same engine, so it'll be interesting to compare driving experiences if you decide to go down the Upsolute road.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 28 Posts