Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above... I have 5k to spend tops...and am looking at both cars...not driven either yet, anyone had any experience of these?

thanks

·
Still a newbie
5,822 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
cupra r as it is a nicer car to be in 24/7

the megane will show it a clean pair of heels but thats on a track or on the 3 days a year you get a clear road

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
The Leon Cupra R (2002ish plate) is one of the best looking hatches ever in my opinion and for £5k you could pick up a nice one. For me, the Cupra R. [:)]

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are soooo many cars for 5k it got silly spending all of my time staring at magazines and computer screens so I picked 2 that I like the look of but am open to suggestion Olly!

The megane is winning slightly as it seems a nicer spec but who knows!!! [:S]

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
My mate is selling his Cupra R. Its a 53 reg and has a full miltek and stage 1 revo. Its shifts!!!!!

For me it would be the the seat, ive driven my mates one many times and it feels lovely to drive, very well planted and is very quick with the re map.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My mate is selling his Cupra R. Its a 53 reg and has a full miltek and stage 1 revo. Its shifts!!!!!

For me it would be the the seat, ive driven my mates one many times and it feels lovely to drive, very well planted and is very quick with the re map.
How many miles mate? also where is he based?

cheers

·
Registered
429 Posts
working at a car auction ive had chance to drive both these car's.!! imo id say the megane 225 is quicker than the cupra but no way is it as reliable... the amount ov meganes we get in my work with electrical faults would put me off buying 1 over a cupra r... to be honest you could get a mk5 gti for 5k from the auctions... thats what id buy [Y]

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I think its only around the 50k mark i will find out for you. He is 5 mins away from me just outside Watford. I will speak to him later and get some details for you. Im not sire if you have a colour in mind but his one is dark grey. I will post the spec/price for you later [:)]

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think its only around the 50k mark i will find out for you. He is 5 mins away from me just outside Watford. I will speak to him later and get some details for you. Im not sire if you have a colour in mind but his one is dark grey. I will post the spec/price for you later
nice one pal... Grey is a good colour.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
working at a car auction ive had chance to drive both these car's.!! imo id say the megane 225 is quicker than the cupra but no way is it as reliable... the amount ov meganes we get in my work with electrical faults would put me off buying 1 over a cupra r... to be honest you could get a mk5 gti for 5k from the auctions... thats what id buy
Mk5 Gti would be nice but I have no idea about auctions and am a bit wary about it as not very mechanical minded....in the words of Mike Brewer it could be a Lemon!!!

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
cupra r with a remap is one of the best going road cars for the money,

i have had three, i spent a week driving a megane 225, as i was going to buy one, it felt slow in comparison to the lcr, also they have a lot and i mean alot of common faults, but there expensive fixes, unlike the cupra r's typical golf problems,

its things like gear boxes, diffs, hubs etc so for me its lcr every day of the week, even over my scooby

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cupra r with a remap is one of the best going road cars for the money,

i have had three, i spent a week driving a megane 225, as i was going to buy one, it felt slow in comparison to the lcr, also they have a lot and i mean alot of common faults, but there expensive fixes, unlike the cupra r's typical golf problems,

its things like gear boxes, diffs, hubs etc so for me its lcr every day of the week, even over my scooby
ok...you are selling it to me!!

I want a car that has no faults or has had the common ones sorted what should I look for in terms of work thats been done when buying an LCR?

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
for 5k your going to get a half decent model,

it will be the 225 model for that money, they have the oval mirrors and a few slight mods to the 2003/4 models,

interms of spec:

all came with the brembos etc, options were

sat nav - this was £1200 worth, but very out dated now

recaro seats, the fronts simply say recaro on them, the rear bench was modified for 4 seats, this was about a £1500 option and very rare,

faults as like any 1.8t

leaky door seals, temp sensor, maf, coilpacks,oil pick up pipe getting clogged up,boost leaks,

service is exactly same as a golf so your good there, bare in mind, pads/discs are more expensive, as are they tyres, check for an alloy wheel spare, the back boxes also rot away, most of the suspension bushes are uprated from that of a golf and do cost a little more too, final thing is cambelt being done at correct milage ets,

with a remap you will see a good 260-270bhp with simular torque, be wary of the revo map though as it spikes quite low down and a few seat boys have blown bottom ends out due to this.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
for 5k your going to get a half decent model,

it will be the 225 model for that money, they have the oval mirrors and a few slight mods to the 2003/4 models,

interms of spec:

all came with the brembos etc, options were

sat nav - this was £1200 worth, but very out dated now

recaro seats, the fronts simply say recaro on them, the rear bench was modified for 4 seats, this was about a £1500 option and very rare,

faults as like any 1.8t

leaky door seals, temp sensor, maf, coilpacks,oil pick up pipe getting clogged up,boost leaks,

service is exactly same as a golf so your good there, bare in mind, pads/discs are more expensive, as are they tyres, check for an alloy wheel spare, the back boxes also rot away, most of the suspension bushes are uprated from that of a golf and do cost a little more too, final thing is cambelt being done at correct milage ets,

with a remap you will see a good 260-270bhp with simular torque, be wary of the revo map though as it spikes quite low down and a few seat boys have blown bottom ends out due to this.
Cool nice one mate! will check them out...so the BAM engine is the one to go for I take it....

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I have an 'R and love it!

it's an '03 with the 210 AMK engine. The BAM and AMK are basically the same, IIRC the only difference is a slight tweek of the map.

The later 225 LCR's will also have a better steering wheel over the earlier 210's. But with your budget a decent 225 will be easy to find.

I had a 1.8T Bora before the Leon and the difference was amazing. It has been very reliable in the 7 months i've had it. Mine was also remapped at only 5,000 miles and has not had any problems, only thing was the clutch at 78k but that's it.

I've used it on track and do give it a hard life but it's been faultless.

One word of advice if you do buy one, watch the nose. With the splitter you don't have much clearence and it is quite easy to catch on speed bumps and kerbs.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have an 'R and love it!

it's an '03 with the 210 AMK engine. The BAM and AMK are basically the same, IIRC the only difference is a slight tweek of the map.

The later 225 LCR's will also have a better steering wheel over the earlier 210's. But with your budget a decent 225 will be easy to find.

I had a 1.8T Bora before the Leon and the difference was amazing. It has been very reliable in the 7 months i've had it. Mine was also remapped at only 5,000 miles and has not had any problems, only thing was the clutch at 78k but that's it.

I've used it on track and do give it a hard life but it's been faultless.

One word of advice if you do buy one, watch the nose. With the splitter you don't have much clearence and it is quite easy to catch on speed bumps and kerbs.
Nice one Jimmy...I am going to hunt a few down at the weekend and drive one... will try both engine variants...I may still try to find a Megane trophy to drive (just to compare)

[Y]

·
Registered
10 Posts
just got rid of my cupra r 2004, platinum grey, gotta say the best car ive had, ive had it 2.5 years and never missed a bit it had been played with by amd, gutted its gone.......

·
Danger Seeker
3,072 Posts
Jetta 2.0T seen a few of those for around 5K on Autotrader...

1 - 20 of 113 Posts