Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw one of these in a car park the other day, was a 'Sport' model and petrol but seen a few of the derv ones on AT for not too much money, cant seem to find any info on 0-60 and mpg as parkers is down at the mo!

Anyone driven one of these or know about em?!?

Cheers for any info

Dave

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I used to have a company one. it wasn't the sport though, it was quite nice not that quick. the key is odd as mine had a flat credit card style key which you put in the car by the gearknob, but if you took it out and pushed the start/stop button in the wrong order it didn't stop running, once i left it running unlocked in tescos carpark for over an hour, and did it quite a few other times too. the only reason you knew was that it was really cold inside as the aircon was on.

I guess as a good side of this i can say it ran very quietly!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
i like the look of them, the wings and bootlid are plastic which i thought was strange and its got a couple of great drug dealer style pockets under the floor mats in the front. I did like the start button though. it had auto wipers and lights which was nice and the seats were very comfy but nowhere near my recaros.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Know someone at work who has one, really poor quality it arrived with the suspension not tightened up. Bird mess etches the paintwork (he uses megs more often than me). Loads of other small things but I don't think it's been off the road. Rear suspension design fault that causes un even wear

Typical French half baked car.

Still want one[:|]

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I got brand new one with only 300 miles on it as a courtesy car in December last year when my Gora was in getting repaired at the bodyshop. It wasn't the Sport but the Dynamic 1.9 dci and sure it was 130 bhp.

Got to admit when I was given the remote card to it I was more than disappointed, especially as I was told I would either be getting a new Golf or Passat TDi. Anyway, having had it for just over a week I've got to say how impressed I was with it. It was a lovely smooth drive, although not sporty, and the engine was amazing. Had recently test driven a Fabia vRS and the Megane felt a lot quicker and more responsive, the 6th gear was also great for motorway cruising and the accelleration was excellent pining you back into the seat. It was that good that I couldn't help giving it some more often that I should and the computer would come up with "Regenerate soot filter" due to it being driven hard, although once the car had sat for a couple of hours or being driven sensibly this would disappear.

It was a totally different car to the Laguna dci 120 we had in my work. That wasn't that quick and was more of a progressive turbo as opposed to a good kick up the bum, and also didn't feel as well made as the Megane. Saying that a month later I had another Megane courtesy car, this time a 1.6 with just over 1,000 miles on it of the same model and it was utter pants. Petrol engine did it no favours and it had a wobbly drivers seat.

Would recommend one, but not sure how good it would be after say 3 years motoring.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers fellas, I think the lastest 06 ones are 130 bhp and the older ones like im looking at are 120 bhp, maybe theres a fair bit of difference, wot eva diesel i get ill always get it chipped anyway, lol

Wow, if it was really quicker than a VRS i AM impressed, I had a VRS as a courtesy car for a bit, damn did that get some stick, lol, but went very well, deffo need to drive one of these, parkers was down last night so couldnt see the figures, ill have a look now!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Oh yeah mate it definately felt quicker than the Furby.  My best mate was on the test drive with me and I took him out in the Megane and he thought the same.  As for the Megane saloon, I'd give it a miss, as it will be worth a lot less than the hatch when you come to eventually sell it.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I'd definatly consider one, the steering is a little lacking in feel but it is acurate enough and the brakes can sometimes be snatchy. But value for money its much better than a Golf. I rekon you could get new for 12k and it would take a good 8 years before it lost 10k, the GOlf could lose that in 3 years. The interior is comfy and they rattle less than VW's, I'd try and find one with the glass roof. Also if you like the CC you can find them for a little over 10k in diesel formatt. Or if you can hold on, rumour is renault sport are working on a 175bhp version that looks like the 225

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
yeah the 120 bhp is 10 odd 0-60, 124 top and 52 mpg, so similar to my Bora b4 the chip, but the 130bhp is 8.8 0-60, not bad!

Their doing a 2.0 150 bhp now apparently too but couldnt find any details on it!

Wot i did find tho, is this :-

http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/carreviews/gallery/?img=1&model_id=707&category=Static%20exterior

never seen one of these on he road, i personally think they cool quite cool!
Saw a few of these on holiday this year, and they don't look as good in the flesh.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I don't think Renault's come anywhere close to VW (IMO), yes they make smooth diesels but there isn't any depth to the engineering. I was shocked at the problems with my friends Renault Megane 120 and the stealers seem worse than VW (he's still waiting over a year for one fix). Its a top spec car with 17" alloys, leather, glass roof, metallic paint but there is so much wrong with it.

I like the Renault cars (clio 197, Megane Sport) but from the buyers guides other reviews I've read they aren't good cars to own (just like my 306 XSi - looked great in the showroom, not so great with me pushing it for the third time).

I think VAG have the sporty diesel market sewn up (Leon TDi FR 150, Ibiza Cupa TDi 160, Golf TDi 150). Anyway, each to thier own and if you do get one hope you have better luck than my mate.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
VW don't have sporty diesels, SEAT and Skoda do ... as for the VW being better engineered ..maybe but there were less rattles in the scenic i had on hire - like 0 compared to the poxy rattle from the rear, door and centre console that my MkV has. Don't get me wrong the VW is a nice car but this thing about VW's being better (and it isn't aimed at anyone) just isn't true. I keep looking but will probably still have the VW in a years time, unless I really like the Focus CC in the flesh or the Megane 175 is good , or if I go back to petrol - Clio 197 [:D] still the mpg on those might be shocking, I only managed 25mpg out of a 1.6 Vauxhall Ashtray,

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh yeah mate it definately felt quicker than the Furby. My best mate was on the test drive with me and I took him out in the Megane and he thought the same.
I was just thinking about something u said there mate, about it 'feeling' faster, i think their 8.8 0-60 which is about the same as the VRS aint it? But feeling quicker is sometimes more fun anyway! uve made me really wanna drive one now, lol

Only mentioned this cos a bit ago we did a test drive day thing, I drove a Saab 93 1.9 Tid 150 bhp with a Hirshe chip so 175 bhp, a BMW 320D and an A4 2.0 TDi 140 bhp, they were all 06 cars with about 400 miles on...

The Saab felt and sounded really fast, came up 0-60 in 9.4 i think

The A4 felt the slowest and was at 9.8

and Beemer was awsome and hit 60 in 8 point something and had amazing grip and was the best around the 100 mark, torquey as u like

As I drove the Saab last it felt and sounded faster, lol, if it hadnt been for the stop watch i would of thought it was!

If i was gonna spend the £25k id deffo go for the BM!

*makes a mental note to take stopwatch again for this Megane* [:D]

I think the Sport model of the Megane looks very nice, i also think the saloon isnt all that now, saw one the other day, obviously need to drive one but they have very impressive mpg figures and id be interest to know more on this 175 bhp jobbie!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The engine currently exisits in the Laguna GT, 0-62 is 8.2 IRC so this should fall to 7.5 in the Megane, then with a chip that should fall under 7 seconds. The car allegedly looks like the 225 (which is a good thing IMO) and the chassis uses alloy components and is tweeked by renault sport, I seem to have read its due late this year, early next.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just had a look at them Lagunas, ok but big ol cars aint they!

Ive just seen the 'Sport' ive been watching on AT has now dropped to £4750 ono! although it has done 91k on a 52 plate 2003 model, still the cheapst one on there!

May wait till after xmas and see how their doing then!

Muuuuuuuuuust Reeeeeeesist Teeeeeeeemptation, lol

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
You would pick something up cheaper from the auction, and if you can buy before christmas. People don't tend to buy cars as they are too busy saving for crimbo. Check out the megane owners forum for help before you commit, the early cars did have a few glitches.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts