Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from 30mph upto about 90mph ish on a private road of course, the focus was pulling away from me all the time, is there something wrong with my GTi or could this have been a sleeper? Cause I KNOW I should have got passed  it. My car is booked  in for a diagnostic check tomorrow, hopefully nothin will be wrong

·
Registered
418 Posts
Must have had some work done to it you should have waisted a 170 if it was the new ST then i could understand it lol

Chris

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I might well have been one of the many tuned up ST170 out there,if I had a ?1 every time I was asked,"do you do cams for the ST170"

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I have kept up with a 350Z upto 100mph on a private road, and I was only just beat to 60mph by a Leon Cupra R 225, and I had 4 people in mine, there was him and his tiny girlfriend in his, so im guessing the ST170 wasnt standard. I also kind of kept up with a ST170 in my previous car which was a Polo TDiPD sport 100bhp. Not to worry get REVO and desimate all.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You never know I suppose. I gave the driver of a boxster S a bit of a fright once in my TT. He pulled into the same petrol station as me after our little 'race' and asked me how the hell I was pulling away from him... 270bhp under my bonnet had something to do with it! (Mine's a 225TTC with AmD remap, milltek, viper DV, modified induction, brembos and some trick aero from Abt). Aside from the slightly larger exhausts and deeper note, the car looks standard. Always fun to see off a civic type R in such a way as to leave them for dead... they're then no doubt thumbing through the performance figures for a TT, wondering why they couldn't even get close to me [:D]

·
Registered
310 Posts
I kept up with a ST170 from 30ish to 80 in a A3 1.9TDI (105bhp one) theres no way he should have been pulling away assuming the 170 was standard and you had fired through 2nd and 3rd gear.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I might well have been one of the many tuned up ST170 out there,if I had a ?1 every time I was asked,"do you do cams for the ST170"
Yeah probably wasn't standard. Let's hope not anyway!

What kind of power are these tuned STs running DB?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Looking about a couple of forums they don't go much past 200bhp without spending some serious money for forced induction. A cam/induction kit/ remap and  catback exhaust gives it 200bhp ish.  Even at that a GTI should at least be able to keep up as its still going to have more torque, of course all depends on the circumstances of the event if the ST was sitting in 2nd and got the foot down first and the golf maybe a second or two later in 3rd the focus would have had a good head start for the Golf to make up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He didnt get a jump on me in the gears we both shot through 2nd and 3rd at the same time, the only other thing I can think of is, that I had only been in my car about 5 mins, so could my car not being too warm have anything to do with it? Does any 1 else feel there GTi feels sluggy for the 1st 20 mins or so?

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
U can't drive
I was thinking this aswell as imho a st170 is not really special in my
books, your gti is a whole 1 second quicker to 60 than a st170 i really
think you should of left him by a fair few car lengths at least.

Sat

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I had a play with one last week on the M57. Lets just say he tried but failed.

I was on my own he had 2 mates and himself, he pulled along side give me the look and floored it, he didnt get away.[;)]

Dont really think he should of left you mate.[:(] must of had something done to his 170.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know i SHOULD have left him, this is why I am concerned about my car, has been in workshop but no faults were found. Will have to have a rolling road power test.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I know i SHOULD have left him, this is why I am concerned about my car, has been in workshop but no faults were found. Will have to have a rolling road power test.
....or maybe there's a forum member with a GTI you could meet up with [:)]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts