Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just bought a Gti Anniversary, and reading all sorts of comments about corrosion, white worm etc etc, which scares me a little...anyway

I guess the only thing I can do for now is care for my alloys the best I can regardless of cost. On my previous car ('Flymo' Corsa) I used autogleam alloy wheel cleaner, but this is acidic based and I don't want to chance it on my new bbs 18'' rims....so where the hell can I buy this MC2 / Virosol cleaner?? been looking on the net and can't find anything.

I will also wax my wheels once a week to try and prevent this corrosion...if not vw will have to replace under my 12months waranty...which I have in writing.that they will do just in case lol!

Your help would be appreciated

Tom

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Hi

Just bought a Gti Anniversary, and reading all sorts of comments about corrosion, white worm etc etc, which scares me a little...anyway

I guess the only thing I can do for now is care for my alloys the best I can regardless of cost. On my previous car ('Flymo' Corsa) I used autogleam alloy wheel cleaner, but this is acidic based and I don't want to chance it on my new bbs 18'' rims....so where the hell can I buy this MC2 / Virosol cleaner?? been looking on the net and can't find anything.

I will also wax my wheels once a week to try and prevent this corrosion...if not vw will have to replace under my 12months waranty...which I have in writing.that they will do just in case lol!

Tom
http://www.olympiccleaning.com/ - Though their site is being poo and not loading at all.

http://www.olympiccleaning.com/detail_image.asp?Code=C0C180

www.jantastic.co.uk used to work to but doesn't anymore !

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I use Virosol and really cant recommend it enough!

I was gonna get some for a pal to stop him stealing mine but having
bought my previous supply from Jantastic I'll ahve to look for an
alternative source . . .

·
Registered
837 Posts
I bought my Virosol from Jantastic too. Possibly the best purchase I've ever made. Makes cleaning wheels soo easy, especially if you have a pressure-washer. I reckon I only clean my wheels by hand once every couple of months because the Virosol pretty much gets everything off every time.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hi

Just bought a Gti Anniversary, and reading all sorts of comments
about corrosion, white worm etc etc, which scares me a little...anyway

I guess the only thing I can do for now is care for my alloys the
best I can regardless of cost. On my previous car ('Flymo' Corsa) I
used autogleam alloy wheel cleaner, but this is acidic based and I
don't want to chance it on my new bbs 18'' rims....so where the hell
can I buy this MC2 / Virosol cleaner?? been looking on the net and
can't find anything.

I will also wax my wheels once a week to try and prevent this
corrosion...if not vw will have to replace under my 12months
waranty...which I have in writing.that they will do just in case lol!

Tom
http://www.olympiccleaning.com/ - Though their site is being poo and not loading at all.

http://www.olympiccleaning.com/detail_image.asp?Code=C0C180

www.jantastic.co.uk used to work to but doesn't anymore !
Do you know what their delivery costs are like?

I've just ordered some from http://www.mustang-cleaningsupplies.co.uk for ?17.05 delivered.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
If you keep on top of it & wash her every week , you shouldnt need any "wheel" cleaner, just shampoo & hot water.

If I had those anni wheels thats all I'd be using.

2p [:)]

·
Registered
942 Posts
Now come on Jace, we've hardly got the weather this time of year to
keep on top of it [;)] a lot of people don't have the weekends either
[:'(]

·
Registered
837 Posts
Now come on Jace, we've hardly got the weather this time of year to keep on top of it [;)] a lot of people don't have the weekends either [:'(]
Have to agree there. I rack up nearly 500 miles a week and don't tend to get home until 7 in the evenings [:(]. Weekend is the only time I get to clean the car and after that mileage, my wheels require the gentle persuasion of diluted Virosol and a pressure-washer - either that or about 15 minutes of scrubbing a corner !

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Now come on Jace, we've hardly got the weather this time of year to keep on top of it [;)] a lot of people don't have the weekends either [:'(]
Have to agree there. I rack up nearly 500 miles a week and don't tend to get home until 7 in the evenings [:(]. Weekend is the only time I get to clean the car and after that mileage, my wheels require the gentle persuasion of diluted Virosol and a pressure-washer - either that or about 15 minutes of scrubbing a corner !
Similar milage to me there, & I guess those arthur wheels are even more of a swine to clean than montys.

But for the sake of a few mins extra I'd rather use a sponge, sponge & my megs wheel brush...than use an acidic type of cleaner..

Then again, if we were all the same the world would be a boring place wouldnt it [:#]

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I've used MC2 for about 18 months now and not a single problem. Only used 2/3s pf a bottle too and I am an obsessive when it comes to washing my car !!

Even on the 'diamond cut' style GTI Monza IIs there's no problem.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I certainly wouldn't consider Virosol to be particularly harsh, especially when diluted 1:4 - it is after all, a multi-surface, domestic cleaner. But then I'm lazy so I would say that [:)]. Anything that makes cleaning the car easier is a bonus !

·
Registered
942 Posts
Arrived today so delivery service not too bad at all. Hopefully I'll
try it out on my Dad's car at the weekend, as his wheels are terrible.

·
Registered
942 Posts
How do I use Viro-Sol? I'm assuming it needs to be diluted at something like 4-1 or 5-1.

My Dad's car wheels are really bad, as he didn't clean it for months
and the brake dust is baked on. Will the Viro-Sol lift it off? Do I
just spray it on and leave it for 5 mins or agitate it with the wheel
cleaning brush? I also have a pressure washer.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
If its particalarily bad then I'd use it neat. Have you got a spray bottle you can use to spray it on?

I did my girlfriends Avus II's the other week. They haven't been cleaned for over six months... Jet washed the wheels first to remove any loose bits of dirt, then sprayed on some viro-sol in neat concentration. Left it for five mins then jet washed off. I'd say about 95% of the crap came of the wheels just leaving a few specs in between the spokes. Sparyed some on again and got to work with a wheel brush.

Now there as good as new!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts