Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
This is what i keep saying though, in a day and age where people are obsessed with more power than anything else, the GTI is already behind to some cars that are over 3yrs old!

200bhp has been achievable in a hatchback for years now, and therefore there isn't a 'wow' factor with it anymore. You can guarantee that the top Astra, Focus and god knows what else will come along next year and have more power still.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris I do agree with your comments but the way I look at it has so much more in other areas too. I can't really put into words how to say it but Clarkson seem'd to do this just perfectly in TG Mag review. I think we will all want one after this weeks topgear program.

If you haven't read the TG Mag go buy one - you'll want one then - its a great write up.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
That lump if running the same trubo gear etc as the mazda 6 will easily achieve over 300bhp most likely from a remap, in the mazda 6 it runs just under 260 bhp as standard.

Bang for your buck it will be pretty good and will be interesting to see if they can make the hatchback handles as well as the mazda 6 saloon.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Do they do a hot mazda 6? I overtook a "sport" one the other day and found it surprisingly tricky to shake him off. It had twin pipes etc, so might it have been this 260hp one? I assumed it was just a v6 having a good day!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Quote: posted by simch on 01/12/2004 13:14:47

Do they do a hot mazda 6? I overtook a "sport" one the other day and found it surprisingly tricky to shake him off. It had twin pipes etc, so might it have been this 260hp one? I assumed it was just a v6 having a good day!

Wait 'til the hot ones arrive!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
So what...it's still just a Mazda, there's nothing special about it like there is with the Golf GTI. Although it is clearly very important it's not all about how many more horses a car has or who will beat who at the lights.

Do you want a nice all round package? Yes!

Does the new GTI give you all that? Yes!

Even the picture of that Mazda in the link, it's just, a car...doesn't look anything special.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
The Mazda brand/image isn't my thing. I'd much rather have a lesser powered, higher priced Golf.

Erm.....am I feeling ok? [:I]

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Agree with JC 'You have everthing you could possibly want all wrapped up in one car'

To quote more; The Golf is a three or five door hatchback with folding rear seats. Easy to park. It's in Insurance group 17e. It does 34mpg. It goes like stink, sounds like a philharmonic orchestra, fits into every social circle and in all probability will never break down.

I bet you can't think of a single other car which does quite so much, quite so well as the new Golf GTI. On every level - socially, dynamically, practically - it scores either nine or ten of out ten.

not forgetting a diesel variant will follow!

You know deep down us v dub fans all want to own a 'GTI' MK5 MY WORDS!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Quote: posted by adam10780 on 01/12/2004 21:43:15

To quote more; The Golf is a three or five door hatchback with folding rear seats. Easy to park. It's in Insurance group 17e. It does 34mpg. It goes like stink, sounds like a philharmonic orchestra, fits into every social circle and in all probability will never break down.

and the Mazda is what exactly?

·
Registered
703 Posts
i have a mazda3 and sure its not as comfortable as the new golf and maybe a little more noisey inside, but i prefer the plastics on the interior the new golf. Also its got a very capable chassis, even in the 1.6TS2 form. Can't wait to see the higher powered version. Also, its not as dull looking as the MKV (no offence to you all who one, but it is bland).

But the biggest reason for choosing the mazda is that it has much better customer service, better value car. If i could have stretched to the Golf then I wouldn't have due to the crap customer care.

Its all friendly competition, though I doubt the mazda will be able to beat the Golf, (its not as refined, but that much less, and lacks some of the more gadget type features that the golf has as standard across the range -though the mazda very well specced at the price).

sorry for the long post... can't wait for the return of the midsize hot hatches now.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
We're talking just the GTI here guys...not the Golf persay.

The GTI has a different grill, red strips on the front, painted calipers, chrome twin exhausts, either 17 or 18" wheels from THE FACTORY, a spoiler etc etc all the things WE MOANED about the MKIV not having. I don't see what is so bland looking about all that.

It's not an M3 nor the price of one, so what do you want from this car exactly???

Now if we're talking about which car looks bland, tell me out of these two cars which looks more bland? [xx(]

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Just to clarify from my previous post the hot version of the mazda 6 is the MPS which has a 2.3ltr turbo lump pushing out 257 bhp.

I for one will not be buying a Golf GTI as it does nothing for me and is to expensive for a hatchback !!!!! that comment also goes for the r32 s3 etc its as if car companys have forgotten what they are actually selling.

Anyway rant over.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Totally the GTi is a much better looking car due to kit and different paint on grill etc... but then you go an compare to the regular Mazda3...

The performance version of the mazda 6 looks soo much better, i would assume the 3 would too.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know which car I rather say I owned - GTI or NOT the golf will always be regarded as a class above [^]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts