Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I received a phone call from my local volkswagon garage they left a message for my to bring my car because of the recall for the coil pack. I am aware there is a recall for the coil pack on the mk4 R32 but not aware of any other models. I have a mk4 anniversary.

So maybe worth a call

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Hi Stu,

Welcome and cheers for your first post. The coil pack problem was definitely a problem on later 1.8t's - good to hear VW are being productive about it now - thy've had long enough.

I hear at the time that VW would only replace a coilpack at a time on a car, only as and when they went faulty, even though all could be suspect. They would only replace after failure, not in advance, so I am impressed that the dealers are being proactive on a mkiv anniversary after all these years.

The dealer must be after something...!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the welcome. I haven't had any problem with my anni it has been great, so far. I was just wondering if it was a current problem or one that has been around for a while. I think it will have something to do with my cousin being the service advisor, he did also let my brother in law know. Would like to think If there was an issue that vw would let everyone know.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
the coil pack on a mates 1.8t must have been replaced 4-5 times in the 2 years he had it! just sold it though and bought himself an rx8, he thought he had problems with the golf!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
It's definitely a problem on the later 1.8t engines I hear - mine is a 2000 AGU with the different coilpacks and has not missed a single beat since I bought it in 2002. The ignition amplifier on mine is what I worry about! Well, that and the crappy waterpump going again...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts