Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lads looking to pick yer brains for some info. Basically, prob goin to buy a '99 GTi Turbo next week. Its got 54k on the clock with vwsh. So is there anything I should look out for on a car of this age & mileage?

Secondly and more importantly I want to whats the max BHP I can get out of this car? Its non-DBW with a standard 150bhp lump in it. I was thinkin along the lines of a revo stage 1, induction kit, DV & a milltek full stainless steel R32 exhaust. Any1 know what sort of BHP I'd be gettin off of the car after I upgrade to these mods. Also if you have some advice on the above mods or some other info ie better remaps exhaust etc I would be grateful if u let me know.

Safe cruizen

Rev

·
Registered
48 Posts
Buy something slightly newer and get the ko3s turbo.. much more potential :)

OR buy that one, and buy a turbo upgrade... Not to the ko3s or ko4, something much better :D then you can get major bhp.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lads tks for all the info I'm some what better off than when I made my post....but if any1 has anymore info to share I'd be more than grateful. Bit dissapointed that it seems a struggle for the car to break the 200bhp barrier.

Regards

Rev

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
The ko3 turbo is the limiting factor it just can't flow enough air further up the rev range, fitting a ko3s out of the later cars and a custom map will see you comfortably past 220. this is the route i'm going down

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems to be the way forward as you and a few other have said so. How much does the ko3 turbo cost fitted? Also just for the sake of it how much is a ko4 turbo and is there much diff between this and the ko3?

Cheers Rev

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Ko3s can be purchased second hand for 200 to 250, not sure on fitting cost as i'm doing it myself, ko4 is a lot more work for not that great a gain. You'll need new possibly custom downpipes, manifold and stuff

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So u reckon a k03s is the route to take? I must have a look at ebay. Do u know if its a major job to fit or will most decent garages be able to do it. What about strain on the rest of the engine and is the turbo all i need? Mate u have been a massive help to me.

Rev

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
You will need the turbo inlet pipe off an AUQ or AUM engine, and new gaskets. It won't strain the engine and if you do things like a downpipe and stuff even with a really good map you'll barely be stressing the engine you should see 230 ish maybe a bit more, people run circa 300+ on stock internals

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So along with the k03s turbo I'm also looking for an inlet pipe from a AUQ or AUM along with a new gasket? Where would I find these to buy and how much? Also is a ownpipe needed or an option and what exactly does that do?

Cheers Rev

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Sorry i meant all you need is the gaskets available from vdub plus a new inlet pipe you can either get this from the dealer or I bought a forge silicone job.

The downpipe and stuff are just modied parts to get the most out of it, they're not essential but as yu'll be getting a custom map it would be worthwhile

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just e-mailed a few parts co on the net to see how much for the gaskets & inlet pipes cost. The info I need is slowly begining to come together. Whats the vdub crowd I went in to there site and all it seems to be is a paint shop?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bora-Tom what can I say you have been great, hope all goes to plan. Ill let you know how I get on when its done. Again tks for all your help...

Later

Rev

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a 2001 (Y) reg golf (AUM I think). Anyone know what turbo it will have.

How much are re-maps & where is the best place to get them done? (I live in Essex)

Thanks in advance

1 - 17 of 17 Posts